3DS vs NGP

Which will you buy?

• Total voters

The 3DS is a little less scary to me. The tagging feature can be prevented, (in theory), by sticking the 3DS in a static bag. I highly doubt that tagging would be enabled during game play, but you never know.
Or with the WiFi kill-switch that's provided next to the power switch, maybe? ;)

...The NGP is just an insane beast. I haven't preordered yet, but there is no rush since a price and release date has not been given. I'm hoping it will release for 299.99 here in the states, but I'm thinking it will be closer to 399.00(maybe even more) Hell, that screen alone has to be worth 300 bucks. It is just GORGEOUS!...

Chris

1297299438Oo6f2unOPN_1_1_l.jpg

The 3ds uses a parallax barrier to achieve its 3d effect. A harware overlay parallax barrier is available for ipod touch and the iphone to get the same 3d effect. Maybe someone will make a parallax barrier for the NGP, and maybe even for the Pandora. If somebody does make a parallax barrier for the NGP, in my opinion, the 3ds would be completely inferior to the NGP.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know since this is off topic I don't know why you have I will stick with my Pandora option. Also Cmon guys PSP2 all the way I'm sick of Nintendo.

It's clear that Sony are still rock hard on their system locked down approach, just look at their reaction to the PS3 situation.

I think that unless you want to jump though a lot of hoops (probably along the lines of never being able to play commercial games) you are not going to be playing any homebrew on the PSP2.

It's clear that Sony are still rock hard on their system locked down approach, just look at their reaction to the PS3 situation.

I think that unless you want to jump though a lot of hoops (probably along the lines of never being able to play commercial games) you are not going to be playing any homebrew on the PSP2.

How is it clear what Sony will be doing for NGP?

I think the NGP will be hacked within a year of its release. Sony has pretty much antagonized hackers all over the internet, who will all be out for blood. Motivation is a powerful thing.

How is it clear what Sony will be doing for NGP?
when theyre suing people over allowing homebrew on their consoles, and demanding all IP addresses from anybody that watched videos of tutorials on how to enable homebrew, you kind of have an idea of what they plan on doing, and how to go about doing it

exhibit a: www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iUvuaChDEg

when theyre suing people over allowing homebrew on their consoles, and demanding all IP addresses from anybody that watched videos of tutorials on how to enable homebrew, you kind of have an idea of what they plan on doing, and how to go about doing it

Yeah, where the method allowing homebrew also allows for piracy. Although they took away other OS, they did still have it there for years.

Having Android on NGP is not at all an impossible move for Sony and that'd allow homebrew.

Yeah, where the method allowing homebrew also allows for piracy. Although they took away other OS, they did still have it there for years.

Having Android on NGP is not at all an impossible move for Sony and that'd allow homebrew.

They took away otherOS because of piracy concerns, I doubt they'd put something similar on their devices ever again. The concern would be that, if a vulnerability was found, they'd get sued again like they are now for removing functionality (if you bought your ps3 to play games on PSN and run otherOS, you'd have to choose...)

As for allowing piracy... allowing piracy is usually MUCH easier than getting homebrew to work, which unfortunately reflects poorly on the hackers (most people either do not understand what homebrew is, or consider it almost useless, and assume the main goal was piracy all along). Hotz gave a talk I attended recently (it was filmed but I don't know if its up anywhere) about embedded security and how they should separate the DRM from security, since pirates are not the ones who usually succeed. I've considered that, perhaps, companies do this intentionally so if anyone wanting to run homebrew could be prosecuted under DMCA, but its probably simpler than that.

Thing is, Hotz is not only being sued re: piracy, but also just plain circumvention, and TOS violation, which would be scary due to the typical 'can be changed without notice' clause.

Its very silly to choose ether at this point. <_< We all know that that both devices will get revisions.

NOW, I WILL BRING UP THIS CRITICAL POINT:
If you are think the ngp will be hack in three months time, you are playing Russian roulette with 5 out of the 6 chambers loaded. Sony is a big, if not the biggest, one willing to keep their device locked down at all costs. Look at the NGP's 3G feature: who is going to stop Sony from doing a forced, down-the-throat, update from anywhere? Better keep the NGP in a block of lead. Additionally, what if Sony locks down the hardware potential? Or you have go as far as authorizing with a server ever time you want to do anything?

The 3DS is a little less scary to me. The tagging feature can be prevented, (in theory), by sticking the 3DS in a static bag. I highly doubt that tagging would be enabled during game play, but you never know.

I would hold your horses for both devices. At least, until home brew actually happens and cannot be dynamically reversed.

Agreed.

Also, I do wonder what other revisions will pop up..

I'm sick and tired of struggling against companies to be able to use my own devices in the way I see fit.

My DS has probably seen more homebrew action (books, games & music) than official games. Maybe I'll change my mind in the future if some must-have titles get released, but for now I have the most awesome handheld I've ever owned: the Pandora.

I won't be getting the NGP at all. The games that appear on Sony systems generally don't interest me. It takes something besides bishounen JRPG characters, blood, big breasts, guns, and over-the-top violence to get my attention.

That said, the 3DS has terrible battery life and I won't be buying one until that problem is rectified.

I can't afford a 250~300€ console because in april I'll have to pay for a 4 slot Neo-Geo MVS with three games
laugh.gif

Let's hope I'll be able to buy a supergun, some arcade buttons and two joysticks to be able to play.

I'll wait until the one that comes out second is out for a year before I decide. I can't see spending over $200 for something that only plays games at the moment, at least with my Pandora I can do more than play games.

Where's the option for both?

I will endeavor to get both at some point, but certainly not on release day.

I was absolutely in love with the 3DS when it was first announced but... then the NGP was announced, and the ONLY problem I had with the PSP was the one nub thing, if I can get legit shooters on my portable device then I must have it. The problem is there's just so much potential; I pray it will be hacked. The battery life on the 3DS is such a disappointment too, 3-6 hours or whatever? That's abysmal for the performance. The NGP ran a port of Metal Gear Solid 4. That. Is. Insane. I'm just so saddened that Sony has gone so ridiculously evil recently.

Back