Release anyone remember yeti 3d? SuPeR EnHaNcEd VeRSioN

j0e

So I'm releasing this in its half-baked, unfinished state. Originally meant for a game but kinda abandoned after I realised nobody would play it. Originally meant to be released for the upcoming coding competition but exams and stuff got in the way. So instead of letting it go to waste I thought I'd share my efforts; perhaps someone will find it useful or something.

DISCLAIMER: this is in no way finished or polished. expect bugs, jerkiness and general unplayability. this is a tech demo at best and a minor amusement for enthusiasts of yeti3d at worst.

Summary of changes compared to original yeti3dpro:

• double map size
  • double player size (for more precise maps)
  • double texture size from 64x64 to 128x128
  • all resources now loaded externally
  • sound code
  • PaRTiCLe sYsTeM
  • multiple weapons
  • mouse looking
  • a "better" map editor (windows only for now)
  • triggers for doors! (code semi-jacked from Cube engine) - hideously unoptimised for now lol
  • probably a host of other stuff but that's all I can remember for now
zip containing windows binaries, editor, tools and source code available, as well as Pandora-runnable pnd.

for some reason the latest version of cdevtools w/ code::blocks doesn't have SDL_mixer included, so no sound for the pandora version (should be trivial to re-implement).

to compile on win32, use code::blocks with some version of mingw-gcc. I believe the package should be self-contained.

to compile on pandora I used ptitSeb's cdevtools + codeblocks pnd.

note: editor is windows only (due to some library not being available on pandora, can't remember which one) and a bit flaky. DO NOT look at editor source code if you're touchy about bad code (it's a fucking disgrace). press esc to open console, type help and press enter for all keys and commands. if you've ever used the Cube engine editor it should make at least a margin of sense. for the rest of you: good luck...

controls are fairly straight forward:

windows:

WASD move, space jump, TAB switch weapon, click to fire. 2 is the "start" button in-game, use W/S to navigate the menus and SPACE to pick things (I know it's completely counter-intuitive but the controls are optimised for pandora...)

pandora:

proper oldskool controls. if you've ever played doom/quake 2 on the ps1, you'll be at home. arrow keys move/turn, X fire, A jump, Y/B to look (select for center view), L/R strafe, START to pause. menu keys work as expected. I don't think weapon switching works for pandora, but it's probably something as trivial as a misbinded key.

in both cases, press escape to quit instantly.

any questions, feel free to shoot me a message.

other than that, have some screenies:

KpYBe4y.png

QFrUHlO.png

gVKoM29.png

7zXMrnm.png

PND attached to this post; download link for PC version: http://www.mediafire.com/download/d205c2uo4ytn220/yeti3dnew(2).zip

edit: NEW download link and PND! check it out!

yeti3dnew.pnd

Attachments

• yeti3dnew.pnd
    8 MB · Views: 217
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow looks good and the editor looks like something I could even approach. I'll have to check it out soon.

Woah, looks great :)

SDL_mixer will be included in next codeblocks release.

Also, I can try to compile the editor on the next codeblock, to make sure I add the right libs.

Cheers, ptitseb :)

Any chance of adding a slightly more MOD-friendly library such as fmod? Not a thing that's desperately needed but it would be nice for the prospect of interactive music and so forth.

Hum, for fmod, I tried (with zdoom) to use a version from Android (and from Blackberry), but none of them linked correctly (I had an obscure error where "stat' is hidden in the DSO or something like that). So, no :( no fmod for now.

I used the fmod for linux in a project. It was armv6 but still linked. The Android one didn't work for me too.

I used the fmod for linux in a project. It was armv6 but still linked. The Android one didn't work for me too.
I haven't found a linux/arm build on the fmod site archive. But maybe I haven't looked ard enough.

But as long as you don't use 3D postionning, as sebt3 said, it's quite easy to convert to SDL_mixer.

Woah, looks great :)

SDL_mixer will be included in next codeblocks release.

Also, I can try to compile the editor on the next codeblock, to make sure I add the right libs.
BTW can you please make an easy Option for using LinuxBochs GLSHIM inside Codeblocks too?

Not as standard,but maybe a switch sh for using GLSHIM or normal Pandora Gles ^_^

That would be nice and sorry for the Offtopic ;)

Wow looks realy good this PND thx for releasing Nix :D

Hum, for fmod, I tried (with zdoom) to use a version from Android (and from Blackberry), but none of them linked correctly (I had an obscure error where "stat' is hidden in the DSO or something like that). So, no :( no fmod for now.
If you have the exact error you could post it, the only reason I say this is looking in my code base I have the following:

#if defined(_BADA1_SDK)
extern "C"
{
void *__dso_handle = NULL;
}
#endif

#if defined(_ANDROID)
void * __dso_handle = NULL;
#endif
It has been long enough now that I don't remember exactly what this fixed, but it was certainly a linker error to do with the above symbol. Shipped a bunch of games since that went in without any problems.
EDIT: Just so it is clear, that code is in one of my .cpp files, and without it a library I attempt to link against causes a linking error.

