Release Albion

Wait, you are going to support Warcraft I eventually? HOLY. I ALWAYS WANTED A NON DOSBOX WAY TO PLAY THAT.
All four games can be compiled using the released code, but I'm not planning on doing binary (Windows or Linux) releases.
I only released Albion that way, because of the enhanced 3D graphics - something you can't get by emulating the original game.

BTW: Warcraft 1 is awesome and the only RTS I've ever finished (even with both factions).
Not even Dune 2 ? That's not a difficult game. Warcraft 1 and Dune 2 are the only RTS games I finished (I'm not counting Dune 1).
I'm currently struggling with Dune 2000 (I recently managed to finish 7th mission for Harkonnens). It's much more difficult than Dune 2 and I'm sure there are even more difficult RTS games (which I'm not planning to play).

@M-HT: Thank you again for still supporting Albion, it's a shame that Blue Byte got eaten by Ubisoft and we can forget about official support these days - which makes your port more than one could ask for.
Do you think you would get official support (for Albion) from Blue Byte if they still existed ?

First thank's a lot for releasing your work and congratulation for create such a great tools, second you should consider open a new thread.
Why a new thread ?

I'm currently struggling with Dune 2000 (I recently managed to finish 7th mission for Harkonnens). It's much more difficult than Dune 2 and I'm sure there are even more difficult RTS games (which I'm not planning to play).

I'm a Dune addicted, but Dune 2000 sucked for me, seemed like just a re-skin of Red-Alert (also Atreides sonic tanks destroys the other sonic thanks around them -_-)

Don't miss "Emperor: Battle for Dune", that's really a master piece. Near the end seems a bit incompleted, but just because it's full of things while you proceed, and it's also dynamic during the campaign, not only for where/who to attack but also to find new alliances... and you can also use worms to attack !! ...and many other cool things but i'll stop here :D

All four games can be compiled using the released code, but I'm not planning on doing binary (Windows or Linux) releases.
I only released Albion that way, because of the enhanced 3D graphics - something you can't get by emulating the original game.

I am not a coder, but damn I was hoping for a dosbox alternative for Warcraft, but thats okay, its your project, but thank you for the Albion port as well :)

M-HT: So, if I understood well, resulting ARM executables will run on a Pi with SDL 1.x installed? No X11 deps?
Any chance to update to SDL 2.0? SDL 1.x is legacy by now, time ago...

There are no X11 dependencies.
If you are using armhf, then that's currently not supported - I'll add support when I'll get my Pyra. (I think Warcraft doesn't use fpu at all, so that might work.)
You need to add some code for input/output (see directories audio, display, input in games/???/SR-???/) and change the compilation script (games/???/SConstruct) - currently there's code for Pandora, PC and GP2X (hopefully still working).
I added support for SDL2 to Albion some time ago (hopefully I didn't break it in the meantime) to see if it's better for something, but SDL1 is currently better. If you need SDL2, it shouldn't be difficult for you to add support for it to other games.

Windows version:
* rework keyboard input for ASCII characters
* fix numlock handling when Albion is started with numlock enabled
* add keyboard input for language specific characters
(works with English, French, German and Czech versions of Albion)
* add option to select the shape of SDL mouse cursor in window mode
(normal cursor, minimal cursor or no cursor)
* minor bug fixes
That is fantastic. Very good job. :happy:

Thanks

Assuming I doubled the dimensions of every image in the game, could high-res 2D rendering too be made, like the 3D?

Purely theoretically speaking yes, but practically not in this project as it is now. The hi-res 3D rendering is a kind of hack (99.99% working hack, but still a hack) - the game is working with the original resolution and displaying the hi-res rendering is done outside of game code.

(Don't get your hopes up, but I'm planning on doing some more reverse engineering of Albion so such thing might be possible, but that's a long time from now and there's no guarantee of success.)

See this video for demonstration

Okay, thanks. I've always wanted to see something like this in the game, especially due to the nature of the isle:

P6gwUgo.png

Last edited:
So, I'm running into a couple issues when trying to set up the game, on Windows, using the latest release.

1) I can't use the provided SR-Main file to skip the intro. When I do, checking the stderr logs tells me I need to start the game from the ALBION directory. I'm starting it from the ALBION directory. The ALBION.CMD file works just fine, though.

2) I can't seem to change the settings in Albion.cfg. I asked it to do 1440x960 at full screen, but it still boots up at 720x480 in windowed mode.

@AeonicB , this Forum thread is specifically for the Open Pandora Linux Handheld port done by MH-T are you using his github sources on Windows? If not, I'd suggest contacting the person who did the Windows port. If so, it may be hard coded to a specific resolution as 800x480 is the screen resolution of the Pandora.

@AeonicB , this Forum thread is specifically for the Open Pandora Linux Handheld port done by MH-T are you using his github sources on Windows? If not, I'd suggest contacting the person who did the Windows port. If so, it may be hard coded to a specific resolution as 800x480 is the screen resolution of the Pandora.

Yeah, I'm using SagaraS's binaries, which are posted to the same thread. Sorry about that.

I also released binaries for Windows and Linux (links to them are also in this thread - post #115), but I'm confused whether @AeonicB is using my binaries or not.

Sorry, they were yours, @MH-T. I was in a rush earlier, and picked the wrong name off the sidebar.

Look, it's fine. I'll just go with the straight GOG version. Sorry I posted in the wrong spot.

I have made for it a separate 7z file which includes the SourcePort from M-HT and a launcher written by me + some SoundFonts and Bassmidi.
And it also includes FFPlay. This allows the videos to be played in full-screen and does not need to use the SDL player.

The Lauchner makes configuring the CFG file easier.

Also you can choose the language so freely and still have all versions on it.

And also the demo can be activated as a feature.

It therefore supports M-HT's source port for during configuration.

So:
SourcePort was created by M-HT
Launcher was created by me for the version of windows.

The two things complement each other. ^^

Back