6 buttons AB/CD/XY and 4 shoulder buttons?

The only difference is that the Neogeo controller layout is tilted slightly
Yes, that tilt is the killer on my thumb. That's why I want the two sides to be evened out, made parallel to the "bottom".
I honestly don't believe that the tilt is that bad for you. However, that's not the point I'm driving at. I suggested we recommend the layout in this thread. What's important is how the buttons are placed in relation to each other. It will be up to EvilDragon to decide at what angle it will be tilted.

-God Ginrai

I honestly don't believe that the tilt is that bad for you
And I honestly don't believe that changing it would be that bad for you. We are at an impasse.I have literally zero personal interest in the addition of two buttons, I'm only entertaining the idea because you and others have shown an interest. They could be useful, but I'm getting on just fine without them: it's a potential feature with an unknown amount of use in exchange for a known feature with a definite benefit.

It's pretty obvious that if it were entirely up to ED he would stick with the existing 4 button layout, that's why I'm engaged in the debate trying to find a reasonable compromise that would convince him that 6 buttons is valuable without sacrifice, but if it came down to a vote between adding two buttons vs keeping the A and B buttons parallel to the case I would side 100% with ED on this and just vote to keep the buttons as they are.

I honestly don't believe that the tilt is that bad for you
And I honestly don't believe that changing it would be that bad for you. We are at an impasse.
I never said it was bad for me to tilt the button grouping. That is why I said the point was to agree on the layout of the buttons in relation to each other, and that the angle that the button group sits at can and would be decided by EvilDragon.

-God Ginrai

Right, so bring the left button down a touch and raise the right button up a touch and it's perfect.

Right, so bring the left button down a touch and raise the right button up a touch and it's perfect.
No. That changes the layout. Like I said, I don't mind it being tilted, but you would need to tilt the whole button group. Imagine rotating the group to the left about 10 degrees. I think that would move the buttons into the position you are wishing for.

-God Ginrai

Then the X/Y buttons wouldn't be in a good position.
No, you're rotating it with the X button as the pivot. If you do this, the X (blue) and Y (green) buttons would be parallel w/ the side of the case and the A (pink) and B (red) buttons would be parallel w/ the bottom of the case.

-God Ginrai

6 Button layout isn't a problem for me when I have at least 4 front buttons + 2 shoulders,I  I want play Capcom games its fine to use keyboard buttons too

For those still desperate for 6 gaming buttons in a row, I just looked at my 3DS (non-XL) and noted that its buttons are about half as big as those in the Pandora (that is they're about 30% smaller in each dimension), while the inter-button space is about the same. Thus it might be possible to fit more buttons in to the same space using a similar technique, as it works on the 3DS (although please don't make the buttons like those on my 3DS which have very little travel, an indistinct activation point and they rattle a lot).

And in case anyone missed my question on the last page:

Although with 6 buttons we might be able to mess with that a little (though I don't know what that would do to backwards compatibility - I vaguely rememeber the SDL keybindings have separate buttons A/B/C/D definitions and Home/End/etc definitions, although the two are defined as the same currently
That is, I really dislike the fact the A button is in a non-primary position on the Pandora, as it leads to developers using one of three buttons as their prime button. Are developers using SDL_keycode defines like SDLK_GAMEBUTTON_A etc, so we could mess with those, or are they coding to defines like SDLK_HOME, so that if we move the game button letters around and maintain backwards compatibility, we'd have to move the home/end etc. buttons around too?

For those still desperate for 6 gaming buttons in a row, I just looked at my 3DS (non-XL) and noted that its buttons are about half as big as those in the Pandora (that is they're about 30% smaller in each dimension), while the inter-button space is about the same. Thus it might be possible to fit more buttons in to the same space using a similar technique, as it works on the 3DS (although please don't make the buttons like those on my 3DS which have very little travel, an indistinct activation point and they rattle a lot).
Well, as I said, there should be room even without shrinking the size of the buttons. However, if that needs to be explored, it's a good thing to keep in mind. Thanks for pointing it out.

And in case anyone missed my question on the last page:

Although with 6 buttons we might be able to mess with that a little (though I don't know what that would do to backwards compatibility - I vaguely rememeber the SDL keybindings have separate buttons A/B/C/D definitions and Home/End/etc definitions, although the two are defined as the same currently
That is, I really dislike the fact the A button is in a non-primary position on the Pandora, as it leads to developers using one of three buttons as their prime button. Are developers using SDL_keycode defines like SDLK_GAMEBUTTON_A etc, so we could mess with those, or are they coding to defines like SDLK_HOME, so that if we move the game button letters around and maintain backwards compatibility, we'd have to move the home/end etc. buttons around too?
As far as backwards-compatibility is concerned, I'm sure someone could whip up a quick app that can temporarily change keybindings to something that would work w/ whatever game may have some compatibility problem.

However, that being said, I don't know why any dev would map functions in a game to Home, End, PgDn, and PgUp if there were actual button mappings they can map to in the code.

-God Ginrai

I also would prefer to swap A and B button.

For a Nintendo kid A is on the Right side.

For a Playstation Kid X is on the bottom.

So we would fir the need of both.

I am all for making the buttons a bit smaller and therefore having more space.

I really don't need them as big as they are now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, make them smaller and keep the cross.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there's any point in making them smaller if they will already fit. Let's wait to see what we hear from EvilDragon first before we go trying to make the buttons smaller.

-God Ginrai

Back