A/v Cables Have Arrived!

lulzfish said:
I ran that image through a few passes of GIMP's Magical CSI Image Enhancer
That thing has to be magic... Because how did it read "magic ... more magic" on that resistor/whatever? It's completely unlabeled...

Last edited by a moderator:
dflemstr said:
lulzfish said:
I ran that image through a few passes of GIMP's Magical CSI Image Enhancer
That thing has to be magic... Because how did it read "magic ... more magic" on that resistor/whatever? It's completely unlabeled...
That's no resistor - it's clearly the magic switch that every hand-made computer should have.

N.B. It might be referring to this story

dflemstr said:
I think that -Tj- refers to the latency between a screen update on the Pandora and it showing up on the TV, and not the time it takes from someone sticking in the actual cable and the TV getting a picture.

It might be the TV that's to blame for that, however. TVs don't usually have to show content quickly, so they don't.

I suspect you are right, many LCDs have a couple of frames of latency for some post processing. Some sets have a "game mode" which is supposed to turn the processing off and give the minimum latency the set can manage.

Anyway, I was interested in Pandora as a portable device, basically. However, that seems to be a well-featured cable. An order modification might be required.

sverm said:
Very nice. The kind of video test I'd also like to see is one where the SVideo output was directly captured, rather than recorded via another camera. Would that be possible?
Even if that happened, the resulting file would still have to be resized and compressed, thus affecting the quality significantly. It would be better and easier to wait until someone reviews it. Not long now :)

WhiteBat said:
hey MWeston, what does this say?

zumae9.png

"do not touch...something"

it looks like a power regulator circuit so it might be good advice.
changing a capacitor or resistor value by touching it might send higher voltage to the chips.

(still curious about what the 2nd line says tho :) )

Stephane Hockenhull said:
(still curious about what the 2nd line says tho :) )
I thought that was clear?
In case you're using elinks or something, I'll quote what lulzfish's recent image contained:
"Do not touch when live"

"Do not touch when live"

It's the feedback loop for the 5V supply and the capacitance from your body is enough to throw it out of whack and even destroy the chip. It's ridiculously sensitive but it runs fine if you leave it alone.

MWeston said:
"Do not touch when live"

It's the feedback loop for the 5V supply and the capacitance from your body is enough to throw it out of whack and even destroy the chip. It's ridiculously sensitive but it runs fine if you leave it alone.
Couldn't that have been covered with... isolating plastic or something? o_O

Oh well the rest of the board is awesome so who am I to complain. I prboably won't even be doing any modding any time soon.

Ähm, sorry, but if the pandora is in his case, you dont see the "dont touch when life" because it is under the plastik or it is for the modder
but thy arent no noobs!! :unsure:

matzesu said:
thy arent no noobs!! :unsure:
Never underestimate the idiocy of someone with a screwdriver :p
Or, to put a better way, even a professional might say "what's that?" and then poke it without thinking, especially when eager to know how something works. Mistakes happen, better to label it and reduce the risk than assume your audience will know what to do in every situation.

in my life as fresh baken pandora owner, i wouldnt not open the pandora because thats to diverent for me, to make somewhere on the hardware, for me it must work, plays hb games, emus, inet etc, thats a 300€ device, i dount want that it get breaket.. :rolleyes:

dflemstr said:
Couldn't that have been covered with... isolating plastic or something? o_O
I suppose you could cover it yourself with epoxy. I've seen a bunch of circuit boards that had areas covered with it, sometimes to protect areas they know you could mod easily to circumvent region or copyright protection (Wii), other times to protect it for other reasons. It would have to be a non-conductive epoxy, though.

MWeston said:
"Do not touch when live"

What would happen if a liquid got in there, say a splash of water or a Coke? It's right next to the seam and two case openings. Or is this just a problem with the "capacitance" of our bodies and not an issue with a conductive material getting on it?

Though, I guess that wouldn't help any parts of the inside, except that many electronics are fine once dried out, this sounds like a splash could fry the board, if liquids are indeed an issue.

BackAssward said:
MWeston said:
"Do not touch when live"

What would happen is a liquid got in there. Say a splash of water or a Coke? It is right next to the seam and two case openings. Or is this just a problem with the "capacitance" of our bodies and not an issue with a conductive material getting on there?

Though, I guess that wouldn't help any parts of the inside, except many things are fine once dried out, this sounds like a splash could fry the board.

really good point to consider!

MWeston, point out the answer for us!

I wonder if epoxy could shield it..

The pandora cost over $300 if you treat it that way you should be fine...

greendots said:
The pandora cost over $300 if you treat it that way you should be fine...
My laptop is over $3,000...that doesn't mean someone won't trip near me and splash it. How I treat my product has nothing to do with what can happen to it. An informed consumer is a happy consumer; I haven't implied anything, just asked a straight forward question on product stresses.

Regardless, it is a fair question to ask. I hope you aren't suggesting that we shouldn't ask these things? Perhaps this scenario hasn't been thought of (in the millions of things they have to worry about). It is better to ask first, than be sorry later; these sorts of questions have helped find things in the past.

Back