Anyone Get There Tracking/shipping Email Yet?

The guys wandered into our emulator dev channel - they know I'm waiting for a Pandora, and they really don't like it. I mean they really, really hate it. We dealt with it, but it's not the only IRC channel I've heard of this happening on, as recently I've decided that I'm probably not going to port one of my emulators to ARM and there are a few people not happy about that by the state of some of the emails I've received.

And yes, there are some of our more latin-persuaded friends that really hate Craig and what he (and the team) have achieved.

As for the queue, there is some speculation on another forum that they're sending them out to known devs and people who are going to be useful to the scene first.

D.

WizardStan said:
Monk said:
.es eh? There's been enough problems with OpenPandora as it is - why on EARTH would people want to go making stuff up???
They really, really, really hate Craig. They believe they have a reason, I'm sure.

Edit: A small minority from the GP32Spain community thinks Craig set out to destroy the GP2X community.

I don't believe that, since the GP2X community had slowed down a fair bit before Pandora was announced. The hardware really wasn't that interesting, so there wasn't much people could do that wasn't already done. Yeah, there were definitely a few good games still being made. But, there was next to no advancement on the emulation front...even now there still isn't fullspeed SNES emulation. Sure, you can use frameskip, but in my opinion, frameskip is not synonymous with fullspeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hating Craig I can understand. But the behaviour, as I interpret it, seems incredibly... childish? Churlish? Not ingratiating in any way that I can see.

I can well imagine Craig doing something to irk a whole bunch of people, but ...

I ran out of words. Words completely fail me. I'm not unhappy if they want to bash Craig and even the Pandora in return for slights from the past, that's their business and presumably their right, but one has to have a sense of honesty about it - or how can one hope to inhabit the high ground? People. They're odd.

quadomatic said:
The GP32Spain community thinks he set out to destroy the GP2X community.

I don't believe that

Since Craig was still selling hardware to the GP2X community, I'd be surprised if he set out to do it. They may have been falling into the common trap of assuming evil intent when incompetance was an easier explanation, but few businesses deliberately set out to poo on their doorstep before moving at least their furniture to a new abode. It also seems that they must have not just a low judgement of his personality, but a very high judgement of his impact. I mean - is Craig REALLY so powerful that he could damage a community like GP2X? If he could, how poor/weak would the 2community" have to have been back then? Silly, IMHO. Most trolls don't get that kind of validation, yet by definition pretty much all they do is attack/disrupt.

Dunny said:
The guys wandered into our emulator dev channel - they know I'm waiting for a Pandora, and they really don't like it. I mean they really, really hate it. We dealt with it, but it's not the only IRC channel I've heard of this happening on, as recently I've decided that I'm probably not going to port one of my emulators to ARM and there are a few people not happy about that by the state of some of the emails I've received.

And yes, there are some of our more latin-persuaded friends that really hate Craig and what he (and the team) have achieved.

As for the queue, there is some speculation on another forum that they're sending them out to known devs and people who are going to be useful to the scene first.

D.

Man, screw that. I can't believe people harass you over these things. You'd think your fanbase would be mature enough to not have multiple people who act like over-entitled children.

To be fair, about the whole gp32spain thing, it's really not everyone there. Or rather, it's probably just a minority of people. There are some really dedicated hold outs there too, like here. I got unhappy replies once for making an "are you from gp32spain" comment, so it's best no one makes anyone else think that there's prejudice against the place.

I have no problem with GP32Spain. Actually, I think the mere fact that there are 2 major forums for open handhelds is a testament to how strong open handhelds are.

It certainly seems that most of the fanatical haters are from GP32Spain, but you're right - it's not everybody, and I should probably rephrase my prior statement.

Monk said:
Hating Craig I can understand. But the behaviour, as I interpret it, seems incredibly... childish? Churlish? Not ingratiating in any way that I can see.
Not to mention short sighted. If they've got any brains they'd switch to a new strategy. Telling everybody that UNIT-X is vaporware a week before customers start posting unboxing videos doesn't really achieve what they seem to be hoping for.

