Official Promotion And/or Boot Animation/Jingle Thread.

sorry for a repeated post
but roughly, what length are we talking about 2,10,30,60 seconds

thanks
i just really want to start doing it, but i need a rough esitmate

btw so far i choose warm fluffys latest one
very simple, yet graphically pleasing

good job
im going in beteeen warmfluffys idea and mr gonzos
very iconic, yet explain what the pandora can do (the emulator etc)

emcp said:
sorry for a repeated post
but roughly, what length are we talking about 2,10,30,60 seconds
thanks
i just really want to start doing it, but i need a rough esitmate

btw so far i choose warm fluffys latest one
very simple, yet graphically pleasing

good job
im going in beteeen warmfluffys idea and mr gonzos
very iconic, yet explain what the pandora can do (the emulator etc)

We have absolutely no idea how long the boot animation should be, or even if there will be one. All these ideas are really done just for fun! Mind you if Craig and the crew actually did have a boot anim, it would be kewl to think they considered one of ours :)

Last edited by a moderator:
k
anyway time to get onto my ideas
one, i need a list of features of pandora, im thinking

game controller - game
music note - music
connectivity (bluetooth wlan etc) - what would be the best way (just radio rings)
Video - film strip
open source -- how about this http://www.masternewmedia.org/images/opensource_logo.gif
Emulator -- what console? how should it be represented

anyway im looking for 6-8 of them, please help me just get the basic iconic symbols for what the pandora means, what you think is some of the biggest features (should be bother with the keyboard)

anyway once this is done ill get the icons created an get to work on the cube (thats why 6-8, one for each faces while its rotating)

my idea is more complicated than a spinning cube, but thats the basic, the very basic

thanks

EDIT

controls should maybe also be added
and then just leave it at that, but its up to you

@DawnOfTheRent
I agree with you, random boot animations would be great, then there is no need to struggle to choose which one is the best. :p

WarmFluffyUK's logo4 is my favorite so far, I don't like sounds on boot up but I am sure thats no problem. :)

You guys seem to be having a lot of fun with this. I don't want to rain on your parade, but there's something you should know before you spend too much time on any more boot animations: There won't be one.

Booting is expected to be a fairly quick and infrequent affair, so there really isn't any need to support animations during bootup. Feel free to play around with these things as much as you want, but don't expect to actually see any of them during the Pandora boot sequence.

Squidge said: "The BIOS was changed to UBOOT a few months ago, which doesn't support *any* animation. Of course, it shouldn't take long to hack one in, but thats not exactly top priority right now.

I'm therefore guessing that the first edition Pandora's will probably display a static image, rather than an animation."

This does not mean its NOT gonna happen , and anyway for HALF (and maybe more ) of the community who wants a boot animation it wont be hard to make it happen.

And however it comes out, its still an open source project.

Mr.Gonzo said:
And however it comes out, its still an open source project.
Of course. That is exactly the point of the post I linked. Somebody will probably hack in animation support, but it's still going to be a hack. It is almost definitely never going to make it into an official firmware release.

During bootup, the system is busy doing bootup things. In order to have an animation while you wait, you will have to force the system to do non-bootup things, thus making you wait longer. Given the choice between a 15 sec boring boot and a 25 sec animated boot, which do you think people are going to prefer? The Pandora will hardly ever have to actually go through the boot process, so there is really no point in making it exciting.

still, boot animations gives personnality to simple pieces of hardware.
Look at Nintendo and all the others who hits the big market !
Its not only about coding and capacity! ( Huhum, no flaming please, ahah )

REMEMBER winners use boot animations !
not drugs.

Mr.Gonzo said:

not drugs.
the popularity of nintendo and all the others who 'hits the big market' isn't related to boot up sequences, and it gives very little personality to a device.
also, if you take note of the larger devices, look at their boot up sequences. they are iconic and simple.

also winners do drugs... the beatles? pink floyd? sammy sosa? salvidor dali?

I know they do but oldschool videogames say they dont !
Anyway , the rules are there to be broken ;)

and back on subject , Dont tell me that the nintendo "DADING" or the sega vocal thing never got stuck in your head or never gave your old systems some personality.
Even the PS1 did give a serious inconic aproach that still could get stuck in your head... how about the littloe gamecube tune ? UH ? UH ?

ok you get the point. Tonight im gonna do my 2 seconds iconic version of my retro thing.
But for now , lets scan some more temperature charts for the blood fridges!
Mannn i love my job.

Mr. Gonzo.
You go, buddy.
I love the animations, and will select one for my "hacked" boot sequence.

Hey, the Pandora "kid" in your avatar and animations, is that your creation?
I think I read this whole thread, and don't recall your mentioning it.
If this is original, I really think that 8 bit kid is a great avatar for the Pandora.
Let me know the story.
Thanks,
J.

Mr.Gonzo said:

not drugs.
What boot animations tell me mainly is this: "Hello! I'm a rather unstable device and consequently I need rebooting frequently. To draw your attention away from my innate instability, I've been given a cute animation to defuse your anger. Enjoy me, but not for too long, because I will fall flat on my digital face again".

So no, boot animations don't really do it for me.

@j.pickens: yeah yeah just made him " on the fly " i like him , hes like the average pixel dude.
I used to do pixel art for video games makers back in the day ( often much more complex stuff too. you know 16-32bits stuff , but 8-bit and huge pixels always had a special place in my heart )

@Karel Jansens: See its really a 50/50 kinda thing ! and i respect that. :p
but see if everybody was like you , i would be useless. ahaha.

Mr.Gonzo said:
@j.pickens: yeah yeah just made him " on the fly " i like him , hes like the average pixel dude.
I used to do pixel art for video games makers back in the day ( often much more complex stuff too. you know 16-32bits stuff , but 8-bit and huge pixels always had a special place in my heart )

Well, I'll say it again, the 8 Bit Kid is great.
I hope you and the Pandora team can work it out to make the 8 Bit Kid the official avatar.

j.pickens said:
Mr.Gonzo said:

I hope you and the Pandora team can work it out to make the 8 Bit Kid the official avatar.

I still think a Panda would be an ideal avatar if any is needed.

j.pickens said:
Well i alone couldnt do it. its really what YOU guys want thats gonna make a difference.

jakewastaken said:
I still think a Panda would be an ideal avatar if any is needed.
Panda could be a cool icon for PandaNES
or else a panda isnt really representing PANDORA i think... and it would look like a Cereal character.
...After tony the tiger, Pandy the pandora Panda.

j.pickens said:
Mr.Gonzo said:

the 'official avatar'?
oh great, now we have pandora girl, awesome pandora girl, angry panda, and '8 bit kid' all running for some made up 'avatar' or 'mascot' thing? why do you need one? its a gimmick, the pandora isn't about gimmicks. the people its being marketed to wont buy it for a gimmick.

PoisonedV said:
j.pickens said:
Mr.Gonzo said:

the 'official avatar'?
oh great, now we have pandora girl, awesome pandora girl, angry panda, and '8 bit kid' all running for some made up 'avatar' or 'mascot' thing? why do you need one? its a gimmick, the pandora isn't about gimmicks. the people its being marketed to wont buy it for a gimmick.

Anyway , nothing can really be official for the pandora , i havent heard of angry panda or pandora girl.
Actually i dont give a damn , i only wanna animate some cool stuff for the people who likes retro.
and maybe design a retro theme. SURE hes gonna be the maskot of the retro theme , but probably not the maskot for the pandora. even i still prefer the logo.

PoisonedV said:
If they want to sell a lot of units they should target more mainstream people. Which makes your point moot, because thats what they need is marketing gimmicks.

Back