If you have the exact error you could post it, the only reason I say this is looking in my code base I have the following:

#if defined(_BADA1_SDK)
extern "C"
{
void *__dso_handle = NULL;
}
#endif

#if defined(_ANDROID)
void * __dso_handle = NULL;
#endif

It has been long enough now that I don't remember exactly what this fixed, but it was certainly a linker error to do with the above symbol. Shipped a bunch of games since that went in without any problems.

EDIT: Just so it is clear, that code is in one of my .cpp files, and without it a library I attempt to link against causes a linking error.
Oh, ok, thanks, I'll try that.

So the void *__dso_handle is not inside a extern "C" for Android ?

Converting from fmod to sdl_mixer is easy. Have a look at this https://code.google.com/p/mario-project/issues/detail?id=1
 Problem is, SDL_Mixer doesn't have very good MOD support - they loop incorrectly and there's no support for things like jumping to different orders/patterns inside the mod.
BTW can you please make an easy Option for using LinuxBochs GLSHIM inside Codeblocks too?

Not as standard,but maybe a switch sh for using GLSHIM or normal Pandora Gles ^_^

That would be nice and sorry for the Offtopic ;)

Wow looks realy good this PND thx for releasing Nix :D
You're very welcome ingoreis! :D Thing is, Yeti3d doesn't actually use openGL at all! It uses its very own built-in software renderer, which is what made it so amazing back when it was released. Conversion to openGL may or may not be high priority depending on what someone wants to do with it, but it probably wouldn't be a trivial task.

you must be really _really_ lucky if a lib taken from android just works directly arm/linux. take a look at apkenv's source :)

Oh, ok, thanks, I'll try that.

So the void *__dso_handle is not inside a extern "C" for Android ?
The code I pasted was copied straight from my code base, and came from a .cpp file; it seems a little odd to be honest, but I guess you could try with/without extern "C", perhaps for you it won't work either way, but it seemed to do the trick for me!

Funny,next Step is to try the Level Editor,or can you share Maps here?

I am not good in making Levels :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/xD3PzaJBBGM?feature=oembed
Awesome that you made a video! - although you did only show off the least impressive "test" level, level one. Level two and three are much nicer. Perhaps I should have put the test level at the end (or given them more descriptive names)? :p

edit: Also, what did you use to capture the video? It's got a very nice sort-of TV or VHS-style feel to it.

second edit: of course you can share maps here, or if you are asking me to share maps I've made here, all the maps I've made for this game come with the package. orig, kdizd, coolroom and triggers are the ones you wanna look at (as far as I remember, Level One points to triggers, Level Two points to orig and Level Three points to kdizd, so if you wanna see coolroom without editing the source code, just rename it). any other levels there are probably from previous versions and probably won't work (messed up textures, half as big) or even crash the game. you are warned...

Oki doki,will try this Evening Level2 and i search then for the other newer selfmade Levels ;)

Was only o short Test Yesterday because i was recording a Vid with the 3DO Emulator and thought make one with this.

My Videorecording Hardware is simple,a BT484 TV Card with WDM Drivers with the Pandora over SVHS/Svideo connected and the best Recording Software which is Rare,Intervideo WinDVR3 with realtime Mpeg2 Encoding in 16:9 Format.

Ideal for Youtubevids here ;)

Choosed Full NTSC Mpeg2 with 4000Mbits and 128k Sound.

Rest over the Official TV Out Cable and free Youtube Music.

Next Video soon,but first working ;)

Oki doki,will try this Evening Level2 and i search then for the other newer selfmade Levels ;)

Was only o short Test Yesterday because i was recording a Vid with the 3DO Emulator and thought make one with this.
Nice one :)

If you wait one or two days longer, I'm working on upping the frame rate to 50 fps. Since yeti3d works at a fixed frame rate this actually involves tweaking all the physics routines so they "feel right" at 50 frames per second. Shouldn't take long but it will mean that the game will feel a little "off" for a while until I get everything perfectly tuned.

I might also have a go at making a more playable (and prettier) test map ;)

Oki doki,Yesterday was it too late ;)

I will wait for the newer Version then and is there

an Option to make own Walls with Pictures or

insert own Weapon Sounds?

Maybe i can make a little Star Trek inspired Level with this ;)

Back