[Analysis] Retrospecter Pandora

They all know that the day is to come as a thief, nobody knows when...
[/quote]

Ok, it is time to change Pandora´s name.. Craig: call the console A-THIEF .. because it will come, but nobody knows wen.

Now , my reply to some sh***t that´s moving out there on tha "GALLEGO FORUM" :

Gift for my homie X-code: cool Pandora fan :D ,download it my ninja you´ll love it. Please make me a favor. Explain some maggots there meaning of "irony" , "humor" and "SUTILEZA" HOMBRE! Will try to improve my English, let my son know that man. He need to understand dad used to live in Texas , not best way to get a phat english for sure. He´ll understand some day if he can leave town and travel just a little ;)

Bout Bible i know most homies ther find it borin : nothing to do with religion for sure. That punks ass will find boring any book more than 3 pages without drawings,i´m not surprised. Only printed reading they do is the PHONE DIRECTORY. But i know why they are pissing here.

"Hated" yanks will launch (among a lot of other stuff) the first eastern Open Source console wen Spain was not able to launch nothing more complex than a UFESA toaster... ok: these GALLEGOS (Spaniards) are feeling like Russians during Apollo 11 mission i guess. Dear yanks : please understand they still are in 1492 and strongly believe they are a WORLD POWER. Well this is useful for ya´ll sometimes (as wen a brown noise is needed to support unpopular wars as Iraq )

Everybody take it easy, relax and all that. If Pandora appears everybody (GALLEGO/spaniards included) will love it, i will love it. I don´t have any idea if Craig will find a way to keep it poppin` n´wen this twiggy console will kick asses . But bet my butt bout somethin: will be BEFORE Spaniard console even on drafts, isn´t it? ;P

Peace

Scaramouche (a.k.a. "The Pandora´s Taliban" o yeah this is my new name on gp32spain.com ;) In fact i am more concerned about new stock on this:

"Portable Master System
TV link, manual, 20 games "

than about the PANDORA. Any new about this TEC TOY jewel Craig?? )

Last edited by a moderator:
quadomatic said:
Must've ported gpSP to Invision Power Board and made yourself into a GBA rom eh?

That explains a lot ;)

I like this scaramouche guy, he's mildly offensive/hypocritical, barely legible, and relatively hilarious. Keep up the good work.

Exophase said:
Open Pandora said they wouldn't take preorders until they were ready to ship - this is the one big thing I think you can pin dishonesty on them for. So they shouldn't have taken preorders in September 2008, in fact even now they're still not ready to take preorders. But OP had no choice but to take preorders, because they were depending on the preorder money to actually manufacture the thing. Regardless of how you look at it, this is how it was going to come to fruition, and it's possible that it wouldn't have worked out the same any other way. It's also possible that without basically misleading people they wouldn't have been able to get the money.
OpenPandora also wasn't quite honest about informing everybody about the above fact (if I recall correctly, we didn't find out until the bank crisis).

Then there was also advertising the Pandora has having 1 Gb of memory. It technically wasn't lying, but it's the type of sales tactics nobody expected out of a small, "hobbyist/community driven" mentality group like OpenPandora Inc...

Exophase said:
Open Pandora said they wouldn't take preorders until they were ready to ship - this is the one big thing I think you can pin dishonesty on them for.
Now, everything else said - all those things listed in this thread - were not lies. It's not a lie if you believe it to be true, and OP really did believe those things they said.

Actually you yourself disclosed the first dishonest OP act when you posted that Craig knew exactly what Pandora would be and the whole community involvement of the making of Pandora was a complete farce.

I don't like Craig. I have my doubts whether Pandora will be a success or even ever be released but I will say this, Craig is a GENIUS. A marketing manipulating master. Hell, he could give lessons to Apple on selling. Call him a liar, dishonest, misleading, whatever nowhere else have I seen any businessman insult, bully, and threaten customers and still stay in business. Almost 2 years in development and numerous delays, this community still holds onto their orders like gold. Some members have stated that they are more then willing to lose their money should Pandora fail. Craig has the best GP2X developers working for FREE! He even picked a fight with one of them and the Pandora project just keeps moving along. In any other company all the volunteers would have rallied and stormed out. When he couldn't move the community to his board he took over this one. All the moderators either are involved with Pandora or stand behind it. Bad Pandora press is quickly squashed on these forums. Craig is KING here. Come assembly time Craig just needs snap his fingers and they'll be a waiting list to help. When he made a request for donation to feed the assembly team members are standing by. Say what you will about him but I gotta give the man credit where its due. He is a GENIUS!

^ I agree. People stick to the _idea_ of Pandora, not the persons involved, imo. Also one has to be honest, the personal disputes and quirks are entertaining and add some additional spice. I had my disagreements with Craig too, but it was more entertaining than annoying, tbh. Internet drama is always a good show ;)

Azure said:
OpenPandora also wasn't quite honest about informing everybody about the above fact (if I recall correctly, we didn't find out until the bank crisis).

