Any Boot Animation Details?

whiskthecat said:
banjeed said:
something people would actually get freaked out by in the corner of their eye and notice that this thing is some whacked out shit they haven't seen before.
^--- lol ---^

Whats the reflection in the eyes? Looks like a table with some various crap on it.

It's a fairly standard HDRI image called "Kitchen Probe". There is a table in the scene, but it's essentially cleared and most of the reflection is caused by the walls.

polkunus said:
i was looking forward to a animation like banjeed's avatar. will there be sound, like a chime or something? but its not like you can't change it yourself anyway :p
Though I still haven't heard anything about sound, I still plan on making the box animation one I get a big chunk of time cleared. Why the hell couldn't this have all come out when I was still in college and had all the time in the world?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:
banjeed said:
what about something like this...

BlueEyes

I think this would be really cool, with a few modifications:
  • The skin should be white, not just skin-pale, as Craigix described.
  • The eyes/viewport should be smaller. The size creates the creepiness, in my opinion.
  • There should be some eyebrows with a faded, lightish color (like a light grey) so it looks more humane.
Otherwise, that's pretty good. :)

Edit: minor change to bullet list.

It might be neat if when the eyes open - you zoom into one eye until it fills the screen and becomes a pandora logo, with the cool rotating box next to it that banjeed has for his icon. (Props on the cool icon, by the way banjeed B) )

I also think it might be cool to slow down the opening of the eyes a little bit, and gradually speed up the zooming the closer you get into the eye.

It all looks pretty awesome so far for me.

banjeed said:
Ok, creepy is usually what I go for. I thought it'd be cool to have a system on the train that didn't boot into a logo with a happy chime. something people would actually get freaked out by in the corner of their eye and notice that this thing is some whacked out shit they haven't seen before. What are you're constructive thoughts on what this should be? Shoot your ideas my way and I'm more than happy to mock them up, no matter how far fetched they are. Thanks guys
you know, that is actually a good way to attract attention :D

chris_merris said:
It might be neat if when the eyes open - you zoom into one eye until it fills the screen and becomes a pandora logo, with the cool rotating box next to it that banjeed has for his icon. (Props on the cool icon, by the way banjeed B) )

I also think it might be cool to slow down the opening of the eyes a little bit, and gradually speed up the zooming the closer you get into the eye.

It all looks pretty awesome so far for me.
Hey, banjeed, can you provide a high res of your logo? :) I think his idea is pretty cool with yours.

For the eyes, try the "Cat Eyes" found in one of the original Pandora videos. I think that is what Craig is going for.

here's another idea, how about a reference (however subtle) to TI and/or the OMAP? something like a small TI logo showing up briefly at the beginning or end of the boot animation. it could work along with the "eyes" animation craigix spoke of. thoughts?

Copyright issues, possibly?

But more importantly, it kind of puts TI too close to center stage. Yes, they were a big reason the Pandora worked, but so are the guys behind the Pandora.

Yes Ti made the processor
But we are not here to worship them.
We are here to show the world something totally new.

Just wondering because it came to my mind
look here
(made in like 10 mins)
Well, just wondering, I know the text will show up as it is booting, but I mean more than just Tux showing in the top left corner with a blue screen here.

explanations or comments? :)

craigix said:
I'd like a HD video of over exposed (white skin and very) blue eyes opening then a fade to white.

That's just my idea though, it might not happen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WOMFrOCti4

Not sure about them being blue, but those eyes sure are overexposed... :p

[ just before half of the video's length ]

javaJake said:
Oh no. This was a great thread. Please don't degenerate it into something that's locked up in a dusty corner of the GP2X archives. :(

banjeed, any updates?
Yikes! had no idea there were so few of us interested in creating some fan boot animations and alas, I've been very caught up at work and at home. On a brighter note, I've got a very good head start on a better 3D model of the pandora logo that's much more dynamic than the last one I made. I had an idea in my head one very drunken night of what I wanted to make (and I remember it being a good idea at the time), but woke up at my desk with the thought vanished, but a very good model built. I vaguely remember it beginning as a solid blue cube, that bursts (the walls fly off with sci fi inspired smoke and media icons) to reveal the pandora logo, which then zooms back to reveal the actual pandora logo with the pandora text next to it as seen on the homepage. All in all, I was hoping to keep the entire aninamtion down to one second...maybe two at the most. I'd hate to wait for the boot animation EVERY time I boot this thing up. I plan on spending some more time on this tomorrow evening if I have the chance (fingers crossed I still have a bottle of whiskey). Please let me know if you have any suggestions, I'd be happy to implement them.

Any chance you can add your own boot up sequence? I mean, I'm sure whatever they choose will be great, but would be nice to have some variation, i.e. have the Gameboy or Master System boot up image as well as the sound for a bit.....if this isn't possible, can these boot ups be incorporated into the actual emulators upon launching them up? Would be a VERY nice touch....

Ok, so I've had a few minutes to spare tonight and thought I'd share the results. Here's another alpha render of what I'm currently working on

Latest Render

I plan on adding more glitz to it when I have time. Later

craigix said:
I'd like a HD video of over exposed (white skin and very) blue eyes opening then a fade to white.

That's just my idea though, it might not happen.
A bit like THIS?

Back