2Nd Review Case Should Arrive Soon.

I pre ordered as early as possible so have been waiting a fair while.

The one thing that I think annoys me most is this seeming inability to learn from previous mistakes.

Question...How many times until Chip etc realise that stating an estimated ship/release/manafacture date is a bad bad bad move?
They clearly dont know how long these things(cases/boards/banking) take or really how the industries work! and guess what I am fine with that I knew this going in, and Im waiting fairly happily :) they still have my money I think they are making something special!

but why oh why oh please god why do they keep giving dates when pandora will ship, estimates for how long until MP of cases etc etc etc

Stop guessing and making the guesses public. be honest and say "we dont know when it will be ready, we are waiting on X and Y and Z. X is currently at this stage, Y needs this checking and Z will be at least 3 weeks till we see the first version"

Try dealing in facts not guesses or estimates.

please

@MiniSinisterMinister
I think that your suggestion won't come to fruition. The negative aspects overweight the positive and just for a bit of less moaning it's not worth it. That's just my true opinion.

its true facts are better than guesses as to release dates.open pandora would be best off not giving
them unless sure.On the other hand people would then complain about a lack of info,etc.They are perhaps justifiably catering for our enthusiasm.We can in fact only wait.So thats what we have to do.

Z will be at least 3 weeks till we see the first version

and right there you hit a problem, 3 weeks to the minute from then you will get a rash of "where's our Z" posts, followed a week later by people complaining about lack of communication about Z, polls on Z, people threatening to cancel over Z etc.

face it, OP can't say ANYTHING but what some people will complain, I guess that's why they say as little as possible, I wouldn't want to say much if every time I did there was a riot.

MiniSinisterMinister said:
There are maybe let's say 200 people (including myself) who want their Pandora now and who do not mind small dents, discoloration or the lack of silkscreening. Why don't you just put together a small run comprising serveral hundred units using "test-cases" and ship them to the people who do not want to wait any longer.
Because every electrical product sold in the UK has to have a minimum life (I think it's 12 months) and so for example if the screen hinge started breaking in hundreds of pandoras before the 12 months because it hadn't been tested, then the team would have to pay loads in replacements and/or legal fees.

Last edited by a moderator:
wrath of khan said:
We can in fact only wait.So thats what we have to do.

QFT

I ordered within the first hour of availability.. so my wait is as long as any other. Sure I'm frustrated by the delay.. however it seems to me that at the very start there were no promises about a delivery date and during the entire process the option to opt out and get a refund was available.

I choose to not complain about the wait, as it was clear to me from the outset that there were no promises about a time frame and as a matter of fact, it was clear this was a complex, first time project being attempted by a few people with limited experience in a project like this by those attempting to make it happen. My expectations are a different story, I made my own assumptions and put too much faith in a best guess provided by the OP team. Perhaps a little help of my expectations was provided by some in the OP team who also created and shared their own high expectations, and sometimes spoke in 'vague' terms, but I believe they were being honest in their estimates.

IMO 2 choices exist, I cancel my order and get my $$ back or continue to wait for the finished product, which will be determined 'finished' by the people who designed and built (are building) it. The 3rd option that some people are choosing to take is useless and non-productive (bitching and demanding updates / actions / estimates, ect. I find their self centered perspective and wasted energy entertaining at best and irritating at worst.

This item was never portrayed as a standard purchase of a standard product and it should not be treated as such or expected to follow the same rules / expectations.

Twiitcher

hobbyman II said:
Z will be at least 3 weeks till we see the first version

and right there you hit a problem, 3 weeks to the minute from then you will get a rash of "where's our Z" posts, followed a week later by people complaining about lack of communication about Z, polls on Z, people threatening to cancel over Z etc.

face it, OP can't say ANYTHING but what some people will complain, I guess that's why they say as little as possible, I wouldn't want to say much if every time I did there was a riot.

