A physical Dummy, Power Usage and MIPI

But that depends on the bridge also supporting that speed. The SATA bridge will probably be an order or magnitude slower than the SATA interface.

Regarding battery life:

I advice everyone here to check their average CPU usage via Pandora System Info, some of you might be surprised.

The current battery doesn't run nearly 10h if you play Dreamcast all the time and afaik OMAP5 will use much less power for this at full speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please let's move the SATA vs. eMMC discussion to the eMMC vs. MicroSD thread :) .

Could there be a way to do that while still allowing it to run on a Pandora battery? No need to find a way to put a Pyra battery in the Pandora (that constraint restricts the design of the new battery too much), but the other way around could be a nice feature.
Like I said before, we can do it like ZeroLemon does their batteries. Have the front the same size as the Pandora and have the back wider and perhaps taller.

Link

@_wb_, HDMI out is built into the SoC, I believe Display port would require an additional driver chip. We know board space is a premium so it ends up being the better choice.

Could there be a way to do that while still allowing it to run on a Pandora battery? No need to find a way to put a Pyra battery in the Pandora (that constraint restricts the design of the new battery too much), but the other way around could be a nice feature.
Like I said before, we can do it like ZeroLemon does their batteries. Have the front the same size as the Pandora and have the back wider and perhaps taller.

Link
I can see how something like that could fit into a Pandora, but I don't see how it would not fall out.

@_wb_, HDMI out is built into the SoC, I believe Display port would require an additional driver chip. We know board space is a premium so it ends up being the better choice.
That's what I assumed. I'm fine with HDMI -- if you need DP it should be easy enough to find an adapter, and the extra features of DP are probably not that useful anyway for our purposes.

But that depends on the bridge also supporting that speed. The SATA bridge will probably be an order or magnitude slower than the SATA interface.
You're probably right; the fastest I could find with a quick search was 80MiB/s, which is IIRC less than the SD bus speed quoted in some other thread :(

Good news, let's hope for more.

We can definitely make compromises to increase the battery size if there appears to be good solutions with substantial gains.

You mean aside from the issue I already mentioned with not being able to use the wall charger and USB slave mode at the same time?
But I was addressing slaeshjag who said he'd rather have a barrel connector than any microUSB port at all. That compromise kind of makes your problem moot.
@prometheus- the non-standard power adapter (although deceivingly usb compatible) doesn't work off usb ports because it needs like 6-7v or something silly, if you plug in a normal device into the part that plugs into the wall with the usb shaped hole you will blow out your device.. so be careful... ( I love my wife very much )
What was this device? I've never heard of something like this happening. The makers were idiots.Suffice it to say, with USB you will ALMOST definitely get 5V. With some barrel connector you could be getting anything.
Asus transformer tf101, and *ahem* we, have killed 2 devices now using that charger :(

I'm against any logo that's not in the forum thread!

I even would accept one of these letters or cubes but not a logo designed behind closed doors!
I'm not. What I'm against is a logo that looks unprofessional.

But this has already been discussed in the logo thread.

forgive me if this has been said/asked already somewhere eles atm not alot of free time to read for hrs (wish i could) but how much memory will it have. also i have owned alot of ext hard drives over the years and i have never seen any with esata all just usb. thank god for usb 3.0 no more waiting 5+hr's for 100gigs to transfer.

can't wait to see how this all comes out

I'm ok with using screws to hold the battery in place.

yea saw that just never know if anything has changed in that area, not saying we need more was just wondering

I was working on a $20,000 dev board that took 5V input, and right next to it was an FPGA evaluation board that took 12V input [...] I think you can see where this story is going...
It is somehow reassuring to hear you make mistakes too sometimes! :)

Regarding battery life:

I advice everyone here to check their average CPU usage [...] the current battery doesn't run nearly 10h if you play Dreamcast all the time.
I was basically thinking that the the idea that people will typically only use a fraction of the CPU/system therefore the battery will last a long time may not necessary be the case. Partly based on the fact some people do prefer to spend nearly all their time playing the most cutting edge games/emulators available, partly because rather than having software optimized to run at 800MHz, software will be optimized to run at whatever speed the new system can manage. It feels fair to say it is unlikely that the most common use case won't be the device having all cores at 90% + usage consistently, but then again if one or two of the more recent console emulators make good use of multiple cores I don't see it unrealistic that a lot of people will run their device nearer the top end a lot of the time.

I often find my bottle neck with handheld/phone/tablets is the GPU (often the fill rate) more than the CPU; I don't know how well the GPU stacks up against the CPU? Anyone?

I'm against any logo that's not in the forum thread!

I even would accept one of these letters or cubes but not a logo designed behind closed doors!
I'm not. What I'm against is a logo that looks unprofessional.

But this has already been discussed in the logo thread.
There are currently 1434 replies in the main logo thread, plus some additional logo threads that discuss particular logo concepts. What makes you think that any professional would spend that much time and creative energy on one logo?

Professional or not, I think a logo that originates from the community would be nice and completely according to the spirit of this project.

If you insist on a professional logo design, how much are you willing to pay for that? Keep in mind that this one-time cost cannot be amortized over millions of units. Professional design firms charge a several thousands of dollars for a logo, so that would make every Pyra a few dollars more expensive. Is that really worth it?

Would now be a bad time to bring up the suggestion of using 2 batteries side by side to make up the bottom of the unit? You can almost fit 2 side by side along the underside of the Pandora now.

That wouldn't make sense, as you could simply use a wider battery.

Also, you can't put 2 of them side by side - there's stuff in the areas beneath the battery compartment...
I'm just thinking out of my whatever here, but would it be possible to make some kind of small and thin clips to clip the two Pandora batteries together? The clip would somehow make the proper connections between the two batteries and brings out only one set of contacts? This way we won't add much thickness but double the battery life. I have 4 spare pandora batteries and would love to be able to do this.

I don't see how those brain dead design firms could come up with anything better. Logos are always better when they are simple. Even A dragon in an opened box would do the trick. Shapes of things are usually more convincing and memorable than abstract geometric objects and symbols.

Back