Absurdism corner

Why?

• Total voters

jfiyelh20mk51.jpg

Did we have this one yet?
Whoa.. snakepit!
Let's see, those rockets that go to the moon? Chinese science. And I thank that emperor that decreeted that those explosives was only for fireworks. Or we all would be speaking Chinese by now.
Those old soups, binding lentils and rice, because together they have the components to make your body extract more nutrients than if eaten separately. Old Lore from generations of medicine (wo)man.
The amazone indians, that introduced coca leaves/cocaine, which slowly slipped into western culture by coca cola, and as cocaine, first as medicine (pull a tooth), now as (rich people) party drug.
The wheel, either middle east or central american (https://www.wired.com/story/who-invented-wheel-how-did-they-do-it/)...
and so, "western" civilisation is a mix and blend of all those knowledges picked up on the way.

Drop science, and don't take something using a combustion engine to go to school/work. Lose metallurgy and eat with your hands (or chopsticks), etc.

Now for me, there IS a tension between cultural lore. For example, the drugs centric western world does not focus on nutrition at all.
There is also that certain arrogance that something not in the culture is ineffective, or does not exist, or is ridiculed, until it's endorsed by known people. Or that it's the first time that.... or we discovered...
For example: Ignaz that was ridiculed for saying to wash your hands after touching dead people, before going to the maternity, just 200 years ago.

In both worlds, there is ineffectiveness: Snakeoil/quacks and ineffective superstition.

Now Science by itself is not free of errors. It is quite blind at retracing itself. So lies are written in textbooks, but never corrected.
He blamed the artist for the discrepancies, without admitting that he was the artist. (source: Russell Grigg, "Fraud Rediscovered", Creation, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp.49-51)
Or the fact that each of us carries around 200 genetical errors, out of thousands... so knowing entropy, that means that in the past, we had less errors... so were better.... so we are devolving...
(and see how I still write 200 instead of 60, as that link says, because that's only 1 study, and the consensus is still 200).
And yes, we _could_ evolve... but it's like using 100 tons of TNT on rocks and expecting a wall to appear... I agree that it COULD happen.... not today, but maybe in a million years...

Is magic, as postulated in the video, possible? Sure. bind yourself to a daemon and you could. Don't recommend it though, the price they ask is high.
Is magic like voodoo effective? Yes, but only if you believe in voodoo (through the noscebo effect), or if you use even darker magic (binding to daemons).
Dive deep in the internet and you'll read about dark magic, like a sacrifice and someone that rises to power. link

There is white magic too. We see it as synchronicity, or in those twins that can feel that something happened to the other twin.

But these two worlds complement each other too. For example: If you practice piano, now a machine can see your neural pathways and show actual development in larger areas in your brain that dedicate themselves to generating music. And so, quack guru's will tell you that if you mind your mind with making money, you also develop those neural pathways, which then give you better chances at exactly that. The drawback of that is that you need to get obsessed with it in order to be effective. You see that with all kind of geniuses, that really focus a lot on something, neglect other aspects of "being", but excel in their (narrow) field.

2000 B.C. - Here, eat this root.
1000 A.D. - That root is heathen. Here, say this prayer.
1850 A.D. - That prayer is superstition. Here, drink this potion.
1940 A.D. - That potion is snake oil. Here, swallow this pill.
1985 A.D. - That pill is ineffective. Here, take this antibiotic.
2000 A.D. - That antibiotic is artificial. Here, eat this root

Last edited:
@FBnil I'd rather fault her for thinking science would be some ethnically charged doctrin and wanting to withhold it from her fellow South Africans.

@FBnil I'd rather fault her for thinking science would be some ethnically charged doctrin and wanting to withhold it from her fellow South Africans.
Hmmm...I still think that it applied only to that space/room/forum. A bit like going to a Linux convention and starting talking about how to make cannelloni... yeah... that is better done at a pasta convention.
But once the ideas are firm and defined, then comes the application, and yes... that would mean a withholding (white technology) Television . I expect riots about not being able to have a television.

(too lazy to write more detailed but I also think they mix up (white) science, with (white) consumer-capitalism, or "the system", where lots are at the bottom without a way to climb up - independent of the SA mentality to not go to work when there's enough to eat today which sound unreliable to us westeners, but is also a less greedy way of consuming and living)

somewhat related:

Reading the comments I was like :confused: :eek: o_O :-#

Comments were golden, but I missed recompression. So he could have 7zipped the file 10 times to get an even smaller resulting file.
Before you say that is not possible it is because you can only recompress in a recompression chamber and you are just in a house without ATA.

Makes me wonder if somebody ever made a matroska kind of zip file, like to get to the file you need to unzip it 100 times.

Did you know you can google underwater? https://elgoog.im/

• Haha
Reactions: rSl
Makes me wonder if somebody ever made a matroska kind of zip file, like to get to the file you need to unzip it 100 times.

In the old times when 720kb floppies ruled the world, I made a batch to do a "matroska" of LHA->RAR->ACE->ARJ to have an autoextracting archive split in more floppies... actually I don't remember well the list of compressors used or the reasons for putting them in that order, but most of the times the extra compressed bits made me save some floppies :happy:

Back