No that wouldnt happen because by three weeks OP would update to say"Z has been received or Z not receved" like I said If they gave us lots of info but just the actual facts then its gonna be much better.

But they surely should know by now not to give estimates... that before XMAS stuff either seems plain daft, optomistically Naive or a cynical plan to reduce possible cancellations when people may be considering taking money back anf=d buying something else?

Mali explain please why mini sinister's idea wont work. he offers a simple concrete idea, that could very well work, so why dont you do the same. all you said was it wont work. i could write a post like that and anyone else could. mini offers simple , easy to understand.

Thanks mini sinister minister for your post. I am all for it.

I could explain, but I won't. It would just start an argument. The Pandora will ship to all the preorderers when it's ready. There won't be any early half-finished Pandoras going out. No need to discuss the reasons in detail. It would just be a waste of time.

just as I thought mali, you have no explanation, or else you would at least humor us. let me and the others decided what we would like to do, .

mali said:
I could explain, but I won't. It would just start an argument. The Pandora will ship to all the preorderers when it's ready. There won't be any early half-finished Pandoras going out. No need to discuss the reasons in detail. It would just be a waste of time.
Ok, then I'll explain why not.
If they could get smaller runs done, they probably would have. These sample cases are just that: samples. A dozen or so at most, I would imagine. When they're ready to crank out more, the factory is going to do ALL of them. It doesn't make any sense for them to set the existing mould up for a couple hundred, take it down, continue to tweak it, until finally it goes into production and they run the remaining 9800.

That is what was suggested, right? Use the existing mould to make a couple hundred? I may have misunderstood, but if it was, that's why it won't work.

@Jaguar

Let's just think logical.
Pro:
Less moaning
Contra:
fill the list up youself

The benefit is so low that it doesnt make sense to think about it at all, imo.

oh mali, since your privy to info the rest dont have, why do you call them half finished cases? according to the team itself, they were supposedly only a few cosmetic changes and such needed. now your calling them only half finished?whats up with that,?

It is not constructive to nag the team. They are left at the mercy of outside groups. If finger pointing is what some want to do, then flex those digits toward the mould company. It could be the language barrier, but even a farsighted drunkard would know that what is costly shipped from China to Canada is not what Openpandora has been instructing them to send these months. Michael is sure to be tired of handholding them. They are getting closer though.

We are all tired but lets do our part and be supportive and friendly.

Watch this.

thats all well and good, but is mali part of the team? I thought craig and ed,plus mweston were the team. I have them trying to say one thing, and then certain memebrs of the forums acting like they are part of the team.

Jaguar said:
oh mali, since your privy to info the rest dont have, why do you call them half finished cases? according to the team itself, they were supposedly only a few cosmetic changes and such needed. now your calling them only half finished?whats up with that,?
Ok, I see that I need to say something.
Assembly is a complex process. You have to book the factory. It was mentioned that Michael will have to fly to Texas. The boards must be prepared. They would basically have to simulate a full production run by manufacturing those 200 Pandoras. After that they would wait for the finished cases and do it all over again for the other 3800. It would be a _huge_ logistical amount of work and it just doesn't make sense, honestly.

Jaguar said:
thats all well and good, but is mali part of the team? I thought craig and ed,plus mweston were the team. I have them trying to say one thing, and then certain memebrs of the forums acting like they are part of the team.
Sure, I'm no member of the team, but I try to use common sense and I gather any info I can get.

hobbyman II said:

The correct answer to "where's our Z" is "I'm prepared to say that Z will ship later this month."
If someone says that Z is not finished yet ready for mass production you tell them "Who told you that? Your gay lover?!? Z will ship early next month."
If someone threatens to cancel their order for Z remind them that "we're in the 'home stretch' for Z shipment."

If, six to twelve months later, people complain about your communication skills, exclaim that "Every time I say something you guys complain!"

never mind, I could have said that. this isnt a good thread anymore.

Back