A video. Again. Mostly about cases.

At least for the Pree Pree Orders,
But the question is : how useful is the Pyra at this state??
If I would get my Pyra today, what can I do whit it?? (Beside of look at it and enjoy??)
I know it’s a normal Debian, and some of us got it already in use.. also Toastbucked is currently working on the Charging Software, which is great because it’s better to recharge the battery than grow it away everytime and buy a new battery..
can I use libre office, can I play Debian Games , Solitär, Minesweeper etc??

Yep the charger driver is already working on the bootloader and the rework of the driver in the kernel is well underway. It will be done very soon (probably by the end of the weekend but no promises). Following that will be the rework of the battery fuel gauge driver. This is a separate chip from the charger and monitors the battery to tell the kernel how much time is left until the battery’s dead/charged, battery health, etc.

I haven’t done a whole lot of playing around with it in terms of everyday usage, but I did throw visualboyadvance on there to play around a little bit. And it worked really well. I haven’t quite figured out yet how to use the dbp repository and things like that but I plan to download some more games and stuff to check it out. I may have a Pyra prototype, but I haven’t really had an opportunity yet to play with it the way you guys will ;)

Personally I’m not a big fan of Mate so I’d be curious about trying some other DEs. I installed i3 (this is my default DE) and I really liked its performance. I’ll work on a config for it at some point because the current one isn’t exactly Pyra friendly. I also tried GNOME but I couldn’t get it to start. I’m not really sure if it was too heavy or a configuration issue or something, I didn’t put too much time into it.

I couldn’t get the Firefox package to work, I’m likely doing something wrong because again I didn’t put too much into it, but I installed Midori and it works really smoothly. Used it to go and download a couple games to test out and it was nice and responsive.

I do happen to know that building rust has become something of a head scratcher on i686 (i.e. 32bit) hardware, which stops firefox building. It wouldn't surprise me if ARM32 builds were broken for similar reasons to be honest. There was also an earlier showstopper which was down to systems running out of memory at link stage and I don't know exactly how they got round that.

I don't know what codebase midori is based on. Perhaps it's still stuck on a pre-quantum build like seamonkey is stuck on, which seems to be much straightforward to build just based on a c++ build environment.

But yeah, it's not something I'd worry about just now. Links can read these boards just fine for now, and if midori runs that's a bonus.

Edit: Ah, midori is a webkitgtk based monstrosity, although on the scale of monstrosities probably not as big of a one as a modern rust-based firefox.

Last edited:
Yeah, you might have more luck with palemoon. It seems to have forked off some pre-quantum ESR a couple of years ago and gone its own way since then, so should be a simpler build.

@ToastBucket how is i3 not Pyra friendly? I'm curious what needs changing.
Yes, I'm curious about that. I think the default is to use the windows key on all modifiers, which I think the Pyra doesn't have (unless you count the super key which I think is the Pyra button). I'd prefer a shoulder key to work against a keyboard key to swtich tabs or to move things in i3. Does anyone have a handy reference for what the shoulders do at the moment? I'd assume two of the are ctrl+shift as per the Pandora but I'm not sure what the other two do. Of course it's configurable, but I'm not sure what the current OS defines it as.

@ToastBucket how is i3 not Pyra friendly? I'm curious what needs changing.
i3 default modifier is the super key which is way up in the middle of the display. This is the main issue. The rest of the default config is pretty alright. I’d like to make the modifier one of the shoulder buttons but haven’t bothered to look into what they’re mapped to yet :)

i3 default modifier is the super key which is way up in the middle of the display. This is the main issue. The rest of the default config is pretty alright. I’d like to make the modifier one of the shoulder buttons but haven’t bothered to look into what they’re mapped to yet :)
Aren't the shoulder buttons Control, Alt, Shift, and Super as well though?

Hmm... I like using super for most bindings in I3, as there aren't any conflicts with any other apps (emacs, tmux, etc). I'm also curious how the shoulder buttons could be made to work... perhaps the four shoulder buttons could be Control, Alt, Shift and Super?

My friend i have tryed almost everything . Changed Matterials and colors (trust me it cost me a lot :D ) Transparent one is the best who hides most of discolors but doesnt solve the problem with leds . I had manage to Fix some Shrinking problems and some discolor problems but not all of them cause the companie who design the molds Gives the Feeding Inside the Item , Thats why Discolor happens . In Some molds i had changed the feeding cause i could. In some others Like the Keyboard and Screen were the feeding is inside the Item cannot be change by design but i managed to fixed them a bit. All the Improvments i have done was almost hand made and little by CnC .Best solution for discolor is Paint . Mechanical the Case is Good and more Tests will aprove that and if it needs more improvment here i am to give my best :) !!!!
Is the dark red colour possible? I understand the initial test turned out more brown than red.

It's a LOT less complex than doing physical designs to a keymat.
shhht... don't say that, it might become a keyboard thread...

I would advise against predicting
we already have something better than estimates, we have hard numbers: 2 more months!

It's that first impression that may be key to success.
Amen to that.

Remember the multi-month drama over types of screws?
no no... don't remind me, please, oh God, no... no... *recesses back into a corner*

as soon as it is ready.
Exactly. It is done when it is done. It feels like there is a crowd around a concert trying to get in but the gates are still closed.

You capture the environmentalist crowd
Hmm.. only if it was made with, say bamboo, or recycled plastic... could be a good idea. But for round 2.

On environmentalist attraction
Maybe it would be better to also not distribute the different materials all over the device like it is, but rather have them separated each as a neat solid cube - would make for optimal recyclability.

Back