A Name For New Upcoming Pandora Zine

inside the box

Out of the Box!

sounds alot more like a newspaper/magazine

+1 for Hellollo, I also think inside the box would make a great name though :)

If you want to use pandoramic, i already bought the domain before xmas for a similar thing, but havnt gotten round to it yet.

If you want to use it, you can :)

I would like Boxed. :)

Bur please, make the font size adjustable. It shouldn't be a big thing and will make reading so much easier. As for me and my bad eyesight, I probably won't read it at all if the font is that small...

What about "Open the box" or "Discover the box"?

Some technical suggestions...

What about making it GPL? This could be quite useful for similar initiatives in different languages.

What about using only one binary and then able to sync the data over internet or a file? This could reduce bloating and even making it easier to use. You select "sync over internet" and then gets a tiny tar.bz2 file with all the text, images and background music. The user then should be able to read even the older editions with the same app.

If guys with demoscene skills want to collabore. Some nice GFX could be added. Imagine 3D, pixel art and all kind of effects in a non annoying way for reading. Those could be upgraded or adding more by some kind of plugin infraestructure :)

Because the "diskmag" is in electronic format and the device has great connectivity, why not taking advantage of it? Imagine see the review of an emulator or homebrew game, then click on it and able to install it. If it's commercial, then a link to a selling service or the site. Able to see videos of the games and emulators too, doing streaming over internet to youtube or other.

Another option would be able to change the background music or select what ones to hear in a playlist-like mode while reading.

For avoiding getting too much bw, an option could be making a bittorrent tracker exclusively for the "diskmag".

The color choice looks terrible so far. The background should be a neutral color, with a contrasting text color.

timofonic said:
What about "Open the box" or "Discover the box"?

Some technical suggestions...

What about making it GPL? This could be quite useful for similar initiatives in different languages.

Im thinking about sligtly different thing, -> make this diskmag completely "article independent" from engine.
All text sould be in txt [ quasi script files ] and images also will be in one folder. To make your own diskmag you will need to change scriptfiles and images.. and thats it , you dont need to be programmer to make your own discmag, of course. Its a waay better than creating new build on a top of source of ITB, because not everyone that wants create mags has the ability to code it in C++.

timofonic said:
What about using only one binary and then able to sync the data over internet or a file? This could reduce bloating and even making it easier to use. You select "sync over internet" and then gets a tiny tar.bz2 file with all the text, images and background music. The user then should be able to read even the older editions with the same app.
I dont really know how pandora will handle internet connections, and thats the problem...

timofonic said:
If guys with demoscene skills want to collabore. Some nice GFX could be added. Imagine 3D, pixel art and all kind of effects in a non annoying way for reading. Those could be upgraded or adding more by some kind of plugin infraestructure :)

all zine will be in modular version

timofonic said:
Because the "diskmag" is in electronic format and the device has great connectivity, why not taking advantage of it? Imagine see the review of an emulator or homebrew game, then click on it and able to install it. If it's commercial, then a link to a selling service or the site. Able to see videos of the games and emulators too, doing streaming over internet to youtube or other.
If we figure out how its working on pandora [ internet / wifi ] we could do that, but now i dont think we could handle it...

timofonic said:
Another option would be able to change the background music or select what ones to hear in a playlist-like mode while reading.
Ill add some christian black music / gospiel death metal / grindcore hip hop to choose from :p, we will see , firstly i need to finish basics of the engine...

timofonic said:
For avoiding getting too much bw, an option could be making a bittorrent tracker exclusively for the "diskmag".
If you ask me , i should say its kind pointless. Maybe somebody has other point of view...

Last edited by a moderator:
Pandorization
or
P&|A MAG

i like the code like P&|A (P and or A)
but ITB is great ² ..eh.. too

In effect, it would just be a custom RSS feed reader (that's hardcoded to a specific feed) - that way you can attach music and images to different posts. If you design it right, you could even include executable "minigame of the month" items

It'd be pretty easy to have an offline version too, that just offers each month's worth of posts as a zip file, of some sorts

I really like "P&¦A" and even more "Hellollo", but I fear those titles might be a tad too confusing for new users -- which we all hope will arrive in droves, right?

Right now, if you use one of those above, you're going to need a permanent subtitle to explain (I'd love to read the explanation for "Hellollo"; it should be hilarious). So why not going all-out retro and pick a lame, eighties nerdy name, like "Pandora User", "Pandora Format" or heck, why not "Pandora World"? I'm pretty sure Craig would love that last one B) .

Hellollo
"where just hello won't be enough"

Hellollo
"that's what you get with a touchscreen keybord and no case yet"

Hellollo
"Because ollolleH doenst make sense"

Hellollo
"The pandora fanzine"

Hellollo
"thehe pandorara fanzinene"

Hellollo
"Just a typo"

Hellollo
"PandaPower to everybody"

Bosbeetle said:
Hellollo
"where just hello won't be enough"

Hellollo
"that's what you get with a touchscreen keybord and no case yet"

Hellollo
"Because ollolleH doenst make sense"

Hellollo
"The pandora fanzine"

Hellollo
"thehe pandorara fanzinene"

Hellollo
"Just a typo"

Hellollo
"PandaPower to everybody"

Im sure that we use this somehow. Its funny...

this is friendlier to the eyes, especially when reading small fonts on a small monitor:

787971_itb.jpg

I vote for name "Pandora Zine"

mali said:
Trevor Bradley said:
Pandora has some insane dpi on a tiny tiny screen, only 3.6 inches across.
It's 4.3" ;)(note to self: diagonal != across)
Edit:
I've checked it on my N800(800x480 4.1") it's perfectly readable for me(the example from post 14) :)

In that case I vote for pandora zine subtitle: "Only for people with perfect sight!" :rolleyes:

Back