A Name For New Upcoming Pandora Zine

Trevor Bradley said:
Pandora has some insane dpi on a tiny tiny screen, only 3.6 inches across.
It's 4.3" ;)(note to self: diagonal != across)
Edit:
I've checked it on my N800(800x480 4.1") it's perfectly readable for me(the example from post 14) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, should be better :p

clipboard02ri5.jpg

mali said:
Trevor Bradley said:
Pandora has some insane dpi on a tiny tiny screen, only 3.6 inches across.
It's 4.3" ;)(note to self: diagonal != across)
Edit:
I've checked it on my N800(800x480 4.1") it's perfectly readable for me(the example from post 14) :)

Yea, I should have said "horizontally". I needed the true width to work out dpi properly.

I've not seen these new beautiful high dpi screens, so we'll have to see. Some eyesight of the older folks may not be as good as you whippersnappers. *Shakes fist! Get off my lawn!*

Maybe do what the Wii does for Wii News?? Use the L/R buttons to increase/decrease the font size... let us choose our own font size!

You can zoom in and out in firefox with "ctrl + +" and "ctrl + -", I'm assuming that's what you'd be reading it on. So long as you don't put silly big pictures on there and we have to keep scrolling left to right to read the text it should be fine.

+1 for PandorAdorer :( :lol:

Trevor Bradley said:
That font is going to be REALLY small to read. Pandora has some insane dpi on a tiny tiny screen, only 3.6 inches across. Our eyes are going to fall out.

There was a discussion about this in the dev forums... let me go find it.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=45781

I went with a 9x15px bold font as the "smallest readable" for my Pandora game.

EDIT: A simulation of what this would look like on a pandora assuming you're looking at this image right now using a 72dpi monitor.

InsideTheBoxSim.jpg

Put your hands closer to your monitor as if you were holding a Pandora if you don't believe it's actually this small. :)

The font on the Pandora would be clearer, but not larger. Your font looks about 7px or smaller across. Try for 10px or more... somewhere halfway between your existing font and the font at the bottom of the page (UAE4Pandora)

It's almost impossible to accurately set your monitor to 72 dpi. You're better off printing the original 800x480 pixel image with the document size set to 93,6x56,2 mm (~217pixels/inch). It is readable, in a painful kind of way ;)

I don't think I saw anyone suggest Pandamonium. Or Pandemonium (proper spelling) or Pandomonium. If not Pandamonium then my 2 Abe Lincolns say Inside The Box.

clippa said:
You can zoom in and out in firefox with "ctrl + +" and "ctrl + -", I'm assuming that's what you'd be reading it on. So long as you don't put silly big pictures on there and we have to keep scrolling left to right to read the text it should be fine.
Actually it sounds like this will be a Pandora app, and not via Firefox, in which case Pandora specific controls make sense.

Trevor Bradley said:
clippa said:
Actually it sounds like this will be a Pandora app, and not via Firefox, in which case Pandora specific controls make sense.

Thats right, ITB will be pandora executable app, not PDF or HTML'ed e-zine.

Ah right, are you going to make the font size adjustable via the shoulder buttons or something?

I assume you're using truetype fonts? If this is representative of your final rendering, you should make sure you pick a font with appropriate hinting. You can see this font isn't calculating its curves very well at this font size. (See 0, Q, B for obvious examples.)

If you can get antialiasing to work, it's less of a problem.

StreaK said:

Kagato said:
I assume you're using truetype fonts? If this is representative of your final rendering, you should make sure you pick a font with appropriate hinting. You can see this font isn't calculating its curves very well at this font size. (See 0, Q, B for obvious examples.)

If you can get antialiasing to work, it's less of a problem.
Trust me, at 217+ dpi (the approximate resolution of the Pandora's screen) you do not need antialiasing.

+1 for Hellollo. Not only is it an inside joke that the community knows well enough, it's short, unique, and rather inviting IMHO.

praxis said:
+1 for Hellollo. Not only is it an inside joke that the community knows well enough, it's short, unique, and rather inviting IMHO.
I quite like that too.
As well as being an inside joke, it also has the added bonus of taking the p*ss out of Hello! magazine :D

SOLGarion said:
I don't think I saw anyone suggest Pandamonium. Or Pandemonium (proper spelling) or Pandomonium. If not Pandamonium then my 2 Abe Lincolns say Inside The Box.
Page 1 :p

Hellollo only has 2,590 hits on Google, FWIW.
The Pandora forums don't show up until the 4th result, the first 3 results are weird websites that don't seem to exist but apparently contain the word "hellollo" somewhere.

Back