c't writes article about Pandora

Send your (polite, informative) letters to ct (at ) ct.heise.de.

The correct address is ct (at) ct.de or if you want to email the authors directly: hag (at) ct.de and mid (at) ct.de.

For example, it is known to the author(s) that the android porter is notaz and that he doesn't wants to be it's maintainer.
Of all things I've done, this is one of the most mentioned (not wanting to maintain it), and now it's even in one of more popular magazines. As the time goes, I regret ever releasing it more and more.

Maybe they should have mentioned my port, which I don't want to maintain either :p

For example, it is known to the author(s) that the android porter is notaz and that he doesn't wants to be it's maintainer.
Of all things I've done, this is one of the most mentioned (not wanting to maintain it), and now it's even in one of more popular magazines. As the time goes, I regret ever releasing it more and more.

Exact quotation: "Mit neuen Versionen der CyanogenMod-Portierung für Pandora ist auf absehbare Zeit nicht zu rechnen, es handelt sich lediglich um ein Experiment des Pandora-Entwicklers Notaz, das er nicht weiter betreuen möchte"

Translation: New versions of the CyanogenMod port are not to be expected in the foreseeable future. The port was a mere experiment of the Pandora developer Notaz that he didn‘t want to maintain further.

That makes it clear to me: Notaz has just made a proof of concept regarding android on Pandora and isn't interesting developing this but other Pandora related projects.

While suppressing the facts that

1. nobody before has achieved that

2. the port works very, very well

3. it's not only a port, but an operating system on top of an operating system delivered in a PND file

4. nobody feels either competent enough or has enough time to maintain it.

I really don't think, notaz, you should regret having done that.

Edit: I have to give credit for the headline! "Ich war eine Dose" translates into "I was a can" - awesome! xD

That makes me wonder. While that phrase is well known in Germany as an ad for tin recycling, the term "Dose" is also widely used as synonym for "DOS/Windows PC". That doesn't make sense either way.

I finally got a copy of the article - it's not as catastrophic as I thought it would be when I read the threads here. It just seems very incomplete and rushed, like some here also confirmed.

The author didn't see the key strenghts of the Pandora, which is not unusual if you didn't have much time to test it.

It's sad to see that written in c't (which was once a magazine for professional IT), but I guess they're more consumer oriented these days.

That article wouldn't be a catastrophe if the conclusion was one we expected of c't. Something like "Pandora is not for everyone but for guys loving retro games with real game controls..." But it is: Buying a Pandora doesn't make sense!

And besides, a positive article in c't would have been the ultimate possibility to gain interest in the target audience. I may make the assumption that 99% of Pandora owners in Germany read c't.

German-speaking Pandora users, unite! Send reader letters to c't!

Meanwhile, I'll check the Dutch version of c't and see if they translate the article (if they do, it'll probably be in next month's edition).

If you provide a sample to a magazine usually the proper practice from the magazine side is to let you read a draft review before they publish it, so that you can address misunderstandings before it goes live.

Apparently this did not work this way in this case -

c´t also put a short Video online

http://heise.de/-1714848

Translation:

The Pandora is a complete Linux system in a small plastic case that resembles the first DS models.

The build quality is not able to keep pace with other mobile devices or smart phones. Jagged edges, large gaps and cheap-looking switch dominate the exterior.

To operate Pull a small plastic pin from the housing. With it you have to aim very accurate on the tiny icons of the touchscreen.

The complex menues of the linux interface can be operated only with a lot of care.

Ergonomics is´t the Pandora. Once you finally started a game, the guesswork starts by what keys it can be operated.

:wacko:

I´m very happy with my pandora since March-2012

Seriously... the menus are difficult to navigate? Sure if you hold the stylus like a DIPSHIT!

Edit: The German accent also makes him sound like an arsehole... (Not that everyone with a German accent sounds like an arsehole...)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pandora is a complete Linux system in a small plastic case that resembles the first DS models.
The build quality is not able to keep pace with other mobile devices or smart phones. Jagged edges, large gaps and cheap-looking switch dominate the exterior.

To operate Pull a small plastic pin from the housing. With it you have to aim very accurate on the tiny icons of the touchscreen.

