Any News From The Assembly Line ?

My initial post is 8 hours old, and still unanswered...
Is the hired assembly team that bad ? Do they fry every Pandora they touch ?
I can't believe ED doesn't know what his financial partner (who lives in a neighbour country, not in Hawaii) is doing, and I can't believe Craig doesn't know how well his employees work !
The more the OP team remains silent, the more this thread and the whole situation will go mad :(
Bye, Magic Sam

Magic Sam said:
My initial post is 8 hours old, and still unanswered...
Is the hired assembly team that bad ? Do they fry every Pandora they touch ?
I can't believe ED doesn't know what his financial partner (who lives in a neighbour country, not in Hawaii) is doing, and I can't believe Craig doesn't know how well his employees work !
The more the OP team remains silent, the more this thread and the whole situation will go mad :(
Bye, Magic Sam
It's the fckin weekend :angry:
Why don't you wait until this time tomorrow night and if they still haven't answered by then, feel free to complain.
They have personal lives too you know <_<

EDIT: And for the people who say that they've only just found out that there's more than one Pandora distributor on the planet; your either talking complete balls or you didn't even bother to take the time out to find out who you were giving your money to in the first place.. and that just makes you an idiot.

Threads like this make Elmo cry :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll try to answer them for you.

Magic Sam said:
Sunday 13th june here in this part of the world, #250-350 in the queue, still no shipping confirmation mail... Any news ?
Nope, no news. We would have known if there was.

How is the assembly going ? Are these three hired persons doing a great job ? Any new issues ?
The three hired persons are getting their training while building 200 pandoras and testing them. There's no such thing as "doing a good job" yet. We read about new issues on the forums (check out the "I need help" section). These are the new issues that are being checked.

Can we assume it takes roughly 3 days to build 200 units by a three people team ?
You know what people say about making assumptions. It's generally better not to make them.

Really, that's the information we all have. I don't see your problem other than you are just being irrationally (childishly?) impatient.

I demand Craig inform us how many times he wiped after taking a shit.

@All
In my humble opinion, we should try to keep things as civil as possible. This kind of threads tends to explode if you fuel them too much.

Loonie said:

I second this! It's been two years and we STILL don't have this information. This is dumb. If Craig doesn't let us know this soon, I'm canceling my order.

I agree that thinks should be kept civil. I would also like to reiterate my earlier request for clarification on these Que estimates, and weather they include ED's and Faiths totals.

If my cue position puts me outside of the first 1000, rather than withing 550-650 I need to know, in order to decide how I want to proceed.

Back in the days i preordered a xbox 360.
The initial supply was very tight and my store didn't have enough to supply me at launch...
So i called Bill and he kept me completely up to date about when, where and by whom my xbox was assembled and at what date it would be sent to me... :huh:

Alpha2 said:
Again I think we're getting to a point where people are demanding things that the team isnt comfortable answering because even THEY dont have the info to give an answer that everyone will be happy with. If they give an estimate like all 1000 will be completed by the end of the month and someone who was told that they're in the 800-900 range still doesnt get a shipping confirmation email by July then there'll be rage regardless of the reason that it didnt happen. They dont ship them to customers directly from the hall so all the build crew knows is that they made x amount of systems so far.

Frankly it seems to me that giving out queue information created an expectation that may be leading to some of the disappointment. If the GBAX queue doesnt take into account ED's queue and ED gets a quarter of the first 1000 than someone told they're around 800-900 may not get their system until china ships the rest of the 3000 cases which is going to be well into July if they can mange to ship at all in the next two months. I'm not trying to stir things up, I'm just being realistic, but no one really wants to hear that and if they're really in the heat of trying to buid these things the last things they want to do is step into the forums, create a huge flame war and then have to spent 8 hours trying to calm people down.

I honestly didnt even want to know my place in the queue because I didnt want to be sitting on pins and needles, but while confirming my shipping info my place was revealed to me along with a suggestion that my Pandora should be shipping before the end of the month in time for a trip I was planning. As much as I love the ladies and their helpfulness in giving me the information they did, I feel this was a mistake to suggest that because for all anyone knows there could be a week long delay that keeps my Pandora from going out.

Well... it's known that I get a quarter of the units, therefore 250 and Craig 750 out of those 1000.
We need to keep a few for RMAs and some of the boards may be dead on arrival, so we need to send them back to be fixed.

As we have no idea, how many will be bad (might be 10%, might be 5%) and how long it will take to fix them, it's hard to give a good guesstimation then.

For the next 3000... well, you know how reliable the Chinese company has been with dates, so we keep bugging them and until we get the cases, we can't tell you anything.

So... what else do you need to know?

Last edited:
thomasvdp said:
Back in the days i preordered a xbox 360.
The initial supply was very tight and my store didn't have enough to supply me at launch...
So i called Bill and he kept me completely up to date about when, where and by whom my xbox was assembled and at what date is was sent to me... :huh:

Perhaps you don't want to know this. I do. It's important to me.

