Absurdism corner

Why?

• Total voters

ovhq3fo0lr061.jpg

@Elw3 I guess he visited the old dimension.

I mean, I always wonder why space shows don't mention the effects of relativity more often. Do they find a cure for it in the future or something?

Reactions: rSl
Relativity makes you stop aging, why cure it?
There's actually this one really bad episode of the Twilight Zone that applies here, even if it involved cryogenics, not relativity.
Post automatically merged:

I mean, it just kinda sucks that every time you go on an interstellar space trip, the universe jumps forward several years.

It's hard enough to keep up with music as it is.

Yeah, I'm probably out of my league discussing this stuff, being a dropout and all.

I just wonder how, for instance, Star Trek has a universal star date. There's no such thing as a "correct" frame of reference. Basically, it means they just picked one to prioritize above all others. Those bigots.

I just wonder how, for instance, Star Trek has a universal star date. There's no such thing as a "correct" frame of reference. Basically, it means they just picked one to prioritize above all others. Those bigots.
Even better. Relativity effects are based on how fast objects move.
Now we live on a planet that spins around itself and sol, in a star system that spins around an arm of the milky way which itself spins around a central black hole which spins around with the other galaxies and so on.
Now tell me, how fast are we?

Well, for a good while, it was easiest to just assume the Earth was completely still. Worked for our purposes.

Then we just had to start launching satellites. Now everything's messed up. Darn technology.

Wait till you hear bout quantum physics.
Thinking something has a position? Forget it, there is only a chance that i may be there or not.
And if you try to observe where it is, your act of observing automatically makes it to be not there.
Imagine a baby closing his eyes so that no one sees it. Fucking works in quantum physics.

But it does mean that so long as your space ship is fast enough, you shouldn't die of old age before you get there. Given the speed of light is an absolute limit, and the nearest star is over 4 light years from our system, if you can get to the stupendous speed of half light speed then it's only 8 years there and 8 years back from your point of view. It'll be 32 years for anyone on earth, while you've only experienced 16 years. In comparison the fastest object I can find that we've launched from the solar system is the Voyager 1 probe which is currently travelling at a speed of about 17km/s, which is about 17647 thosandths of the speed of light. But if we could ever get close to half light speed it seems emininently doable.

Back