All Gen Gamers Joking about the Pandora

ED: Absolutely worth the free press. That said, they didn't really say very much about the pandora. The guy obviously brought his pandora from Craig in 2010 and hasn't really been keeping his eye on the news.

He reads the email Craig sent. laughs a little at the "super pandora 2.0" name and one of them say 'You've paid $350 already, if you don't upgrade for another $350... it just seems like you'll never get your pandora'. and that's about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I don't approve of queue jumping due to any reason other than the guy who was seriously ill and had terminal cancer.

I'm from Australia, we disapprove of queue jumpers in general. Everyone deserves a fair go :)

Last edited by a moderator:
As a person that upgraded two first batch orders, I agree with quartercast about queue jumping.. Those dirty bastards.

Well, In surely don't support queue jumping myself, but if only 10 of those 40000 buy a Pandora, we've financed another 10 preorders from the classic queue as well, which is a good thing.

What we need is publicity. I've got units available from stock again, so increasing sales is the main goal to get the remaining preorders out as fast as possible.

This is a essentially better than sending out a review unit.

Review unit - Pandora gets sent out at cost, which could have been sent to someone from Preorder queue. Potential new customers + 1 preorder queue spot to replace.

This case - Pandora gets sent out at cost, to someone in the preorder queue - one less preorderer in queue and potential new customers.

This case - Pandora gets sent out at cost, to someone in the preorder queue - one less preorderer in queue and potential new customers.
Not exactly has he got a 1GHz Upgrade for free, so basically its measuring with two scales

Not exactly has he got a 1GHz Upgrade for free, so basically its measuring with two scales

I don't know... Ed just said he sent him a 1GHz unit.. so I can only assume ED upgraded him for free

but the dude might have paid up for the upgrade after laughing it off in the episode.

Review unit - Pandora gets sent out at cost, which could have been sent to someone from Preorder queue. Potential new customers + 1 preorder queue spot to replace.
Review units are supposed to be returned so they can be sent to another reporter for review. It's not like that unit is lost, it's reused until it is not viable anymore. At least that's the way I was told it worked many years ago.

That's the way it works still, especially for rarer devices like the Pandora.

I haven't listened to the Podcast yet... but there should be a reason they have 40,000 followers... are are their followers not worth it? :)
What does followers actually mean ? Following someone/something is just a matter of a click, so I guess no one is asking himself should I do it or not ? So what does this really say, other than over the whole course of their making they got 40000 people you liked that somewhat and probably a lot more that didn't like it.

But even then I'd like to quote my old math teacher "millions of flies think excrements taste really good"....

It's just the bitter taste, that the usual "the loudest baby gets the most attention" process also happens here leaves behind :(
Yes but if he spreads negativity about the Pandora to 40000 ppl then they spread it ... Then it ruins the number of potential buyers and then it's just another gift that keeps on giving . I mean I don't like it anymore than you do but if that's what it takes to survive than that's what it takes , just how the world works :(

What is that, fear based queue jumping?

Come on quartercast, this is a sound move from a bussiness perspective.

I'm an idealist myself - and would make a lousy bussiness person as being fair to everyone is very importante to me.

But it just doesn't work that way in this world. The potential bad press generated by ignoring this fellow and his 'followers' could result in some really unfortunate eventualities for *everyone* that loves the Open Pandora.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Well I respect both of your opinions but I disagree, based on the reasons given above. And I don't believe it is sound business practice to give a customer preferential treatment due to a potential threat of bad press. I believe all customers deserve good customer service, and press should receive review units on a temporary basis.

That being said, I respect ED 100% and am really impressed by how he has taken charge of OpenPandora's business and production side of things. Keep it up ED :)

Review units are supposed to be returned so they can be sent to another reporter for review. It's not like that unit is lost, it's reused until it is not viable anymore. At least that's the way I was told it worked many years ago.
Fair enough... in any case this is still better than sending out a review unit since it's one less person that has to wait in the preorder queue...
Sending out a review would mean a Pandora being sent out that wouldn't be sold...

And I don't believe it is sound business practice to give a customer preferential treatment due to a potential threat of bad press.
We already got the bad press, the Pandora project is a running joke for these guys, now we are aiming for some good press.

I don't know... Ed just said he sent him a 1GHz unit.. so I can only assume ED upgraded him for free
possible, but after listening to the podcast do you honestly believe that ?

Yes but if he spreads negativity about the Pandora to 40000 ppl then they spread it ... Then it ruins the number of potential buyers and then it's just another gift that keeps on giving . I mean I don't like it anymore than you do but if that's what it takes to survive than that's what it takes , just how the world works :(
Is there a proof that it works that way (i.e. scientific investigations, not "the internet says so") ?

We already got the bad press, the Pandora project is a running joke for these guys, now we are aiming for some good press.
But why not sending him an E-Mail:

"Hey you there unfortunatly we can not send you your Pandora right now (and we are really sorry about that), as there are other people who ordered before you that are still waiting for it. It would be quite unfair to give you one while others are still waiting for it, or not ? But we would be glad to send you a review unit, you can play around with as long as it takes to make a review"

instead of

"Hey there big buana with 40000 youtube or whatever followeres (and approx 900 million non followers) there are other people waiting in line, but as you had nothing better todo but laugh at the hard work we're doing here and basically denying everything we achivied here because we are no cheap chinese rippof company or a multi million dollar company (that lives of money they don't have) we'd love to take the route through your behind and let you jump the queue for good" ?

Back