New Pic From Mweston (Rev5 Board)

LeChuck87

There's a new Pic on MWeston's Photobucket-Page.

Have a look

The Comment from MW is
Now with more hacker points to void your warranty even faster. ;)

I haven't found the changes to Rev4 so far... anyone?!?

EDIT: to be more precise it's Rev5a... :blink:

EDIT 2: and what's that unfinished looking part on the upper right?!

LeChuck87 said:
EDIT 2: and what's that unfinished looking part on the upper right?!

Looks like the insulation was scraped away to obtain a nice big 0V measurement point.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, are these the ones that Texas is building?

I am also wondering what's defferent on those Rev.5.... are the 1000's board produced by the factory Rev5 ?

I doubt there is anything dramatic in this new rivision anyway just want to make sure what we're talking about.

Based on the comment from MWeston, I would say that the main differences are bigger or more soldering points for the hackers :p

It would be nice to know what each chip and component is and what it does with some sort of draw over labeling :)

I've got a pretty solid guess on which ones are the wifi/bluetooth and omap chips :) but the rest not sure. Like the long one which seems to be connected to the LCD ribbon cable connector, what does that one do?

At a glance, I see solder points right by the EXT port for the UART pins that are on that port and the I2C3 pads right beside the wifi chip. Which begs the question, if there were I2C pins available, why weren't they run to the EXT port? Or are these actually connected to something that you would need to disable in order to get true access to them?

The date on the board is 9/09 so this is probably what we are getting. Also it wouldn't make sense to release info on a new board that first batchers wouldn't receive...

And (recalling from memory) MWeston did say that the 105 boards that were built and tested weren't the final-final ones, that some minor tweaks were still to come.

That I2C3 bus looks like it's already in use by something, but since I2C is an addressed bus, one could add slave devices - just make sure the addresses wont collide... Nice touch :), the EXT port pins it seems have been made accessible from the inside, another nice touch.
@MW: Thanks; I'd like to see the other side of the board too :p

WizardStan said:
At a glance, I see solder points right by the EXT port for the UART pins that are on that port and the I2C3 pads right beside the wifi chip. Which begs the question, if there were I2C pins available, why weren't they run to the EXT port? Or are these actually connected to something that you would need to disable in order to get true access to them?

Imho I2C is used for the Nubs

this are the most obvious changes http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/chaosfx123/rev5marked.jpg

the batteryconnector looks different too

@chaosfx: Pretty good picture, but IIRC those LED7 and LED8 vias atleast we'rent marked before.
I'm curious to the purpose of the non-existant Q17 and Q18. I'm quessing they have something to do with LED7 and LED8...

Nice, the new one has more gold in it I guess, some solder points and connections of Rev. 4 look silver but it simply can be from the light around.

The Battery contact can't be right, maybe a safety cover or so, one single metal part can't connect a batttery to the system. :-||"

fusion_power said:
Nice, the new one has more gold in it I guess, some solder points and connections of Rev. 4 look silver but it simply can be from the light around.

The Battery contact can't be right, maybe a safety cover or so, one single metal part can't connect a batttery to the system. :-||"
It looks 3D to me, more a SMC connector for the cable to the contacts on the battery part of the case.

Back