N64 Emulator In The Work For Pandora

renejr902

Website
Visit site
A N64 emulator is in work for pandora

( its my error,i misunderstand some informations, finally the n64 wiz version doesnt seem very possible. exophase said that n64 could maybe be as fast on the wiz than psp n64 emulator, and when i read that i thought the pickle test was done on the wiz. but it was done on the pandora. really sorry. maybe pickle will give it a try someday for a n64 wiz emulator but not for now, and dont hope for anything playable anyway. if i understand correclty this time.)

Ari64 work for Pandora. Pickle help him

exophase tell him some advices. and others help too.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/49358-mupen64plus/

N64 on pandora could be very fast, maybe fullspeed, if i understand well exophase words

But we have to see in the future

Last edited by a moderator:
and the link is broken
and there is no-one on this forum that isn't already aware of this
and I don't remember reading that the Wiz will have anywhere near the power to run it...

i edited the link. its now ok. ( i just learned it today. so a topic is necessary. i dont take my time on beta testing section)

Read the 16 pages.

Exophase said it would be possible finally. in technical term i cant explain why. he talked about using another things instead of vfpu.. i dont understand it very well.

But the pandora version will probably run very fast read all the pages near the end exophase tell 15-20fps 640 x 480 or 60fps 320 x 240, nothing sure anyway

Keke.

Just to clarify, all involved parties are working on the Pandora version. Pickle did mention leaving it open to a Wiz port, but that was early on and I don't believe it's the focus right now.

renejr902 said:
i just thought that Pickle was only working on the wiz version. ?? Did i understand it correclty ? he said that he tried it with dummy video. isn't right ?
This is where he mentioned it early on:

Pickle said:
I suppose the ideal thing would be to convert this to ES, 1.1 if we want to consider the wiz.
After that came a few posts about OpenGL and which systems should be supported. Then:

Pickle said:
For now that need as been averted, so lets worry about it when it comes up again. But my point was to consider using 1.1 ES since it has the most coverage, move devices are going to support it. If it technically cant be used then it shouldnt. But the decision on what to use should be rational. But i think this topic should be dropped until the time comes to discuss it.
In other words, not right now, he'll look at the possibilites later.

Ari64 isn't doing the Pandora version by himself. He wrote the dynarec, then posted it on the forums so some OpenGL experts could assist. And that's what they're doing. :)

As I mentioned in the other thread, this won't work on the Wiz due to the use of some ARM instructions that are not supported by the older ARM processor used by the Wiz. Of course, these instructions can be replaced by some others, but that will slow down generated code.

Yeah I'm probably gonna get flamed for this but..
Why all the hype over a N64 emulator? N64 was a crappy system back when it was released and it's still a crappy system today. That's my opinion. I'm much more excited over a Playstation emulator.

Despellanion said:
Why all the hype over a N64 emulator? N64 was a crappy system back when it was released and it's still a crappy system today. That's my opinion. I'm much more excited over a Playstation emulator.

Is your question why would someone want to emulate a system that you personally believe is not a very good system? If so then the answer is because they probably have a different opinion to you. Seems pretty straight forward to me?

Steve

Rockthesmurf said:
Is your question why would someone want to emulate a system that you personally believe is not a very good system? If so then the answer is because they probably have a different opinion to you. Seems pretty straight forward to me?

Steve
Yeah, I guess so. I'm just surprised that the requests for a N64 emulator is that high.

The N64 does only have a few good games, but the ones that are good are really good and, being Nintendo, unavailable on other systems.

Plus this is a good show of the Pandora power and open source development, taking us in to a new territory with portable devices.

Despellanion said:
Yeah, I guess so. I'm just surprised that the requests for a N64 emulator is that high.

You are joking right? The N64 sold nearly 33 million units in it's life time, and had some of the best games ever written (GoldenEye, Banjo and Kazooie, Super Mario 64, Zelda: OOT, ExciteBike 64 etc etc)

Despellanion said:

A lot of people have fond memories of gaming on that system and I'm not going to put them down for it. Most common ones I hear are GoldenEye, Super Smash Bros., Mario64, Mario Kart, Ocarina of Time, and so on. Perhaps it was a crappy system, but it had its gems much like many other systems did. It's hardly excitement about the hardware, and more about the software. I never owned an N64, but I do know that Treasure made a few titles for it (Sin and Punishment was especially amazing). Beyond that I've not much interest.

I liken it to peoples' interest in other less popular systems, like the Saturn or Sega CD. Fewer people owned them, but those that did loved them. Any system is nothing without software, so I'm glad to see Pandora's getting full support from its community.

I owned a Nintendo 64. while I only purchased a few games, those I had provided many hours of enjoyment. I ended up renting games near the end of having the system then sold it. I actually played and enjoyed more games on the Turbografx and SNES than the N64, however if this emulator comes to fruition with good game support, then it will get a LOT of use from me. As for Playstation emulation, I am excited about this as well despite never owning one, as I'll get to try games I never had the chance to play. From what I can see in the gaming world, even systems rated bad (Jaguar, Virtualboy etc.) can have some great games at times and anytime these get emulated it is a good thing as it may expose you to a great game that can only be played on that specific system and you would have missed out on otherwise.

Take for instance Silent Debuggers on Turbografx, a complex game of corridors and aliens where the aliens escape the outer ring and the station cuts off sections they have infiltrated unless you eliminate them, if you fail to in time, they may cut off the ability to recharge your weapons, or have light in the station etc. Definitely a game that could have been remade with better graphics and features on another system, yet it only exists on the Turbografx. I had the system so I was able to enjoy it. There are those who thought that system was crap. So if they based whether to make an emulator on those grounds, some people may never see that game. So I support emulating anything. From calculators to Dreamcast. There is no system that doesn't have SOMETHING to offer to someone.

Despellanion said:
Rockthesmurf said:

Steve

Do you live in a small town?

Back