Buying Decisions: Iphone Vs Pandora

I have the best of both worlds. I got an iPod Touch last october, and I am defiantly getting the pandora. *yippee*

My 2 cents: I recently purchased an Iphone 3G and I love it. I owned an Ipod Touch before hand so I knew what I was getting for the most part already. The Iphone is a decent phone, a wonderful Ipod and the best mobile browser I have ever seen on a hand held device (except the lack of flash).

Now, playing games on the Iphone.....the games either work really well or not at all. That is to say, if the control scheme works well on an Iphone/IpodTouch then it's a real treat. But if the controls do not compliment the game then it's worth crap.

The Pandora on the other hand, has tried and true controls that will make playing games of various types an all around fun experience.

The fact is, I had planned on getting both an Iphone 3G and a Pandora for quite some months. Being an informed consumer I knew that the Iphone 3G was the best phone for me and I know that the Pandora will be the best little convergence device I can spend my money on. I intend on having both in my pockets where ever I go. Together they offer everything that I need.

So long answer short, Get Both!! =-)

I've been pondering the same choice, along with another device thrown in (PSP 3000), so I'll explain my opinions and biases, even though you've already given a decision.

First of all, I am tight with my money. I owned a first gen iphone, and am considering a 3G iPhone, I am also considering a pandora and a psp 3000. In my mind, I can't justify owning more than one as their uses would overlap too much, and I already have a F200.

1. iPhone: great integration of functions and software, plus the apps. Can be jailbroken + icontrolpad for retro games. Excellent mobile browser. However, there is a 2 year commitment and a 30 dollar a month data plan. That is expensive, especially when you consider how much monthly subscriptions for this or that can add up. I don't mind the fee, because I used the features. However, now I have no data plan. I will not pay for it unless I can expect the same experience from the first iphone, which really only the iphone delivers now.

2. Pandora: pricey, but perfect features for retro gaming. Other downside is that there will be few commercial or homebrew games for it, and you can't use cellular data networks. Sure you could tether, but then you're also paying for a cell phone data plan on top of it.

3. PSP: Great price and good selection of commercial games. Good emulation capabilities. Lack of multi-faceted features like the pandora and Iphone have.

I still haven't really decided. I'll most likely sit on my hands on a while and see what develops over the next couple months.

Considering the price:

I live in the euro zone (belgium)

The PSP 3000 costs 200 €
The pandora costs 250 €
The Iphone 3G 8GB will cost 525 € (no sponsors like AT&T over here, lock-in's are illegal in BE, however it works with every sim card)

prices are including 21% VAT, add about 20 € of "recycling taxes" for each device

525 € = 760$ (according to Google when i wrote this post)

Over here it's an easy choice:

If you want AAA games, buy a PSP.
For every other scenario, buy a :pandora1: and a 250 € bluetooth phone

Well first of all I wouldn't get the iphone period because, like most apple products, it's just overhyped and really not the best of its class or "revolutionary".
Considering a device like pandora could be turned into a phone by plugging in a dongle or card, I don't see what benefits any mobile phone has over it, besides form factor... if you're interested in pandora and have no problem using a headset, why bother with "real" phones?

ljones said:
I looked at the openmoko, but I can think of 2 problems. Number one what happens to your existing service, i.e. can I use my old service (e.g. orange, t mobile ,etc ) on my nice new openmoko phone. If you can't how does it work? And number two, the openmoko appears "land locked" so if you buy one in europe it won't work in the USA which kinda kills portability if (say) you went on holiday there!
Yep you're right, if you travel a lot between USA/Europe that can be a problem. There are two versions of the Freerunner a USA and a ROW version.
It will be no problem to use your old service, but the phone is simlock free so if there are problems you can switch easily .

Biggest problem right now is that the firmware of the phone still isn't ready and buggy. Practically still not usable as a daily phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back