The complex menues of the linux interface can be operated only with a lot of care.

Ergonomics is´t the Pandora. Once you finally started a game, the guesswork starts by what keys it can be operated

I have been using my pandora for a little while, and I have noticed no case construction problems, and can't see any cheap-looking switch (let alone an exterior-dominating one!)

I haven't heard a stylus called a small plastic pin before and mostly do not use it at all preferring fingernails, or this exiting new thing called a cursor!

Its also possible to vary the size of the desktop icons.

This guy is trying to use the pandora desktop like a smartphone UI (idiot)

If he wanted a smartphone interface, why didn't he try android, minimenu or PNDmanager?

From the way he uses the stylus, I assume he has never handwritten anything

I'm still not sure what c't means with "cheap looking switch", which "switch"? :blink: Shoulder BUTTONS or ABXY BUTTONS? Both are fine imho. Shoulder buttons should be already all fixed within the newer Pandoras.

And somebody should hint the c't, that you can use the desktop much faster and better with D-Pad navigation or in my case, even with Mouse Nub controlls. You don't need the Touchscreen at all in most programms, except Wesnoth maybe or Angry Birds or Freecell.

For Gaming controlls there are usualy readmes but I agree that the Pandora still is missing some basic controll layout standard. Could make things more easy but I know the war that was fight against that, unified standards are not that popular in the homebrew community it seems. ;)

With that fingernails there is no need for the "small plastic pin" to operate the Pandora...

That video really sucks. It's really a self-parody, in which they loudly proclaim their incompetence as technology reviewers.

Imagine a new car that consumes only 0.5 liter per 100 km, goes to 200 km/h in 10 seconds, allows you to seat 10 persons while you can easily rearrange the seats in different configurations or remove them to get a mini-truck, etc.

Now imagine the following review of this car:

"This car cannot keep up with other motor bikes or helicopters, because the color of its exterior looks rather cheap and is not available in flashy yellow or red.

To operate it, there is this strange circular wheel which you can turn with your teeth or knees. It is very hard to steer this way.

Ergonomics is not this car. Once you finally managed to switch on the engine (you have to insert the key and turn it, a very counter-intuitive procedure), the guesswork starts how to start driving, apply the brakes or toggle the blinkers."

In many ways, this is exactly what happened here.

"This car cannot keep up with other motor bikes or helicopters, because the color of its exterior looks rather cheap and is not available in flashy yellow or red.

To operate it, there is this strange circular wheel which you can turn with your teeth or knees. It is very hard to steer this way.

Ergonomics is not this car. Once you finally managed to switch on the engine (you have to insert the key and turn it, a very counter-intuitive procedure), the guesswork starts how to start driving, apply the brakes or toggle the blinkers."

nice review :D

-wb- hilarious and spot-on.

Has anyone written a similar letter to c't? Post your letters here :)

He never noticed that the nubs controlled the mouse? Doesn't it say that in the manual? Also that the Pandora button opens the menu for keyboard navigation. And I've been using my finger to start desktop icons for a long while now. It's like this guy intentionally went looking for problems and made the decision to not try and think about any of them.

"The complex menues of the linux interface can be operated only with a lot of care."

LOL :) why the hell did he chose "desktop" interface if he wanted something like minimenu obviously (the installer ask the question!) ? My guess is that he didn't want to take too much time for a device he didn't care of...It's very unprofessional to claim that it's a bad device because he didn't want to take the time to learn how to use it...

A reviewer is not like a potential buyer of a pandora however. A potential buyer of a pandora would learn at least what the pandora is about, and after buying it, would learn how to use it...(I mean, you don't spend >500€ if you don't want to learn how tu use it!)

I'm thinking that if OP team want to send free pandora to magazine for reviews, they should include, pre-prepared SD cards and a documentation of what you can do with it...Because the reviewer won't take the time to do it themselves apparently...

I still think that it just went into the wrong guys hand there and they took it for a gameconsole only.

One of the problems might be, that there was a prepared card sent with it and that he didn't have to go through the installer and stuff. Maybe he doesn't even lnow about minimenu and other stuff you can do with it.

They should give it to a linux guy there, not to a game reviewer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back