He didn't quite not say it either, though. It was implied, and there was even a particular statement where it seemed like he was saying this, but craig claims that he had no intention of ever implying this and he thought everyone knew. He was surprised when I told him that people were under the impression that they didn't the preorder money to proceed and that's when he posted to clear it up.

Azure said:
Then there was also advertising the Pandora has having 1 Gb of memory. It technically wasn't lying, but it's the type of sales tactics nobody expected out of a small, "hobbyist/community driven" mentality group like OpenPandora Inc...

In their defense, that is how the RAM module is listed (and is pretty typical). I take this one as more just strange than deliberately misleading.

DisgruntleElf said:
Actually you yourself disclosed the first dishonest OP act when you posted that Craig knew exactly what Pandora would be and the whole community involvement of the making of Pandora was a complete farce.

The truth on that is somewhere inbetween. I feel like it has been several other people who have been promoting this concept more than craig himself. A lot of people were under the illusion of greater input because they were talking about it a lot on the forum and assumed that this is where all of the actual design details were coming from. Open Pandora only said they were listening to and considering what was being said on the forums (and they were), not that they were actually choosing the design by majority opinion. This also all should have been obvious when the first actual concepts were released.

Still, Pandora does have a little bit more community input than most other products.

DisgruntleElf said:
When he couldn't move the community to his board he took over this one.
I don't recall Craig saying anything about that, or transforming into EvilDragon and volunteering a server. I must have missed something.

Prometheus said:
DisgruntleElf said:
I don't recall Craig saying anything about that, or transforming into EvilDragon and volunteering a server. I must have missed something.

The boards at openhandhelds.org only exist because GP32x was having a lot of downtime. Once GP32x came back up, everyone came back here. They were never intended to be a replacement or a long term thing.

It isn't SO bad that craig and ED had planned out Pandora's general setup already. They were the ones that would have to deal with the implementation anyway, so it makes sense for them to have a lot of control over the final design. However, they certainly had been listening to the community's complaints and desires (generally thrown in the direction of GPH, never to be seen or heard from again). Just following the information gleamed from rants against GPH were probably enough to be certain what people would want out of an open-source handheld tailored to this community.

quadomatic said:
Prometheus said:
DisgruntleElf said:

The boards at openhandhelds.org only exist because GP32x was having a lot of downtime. Once GP32x came back up, everyone came back here. They were never intended to be a replacement or a long term thing.

Never is a long time. Reading information as filtered trhough memory as well as our own interpretations is interesting at times. There was a time when the openhandhelds.org was considered as the new home for forum users - ask Chip. However, I don't recall Craig taking over and even ED has basiclaly offered hosting to Hando, not actually taken over AFAIK.

DisgruntleElf said:
Exophase said:
Open Pandora said they wouldn't take preorders until they were ready to ship - this is the one big thing I think you can pin dishonesty on them for.
Now, everything else said - all those things listed in this thread - were not lies. It's not a lie if you believe it to be true, and OP really did believe those things they said.

I don't like Craig. I have my doubts whether Pandora will be a success or even ever be released but I will say this, Craig is a GENIUS. A marketing manipulating master. Hell, he could give lessons to Apple on selling. Call him a liar, dishonest, misleading, whatever nowhere else have I seen any businessman insult, bully, and threaten customers and still stay in business. Almost 2 years in development and numerous delays, this community still holds onto their orders like gold. Some members have stated that they are more then willing to lose their money should Pandora fail. Craig has the best GP2X developers working for FREE! He even picked a fight with one of them and the Pandora project just keeps moving along. In any other company all the volunteers would have rallied and stormed out. When he couldn't move the community to his board he took over this one. All the moderators either are involved with Pandora or stand behind it. Bad Pandora press is quickly squashed on these forums. Craig is KING here. Come assembly time Craig just needs snap his fingers and they'll be a waiting list to help. When he made a request for donation to feed the assembly team members are standing by. Say what you will about him but I gotta give the man credit where its due. He is a GENIUS!

as one of those who publicly declared that they will never cancel i can tell you that this is not due to craig. in fact, if it was for him alone, i'd have broken my word and cancelled when vimacs was expelled. thank god there are people with more sense behind that unique project, not just him.

Alpha2 said:
ATXGuy said:
Im a long time lurker (years now...) and I have to say, Craig's response to this doesnt surprise me one bit. Ive come to expect some of the most immature and unprofessional responses/behavior from him, and in regards to this thread, instead of replying with something sane, he turns into some babbling internet retard. Sorry OP Team, but he makes you all look bad.

Oh gads, those GP32Spain guys. I'm disappointed the photos are not of me, or of Ed.

