Where Did The Gamers Go

C

codeninja

Kotaku.com is one of my daily visited websites, and I could very relate to the article I've read today. The artifitial concept of gamer vs real gamer will decide the next generation console war. I've been gamer for over a couple decades and find myself becoming more and more casual gamer dropping out of the hardcore edge image of gamers. 100 hour gameplay is not a selling point to me, rather a sign to get intimidated and avoid. I don't have time/will to spent 100 hours of my life on a game. Paying $60 for 10 hour or so entertainment doesn't appeal to me too much, espetially considering the fact that all the glorifying next gen graphics are nothing better than PC graphics that I've been seeing for a while, already. Due to what I do for living, I get to play lots of games without having to buy them. To me, 80% of games that I play nowadays are garbages and wouldn't pay the price they charge for them that include many big name titles from big name publishers. What I like is that something that I can enjoy for an hour and forget about it. That's what I like about portable gaming, and that's what I like about my gameboy micro and gp2x. Are you a hardcore gamer that MS and Sony desperately want to appeal to? I guess, I'm not...

Anyway, it's very interesting reading, highly recommended:

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/where-did...s-go-145270.php

codeninja posted on Dec 27 2005 at 08:36 PM said:
Kotaku.com is one of my daily visited websites, and I could very relate to the article I've read today. The artifitial concept of gamer vs real gamer will decide the next generation console war. I've been gamer for over a couple decades and find myself becoming more and more casual gamer dropping out of the hardcore edge image of gamers. 100 hour gameplay is not a selling point to me, rather a sign to get intimidated and avoid. I don't have time/will to spent 100 hours of my life on a game. Paying $60 for 10 hour or so entertainment doesn't appeal to me too much, espetially considering the fact that all the glorifying next gen graphics are nothing better than PC graphics that I've been seeing for a while, already. Due to what I do for living, I get to play lots of games without having to buy them. To me, 80% of games that I play nowadays are garbages and wouldn't pay the price they charge for them that include many big name titles from big name publishers. What I like is that something that I can enjoy for an hour and forget about it. That's what I like about portable gaming, and that's what I like about my gameboy micro and gp2x. Are you a hardcore gamer that MS and Sony desperately want to appeal to? I guess, I'm not...

Anyway, it's very interesting reading, highly recommended:

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/where-did...s-go-145270.php

They flew away.

No, seriously who knows? Maybe they are still around. Interesting article though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can go both ways. I really enjoy playing RPGs for a few hours at a time, and pick up later on. On the other hand, i dont always have the time. Ive really been playing the hell out of my gp2x, since its easy to pick it up and play while on the couch, at work (shhh), laying in bed, etc. Always time to get a few minutes of gaming in.

The gamers didn't go anywhere. They're just grown up now. Priorities change.

I used to game a lot when I was younger but now finding the time to play is hard. I usually only touch my PS2 or Gamecube once or twice a week and when I do it's only for a couple hours. I'll make time to play some of my favorite games series like Zelda, Metroid, Castlevania. Other than that, I'll stick with my GP2X for all my gaming needs.

Kayday posted on Dec 28 2005 at 12:14 AM said:
The gamers didn't go anywhere. They're just grown up now. Priorities change.

I used to game a lot when I was younger but now finding the time to play is hard. I usually only touch my PS2 or Gamecube once or twice a week and when I do it's only for a couple hours. I'll make time to play some of my favorite games series like Zelda, Metroid, Castlevania. Other than that, I'll stick with my GP2X for all my gaming needs.

You summed up what I was trying to say exactly. I, obviously, have more disposable income because I'm no poor college kid any more, and if they hit the exact spot that I want (cheap and short but highly entertaining highly replayable games that are in the style of old arcade games), I can spend a lot more money on games than I ever dreamed of as a highschool kid. By hammering on the same exact small market over and over, they're totally missing out on the market that I'm part of. I think, it's a big mistake on their side to ignore us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back