Absurdism corner

Why?

• Total voters

k087dk8gtnf81.jpg

My daughter is hooked on Roblox. We considered removing it and she became very upset saying that if she wasn't on it her friends would think she's a nerd. A nerd for not gaming. Completely absurd.
Apparently kids look down on one another for not having neat fortnite skins ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My daughter is hooked on Roblox. We considered removing it and she became very upset saying that if she wasn't on it her friends would think she's a nerd. A nerd for not gaming. Completely absurd.
She's at the age of trying to start winning arguments against their parents. Encourage it with cunning, hone her skills for when she's an adult. A cunning adult doesn't go full Karen. Caveat: Double edged sword.
Now, her logic is sound: You do not have a Roblox account AND you are a nerd (and to be honest, you are on this forum; I welcome you, fellow nerd). So... the sample size is 1, so that means it's your duty to talk about adequate sample sizes before extrapolating information... but good brains she has, must be the genes from her parents. ;)
It's also winter, rainy and cold outside... so internet use varies with seasons.
In this era of technology, taking away the phone is akin to grounding a child. So Roblox, even being a bullying cesspit (you keep an eye out for that, and guide her), is the place to hang, for her "group of peers". Otoh, fresh air is also a good thing. So go with your gut feeling on this. Try to do stuff together, if you have some time. Like writing with lemonjuice and then, when dry, using a candle in some non-flammable place (and also show how to use a hot iron) to make the text appear. I try to use rebus and math to give her URL's of things she wants to see. (but it only worked for a short while, because her google-fu is getting stronger). Mine likes 2 player games (there's lots of them on the net, like: fireboy and watergirl). I like to use an additional usb keyboard, so we are not cramped, but usually 1 keyboard will do.

She's at the age of trying to start winning arguments against their parents.
She tells me with conviction she is smarter than me.

She's rather lippy, full of comebacks and little jibes. I can't help but laugh at her utterly disrespectful witicisms. I know where they come from and am absolutely proud of her ability to take a stand verbally. But I am encouraging disrespectful behaviour. She's gotten in trouble a few times at school for being insensitive. I go talk to her teachers and in my discomfort what do I do? Tell jokes. With a straight face. Her teachers are like, I see.......

You want your children to be smart you get full package. I think I need to be stoned a bit less around her though.

A server room with a halide atmosphere after the fire suppressant has gone off?
That, or in a house full of asbestos, or the surface of the moon, or underwater...

She tells me with conviction she is smarter than me.
ROFL... same here. Every day, as often as possible. Except for math homework, when I help out.

Back