But it is so funny how they have always wished the Pandora would fail LOL ROFL ZMG then we would have to just all develop for the Wiz!!!!!!11 Who needs a stupid attempt to advance to scene, ROFL LOL. Pandora sux!1

etc.

Well, time to get back to real work.

Seriously? Dont mean to point fingers... but if this is the guy at the head of this project, umm... its no surprise it is where its at today.

Its not like these guys are lying or misconstruing facts.

Excuse me Mr. "first post", But how exactly do you expect him to react to people trying to bring him down? "Oh geez, They're totally right! here let me pull a few thousand Pandoras magically from my rectum!"
No that won't be possible most of his remarks and every date he gave are coming from there.

Keen said:
A great project concept in the wrong hands.

More like a great project concept that wouldn't exist if not for the OP team. This is something all you moaning lemons seem to forget.

If it wasn't for OP you wouldn't have a Pandora to be waiting for and fretting about!

What's with all the Craig bashing? I don't know the guy and I only read the odd post on here but from what I gather he's a good egg who's under a lot of pressure and just happened to flip out once or twice on a forum.
Fuck me, we've all done that at some point.

If theres anything I've learned from my software development class, its that any project will always be "80% done" no matter when you ask the developers how they're doing.

"Going to be done by this Friday?" "Yep! We're already 80% done!"

... 1 year later ...

"We've made so much progress lately, we're truly 80% done now!"

... and so on...

clippa said:
What's with all the Craig bashing? I don't know the guy and I only read the odd post on here but from what I gather he's a good egg who's under a lot of pressure and just happened to flip out once or twice on a forum.
Fuck me, we've all done that at some point.

Its been more than once or twice... A LOT MORE. Im not going to sit here and look for quotes/posts to show you as examples, but if you really want to know why hordes arent actually defending craig in this thread, you can do a search.

If I had to summarize it simply, when your company is 2 years late with a product that people already paid for, and all you can seem to do is act like a douche, insult people, and act immature, yeaaahhh... expect to get some flack. In this case, well deserved, IMO.

Alerino said:
naaah... if there's a person that keep us sticking with the project, is Michael "Evildragon" Mrozek...
But honestly, i think Pandora is much more powerful than any personal effort or marketing skill. If it wasn't so unique, so niche-marketed, people would be gone a long time ago. And the folks around here would do anything to speed up release and shipping, even porting, coding and feeding. Because that will benefit the whole community...

Ahh but Craig is a master salesman for those exact reasons. It was Craig that wisely choose the OP team. And no better choice then ED who has a great reputation with the community and sales skills to boot. Then the introduction of the likable MWeston to the forums who shortly got one of the most respected titles, "GURU", on the boards. Welcome to the neighborhood. Later the official spokesperson Chip. More like the lonely guy in the complaints department. He was the fall guy for the OP team. All he did was relay what he was told and religiously stood up for Pandora. He paid a price for that when Pandora met delay after delay. Talk about taking one for the team.
It was Craig that introduced Pandora as the concept 'community project'. It was/still is a great idea to lure developers and sell product. As I posted before Craig already knew what Pandora was going to be and the community input was nothing more than hype. I wouldn't be surprised if some members are holding onto their Pandora orders just because they would feel guilty for letting the community down. Craig is a master marketer. Look at all the supporters and hype he is gathering up with iControlpad vs Apple. Apple would be foolish not to hire Craig after they sue his butt to the ground.

Exophase said:
quadomatic said:
Must've ported gpSP to Invision Power Board and made yourself into a GBA rom eh?

That explains a lot ;)

I like this scaramouche guy, he's mildly offensive/hypocritical, barely legible, and relatively hilarious. Keep up the good work.

Thank you buddy, everybody LOVE me. Take a look on gp32spain.com .., they have a full thread expressing how much they love me. You love me, i am thinking about propose myself to the LOVE NOBEL PRIZE (i don t know if it exists) .

Bad thing some hard competitors in terms of love.. i am concerned about Benjamin Netanyahu, ex-president George Bush, Hugo Chavez , and probably Aiman Al-Zawahiri.... i am pretty sure all that people is more loved and less polemic than me but i still have hope.

I feel like Iraq in 2003: pissed and bombed by USA (gp32x) and Spain (gp32spain) together.. any British guy who want to join the cause and piss me a little to complete the coalition? :)

And the most ridicule is that i never talk pro or con the Pandora. I just made a joke. Ok: i see why is so difficult to be a comedian in America and a journalist in Spain. God bless you ALL, i don say HAPPY EASTER because i don t practice EASTER, but anyway i wish you all are having a great day.

PANDORA is the first console that can give an user all this emotions (hate, fury, wrath, happiness , sad, hope, adrenalin, love) even before touch it or got it!!! I am about to send my money just to don t see all this from outside, you know i am sayin? Even without the console it worths any dollar for sure..,. :)

Back