Hi Tripmonkey_uk :)
Tripmonkey_uk said:
It's the fckin weekend :angry:
Why don't you wait until this time tomorrow night and if they still haven't answered by then, feel free to complain.
They have personal lives too you know <_<
I know it's Sunday, don't get angry at me like that... truth is, if I had asked the same questions during a working day, the situation would have been the same...
And your "personal lives" argument is not valid IMHO, because Craig was online @ 2 p.m, and ED has been posting all day long <_<
I don't want a wall of text for answer, just a simple "everything is going fine" or "the new team hasn't completed its training yet..." would suffice.
Bye, Magic Sam

EvilDragon said:
How is the new assembly team going ? Is their training complete ?
Bye, Magic Sam

EvilDragon said:
Alpha2 said:
Again I think we're getting to a point where people are demanding things that the team isnt comfortable answering because even THEY dont have the info to give an answer that everyone will be happy with. If they give an estimate like all 1000 will be completed by the end of the month and someone who was told that they're in the 800-900 range still doesnt get a shipping confirmation email by July then there'll be rage regardless of the reason that it didnt happen. They dont ship them to customers directly from the hall so all the build crew knows is that they made x amount of systems so far.

Frankly it seems to me that giving out queue information created an expectation that may be leading to some of the disappointment. If the GBAX queue doesnt take into account ED's queue and ED gets a quarter of the first 1000 than someone told they're around 800-900 may not get their system until china ships the rest of the 3000 cases which is going to be well into July if they can mange to ship at all in the next two months. I'm not trying to stir things up, I'm just being realistic, but no one really wants to hear that and if they're really in the heat of trying to buid these things the last things they want to do is step into the forums, create a huge flame war and then have to spent 8 hours trying to calm people down.

I honestly didnt even want to know my place in the queue because I didnt want to be sitting on pins and needles, but while confirming my shipping info my place was revealed to me along with a suggestion that my Pandora should be shipping before the end of the month in time for a trip I was planning. As much as I love the ladies and their helpfulness in giving me the information they did, I feel this was a mistake to suggest that because for all anyone knows there could be a week long delay that keeps my Pandora from going out.

Well... it's known that I get a quarter of the units, therefore 250 and Craig 750 out of those 1000.
We need to keep a few for RMAs and some of the boards may be dead on arrival, so we need to send them back to be fixed.

As we have no idea, how many will be bad (might be 10%, might be 5%) and how long it will take to fix them, it's hard to give a good guesstimation then.

For the next 3000... well, you know how reliable the Chinese company has been with dates, so we keep bugging them and until we get the cases, we can't tell you anything.

Thank you for this clarification. This is helpful. Once I have a better idea of how many pandoras are going out due to the 3 assemblers I should be able to work out how long I'll be waiting, then decide how I want to proceed.

Cheers.

Loonie said:

According to my sources: "One up, one down, and one to polish".

Hi panik :)
panik said:
We read about new issues on the forums (check out the "I need help" section). These are the new issues that are being checked.
I meant assembling issues, not faulty units which unfortunately reached the customer.
And please, don't tell me how to use this forums...
Really, that's the information we all have. I don't see your problem other than you are just being irrationally (childishly?) impatient.
I've been told to expect some news by the end of this week. Seeing neither new mails in my inbox nor new posts here or on openpandora.org recently, I naively thought I had the right to ask for news about what's going on at the assembly line, that's it.
Bye, Magic Sam

I have to admit that this would be a more pleasant forum were Craig to go back to cancelling orders of people causing trouble.

hedwards said:
I have to admit that this would be a more pleasant forum were Craig to go back to cancelling orders of people causing trouble.

How can you not understand the reasons for this "unpleasantness"

Take a step back, 2 years ago we gave money to people for a product we were lead to believe would be in our hands within a month or so - 24> months later we're still waiting.

If I borrowed money from a bank 2 years ago on the provision I would give it back 2 months later, and then still hadn't paid up two years later, I think they'd be barking up my door too.

Magic Sam said:
And please, don't tell me how to use this forums...
I'm sorry, I didn't mean it that way.
What I meant to say was that OPT had to do (extra) quality control on the issues raised at that section of the forums.
That's all :)

I read a lot of "if", "should", "roughly" "probably" and "when" in the blog-post you're pointing to.

The problem here is not a lack of information, it is the lack of Pandoras.

People are opening these pointless threads because they are impatient. Most of us are. For a long time we were under the impression that when mass production would start, we all would have our Pandoras a month later. That doesn't seem to be the case and it's frustrating to see them trickle out while most of us have no clue when we'll get ours. Reason tells us that OPT will gladly update us if there is something newsworthy. But obviously the impatience has reached new levels now that some have their units and software is being released.

I just wonder what happened to that webcam that was supposed to be installed in the town hall. It would probably help a bit to appease the mob ;)

16-458x354.jpg

Back