They need to start telling people that Craigix couldn't get enough OMAP chips so he used Z80s instead and is hoping that no one notices.

Vlynndar said:
By the way, where did you, Moxie and EvilDragon (and possibly some other people) get those avatars?

IIRC it was from the Wind & Water Battles game on GP2X? For a limited time they made custom avatars for people who bought the game.

emil10001 said:
First off, as I have said several times, I was told a few months ago that I was #9 in the queue. Pretty hard to misunderstand that, and well after the banking debacle was sorted out. Yes, it's possible that Jacquelyn had been giving the wrong estimates, that is a possibility. However, according to pre-order confirmation e-mail times, I was in 45 minutes before at least one of the people that got the shipping e-mail today. It is also possible that there was an issue today with the e-mails being sent, I would not be surprised if this were the case.

Regardless, we were told over and over again that they were going to follow the order in which our pre-orders were placed. This, from what I can tell, does not seem to be happening.

...and all I'm saying, is that you at this moment haven't really got much to go on to back up the "does not seem to be happening" part. Give it a few days. Let the mails trickle through mailservers and bounce on Craigs lousy internet connection and get fished up from your spam folder or whatever. If, in a few days, we've gotten some more substantial amounts of people who got their emails, and you still have't got one, then there might be cause for worry. In which case I'd wager that a quick email or call to Jaquelyn would clear things up pronto.

emil10001 said:
Got this e-mail this morning:

Hello John,

Your order is being shipped on Monday, as we missed the cut-off time for UPS shipping. Your tracking number will be sent directly from UPS by email and you will receive a confirmation of shipping email from ourselves. Your order will be delivered witin 24/48hrs.

Many thanks for your continued support it is really appreciated.

Kind regards
Jacquelyn

And a twitter update from craig:
We missed RM SDel shipping deadline yesterday, won't arrive until after the weekend, sorry everyone. 50+ more will be done today...

That's good enough for me.

There's this little part of me that jumps up and down, shouting "Told you so!!!" :)

GunPei2X said:
Vlynndar said:
By the way, where did you, Moxie and EvilDragon (and possibly some other people) get those avatars?

IIRC it was from the Wind & Water Battles game on GP2X? For a limited time they made custom avatars for people who bought the game.

Yup, that's it.

Woo!

I didn't get the letter that everyone else is talking about, but I got a letter from Google :

Subject: Your order from OpenPandora Ltd has shipped (£216.66)
Hello Andrew P [Last Name],

Great news! Your order has shipped, and should arrive soon. Your credit card has successfully been charged for this order.

So that's got to be a good sign, right?

VRAndy said:
Woo!

I didn't get the letter that everyone else is talking about, but I got a letter from Google :

Great news! Your order has shipped, and should arrive soon. Your credit card has successfully been charged for this order.

o_ô

-God Ginrai

VRAndy said:
Woo!

I got that email as well, along with the one from openpandorasales, so I guess you should expect to see the other one soon.

Also, congratulations fellow F5er! :p

Phawx said:
@VRAndy

When did you place your order?

I ordered on the first day, my confirmation email was dated "Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:07:47 +0100"

VRAndy said:
I ordered on the first day, my confirmation email was dated "Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:07:47 +0100"

hmmm not long i hope here is mine "September 30, 2008 04:03:18 PM UTC"

VRAndy said:
Woo!

Weeeel, as OpenPandora didn't have your money yet (if they've only just charged your credit card) then it would seem to blow the idea that units were being sent in "money received" order right out the window!

Google Checkout is probably just reminding customers that their cards have been charged.

Now...just waiting for mine soon...only another 3900 to go or so...if they make a hundred a day, it'll take 40 days.

Yeah, I received the same mail from Google and I was charged long ago. I did check to make sure I wasn't charged again after reading that though. I think it's just a standard message from Google.

Well, I hope you're happy. You've ruined a PERFECTLY GOOD conspiracy theory on the basis of nothing but fact!

Back