And suddenly it works.

Pardon my ignorance, but would it be that expensive per unit to invest in some heat countermeasures?
I know some smartphones can get unbelievably hot, and although my old DS was okayish, a friend's PSP had to cool so we could play it after a while.
If 10 hours of constant playtime is the goal, I believe heat management is semi-essential. I don't think it'd be nice if people would get sweaty fingers\a generally annoying sensation while trying to play some of the more demanding emulators (PSX,PSP,N64, Holy shit Dreamcast, Also some things on the MAME) and other intensive things for a long streak of time. I don't know the slightest bit about heat, alloys and padding so it's your call, but I thought I'd drop my opinion as a consumer.

~Thanks.

Pardon my ignorance, but would it be that expensive per unit to invest in some heat countermeasures?
There are heat countermeasures. They plan to use the SD slots as heat sinks.
If it turns out that isn't enough, there are other alternatives that ED has talked about. It's not a matter of cost, it's a matter of time though, they want to make as few changes as required, so if it gets "warm" but not "hot" with just the board and slots as a heat sink then it's fine.

Would it be possible to use the Pyra without battery while hooked up to the wall charger?

Or maybe it's possible to add a switch to let the pyra switches to the wall charger when the battery is fully charged?

There are heat countermeasures. They plan to use the SD slots as heat sinks.
If it turns out that isn't enough, there are other alternatives that ED has talked about. It's not a matter of cost, it's a matter of time though, they want to make as few changes as required, so if it gets "warm" but not "hot" with just the board and slots as a heat sink then it's fine.

If it's just a little shallow warmness? yeah, that's completely fine.

And regarding time, I know this can be kinda controversial, but I'm one for polish. I'd rather wait 4 years instead of 1 for an awesome game\OS instead of a mediocre one, for example.. (See articles Windows Vista, Windows 8) So I think if it takes a few more months to make a better, more perfect thing, it's worth it. Especially if it's something as expensive as a console. Rushed development killed pretty much every good thing I know, so I actually like how ED takes his time fixing errors and improving things. Don't want 3 models coming out and having to miss out on the later two if you got the first one.

But yeah, as long as people won't have 3rd degree burns, it's alright. I still have nightmares about that $&% PSP and bottles of Aloe Vera.

And regarding time, I know this can be kinda controversial, but I'm one for polish.
That's not controversial, that's what ED is going for as well.
The problem is that it is impossible to make a perfect device. Flat out impossible. No matter how much polish you put on something there will always be something else that could be a little bit better, little tweaks here and there. At some point you absolutely need to draw a line at "good enough" in order to actually be successful business, especially for a niche product like this with limited appeal.
Trust us, absolutely nothing about the Pyra has been rushed, EvilDragon is taking all the time he thinks he can get away with.

That's not controversial, that's what ED is going for as well.
The problem is that it is impossible to make a perfect device. Flat out impossible. No matter how much polish you put on something there will always be something else that could be a little bit better, little tweaks here and there. At some point you absolutely need to draw a line at "good enough" in order to actually be successful business, especially for a niche product like this with limited appeal.
Trust us, absolutely nothing about the Pyra has been rushed, EvilDragon is taking all the time he thinks he can get away with.

That I know, and appreciate :happy:
I also understand the business concerns. Sometimes we as consumers you get so disappointed after something gets hyped and rushed that you forget that devs are not only artists, they're people with a job and time constraints.

(Also, "It just dawned on me the PSP might have had abnormal heat distribution problems". But Aloe Vera was Real, man. We had to go to the hospital and they're like "How in the hell did you manage to burn yourself with a PSP?" "We don't know, it just turned from very hot to Sony Portable Oven Mode™ in a 3-second-time-span." I'm suprised it just crashed instead of bricked. Luckily my hands healed and we took turns stepping on the thing because no warranty.)

Last edited:
And regarding time, I know this can be kinda controversial, but I'm one for polish. I'd rather wait 4 years instead of 1 for an awesome game\OS instead of a mediocre one, for example.. (See articles Windows Vista, Windows 8)
Must resist stating honest opinion...sometimes polish can make things pretty. I would rather have things when they are ready. I think we sorta agree, though.

The time to make videos of a real prototype can soon be made!
Can't wait to see those :)

Good to hear about the improvements over Pandora when it comes to charging the device. :)

Does this mean that we're close to being able to discuss the cost / battery implications of the Ram & eMMC as per this thread?

Is there any way to collect for another cam ? Nikolaus pictures are always damn blurry

I don't get it, can you explain me the SNES Jr. reference? :p.
It's from the Retro VGS console... it's supposed to be some FPGA console, but they've been caught twice faking prototypes, these fakes are there to try and convince crowd funders the project is still on track, but it's failing miserable... The first time they shoved a SNES Jr into a modified jaguar case. The second time they put a PCI capture card inside a transparent case.

Is there any way to collect for another cam ? Nikolaus pictures are always damn blurry

Does no one read the description in the Youtube video? :D

"Sorry for the bad quality (the PCB designer only has a smartphone as camera), I'll do proper videos when I receive the set."

It's from the Retro VGS console...
Notice the sticky outy tongue face.

Part of the joke in my comment was also that the incompetent team behind that "product" can get all those things in what they are making for a lower price than the Pyra. If they can do it, ED can, and pocketability isn't a good enough excuse to skip those features. So, yeah...

Thanks for the video, ED.

Back