2Nd Review Case Should Arrive Soon.

Could well be BackA. Any theory is valid until disproved, but that's what it's all about, being guilty until proven innocent :)

EDIT: recently I saw a youtoob vid about brits getting rich in china (or trying to). I pity the OP team if they face even 10% of the ordeals you have to go through when you're lumped with a not-so-reputable Chinese manufacturer. I used to think "Made in China" was ok if the goods got here faster and cheaper but with all my recent experiences with failing electronic goods "Made in China" for "reputable" world-renowned firms that I used to respect made me do a 180 degree turn.

At least it's only the case. I would hate to return my Pandora for repair after only two moons of luvvin'

WizardStan said:
Mjlink said:
Unless the magical factory can spit out another 10,000 in a day from molds that have sat in storage for 6 months.
If I'm correct, the problem won't be that the moulds have sat in storage for 6 months, it's that they won't be of any use at all anymore, and new moulds will need to be created. Now, could be that because they already did it once, doing it again will be less of an issue. Or maybe they really do need to restart the entire thing from scratch. Let the fear mongering and rumour mill commence!
Well the problems with improper cooling / collapsing in certain areas is being fixed by shaving the mold by hand, so if they make another case from the CAD they're still gonna have to do the shavings (unless they updated the CAD, which I doubt.) So hopefully the molds hold up, because otherwise they probably will have to go through this all over again.

Last edited by a moderator:
rabidpoobear said:
WizardStan said:
Mjlink said:
Unless the magical factory can spit out another 10,000 in a day from molds that have sat in storage for 6 months.
If I'm correct, the problem won't be that the moulds have sat in storage for 6 months, it's that they won't be of any use at all anymore, and new moulds will need to be created. Now, could be that because they already did it once, doing it again will be less of an issue. Or maybe they really do need to restart the entire thing from scratch. Let the fear mongering and rumour mill commence!
Well the problems with improper cooling / collapsing in certain areas is being fixed by shaving the mold by hand, so if they make another case from the CAD they're still gonna have to do the shavings (unless they updated the CAD, which I doubt.) So hopefully the molds hold up, because otherwise they probably will have to go through this all over again.
well, thats why any further fixes takes much more time than previous ones, that due the slower shaving (that i believe is no way done by hand and/or naked eye)
also we have to wait more due that some moulds require some coating or special treatment in order to work properly plus the test runs that have to get scheduled.
if they really F*ck it up they would be on a big big mess because EDM takes forever.

Current status.
Last Updated on Friday, 01 January 2010 10:55
2nd Review Case should arrive soon.

This is looks like mockery.

May be 15 Feb or 15 Mar.
May by 2010 or may be 3010 year
Nobody think about us to give correct informaion

svs-57 said:
Current status.

They already received the 2nd case revision a while back. What we're waiting for now is the 3rd.

Revision 3, should be here today or tommorow! Let's save all the negative/positive comments for wednesday! We should all know by then if there needs to be a "revision 4" case, or if mass production has started. If there needs to be another case, I'm sure to join in on the negative post myself. As I'm sure the Chinese New Year will greatly affect MP and any more test cases! So I'm sure there will be another riot by the end of the week if everything isn't 100%! :p

Chris

svs-57 said:
Current status.

Yeah, and next update:
15/2/2010
cases should arrive very soon
4/6/2010
cases are nearly arrived
7/8/2010
cases arrived but they aren't good
they'll be sent to china again
1/1/2011
cases will arrive soon
21/12/2012
cases didn't arrived enjoy the end of the wor... LOL LOL LOL LOL

What I am trying to wonder is why hasn't other manufacturers tried UMPC+Gaming. Why is Pandora the first one? Everything comes very close to looking like a Pandora, but never gets there. You either have ugly things like the Odroid or just tiny computers using x86. Not only that, but OP and this forum made a wishlist that encompassed everything that would make an awesome handheld. I don't know about all of you guys, but I've had an idea JUST like the Pandora for ages now and no big manufacturer came out with it.

And yet still, even though you see stuff with the latest and greatest Qualcomm or TI stuff, you don't see anything resembling the Pandora. Then I see reports of the iSlate and gaming. How many games translate well to no physical controls? Turn-based RPG's, TD, RTS and puzzle games. Super Monkey Ball does make sense with the accelerometer, but nothing else translate well with that type of control.

Supposedly, MS is to announce a ZunePhone with XBLive *something* either at CTIA or MWC. I do not anticipate MS doing something smart like launching a ZunePhone gaming handheld that can play XBLA games you buy on the 360 and play either-or.

Are we really that small of a group that only OP can fulfill our dream machine? Or is it the margins are too narrow for a bigger company to take a risk? Maybe other companies are just sitting on the sidelines waiting for OP to see how successful they can become before taking a gamble?

I realize this isn't OP's fault that we are waiting right now, but god damn. This Chinese factory is really pissing me off. Luckily, in the real world anger can't materialize into some ungodly destructive force. Otherwise, the Chinese factory would just be a pot-mark right now.

borgqueenx said:
Awww no photos yet :( where are we looking at. Tweets from craig? Forums posts? Or the photobocket account of mr. Weston?
Actually, all of the above! The pics can arrive at any of those spots, but right now don't torture yourself. Normally the packages don't arrive until later, and then Michael has to take the time to assemble(although he may post unassembled pics first). So I would say check around the forums in about 8 more hours!

Chris

I suspect Michael will get the new cases in the next few days. If you critically read craig's 'confirmation' of shipping, he didn't actually confirm they were shipped or even finished at the time.

Sunday, January 17: "Yes we have heard from the factory, and yes the cases should arrive this week with Michael, yes they are supposed to be final with all the tweaks complete, but until we see them and check them, we don't want to say anymore."

"We have heard from the factory" and "the cases should arrive this week" leaves open the possibility that on Friday, January 15, when the cases were supposed to be done, the factory said "we will finish the cases very soon and hopefully you will receive them by the end of the week."

Call me overly skeptical and critical of craig, but after 1.5 years I take nothing for granted in this process. Hopefully they will arrive shortly, and Michael will give them the 'green light.'

Has this twitter post been discussed already?

Craigix on twitter said:
How I wish these cases would arrive!

5:39 AM Jan 19th from web

http://twitter.com/Craigix/status/7945454248

That makes it pretty clear imho that the cases have not arrived yet.

Edit: never mind, I am apparently unable to read dates correctly. Sorry about that. :blush: :wacko:

Lafazar said:

It makes it clear that they hadn't arrived by Jan 19th, yes.

calc84maniac said:
Lafazar said:

It makes it clear that they hadn't arrived by Jan 19th, yes.
It makes clear that they hadn't arrived by Jan 19th at an undisclosed location, yes.

so, while we wait, why not tell how everyones day has been?

mine has been relatively shitty.

girlfriend was in hospital recovering from surgery (scoliosis)
she got back home today, which shouldve been yay, but she arranged to meet a guy from the net while she was in hospital so i feel very depressed.

i will hopefully visit her tomorrow so we can talk about it a bit better than we do over phone.

(for those wondering we "only" live 30 kilometers apart and meet every week, but she was hospitalized in malmo, which is x10 more far away, which also happened to where the other guy lived)

Back