1GHz units, Classic units, repairs and TV-Out Cables (2012-08-24)

Maybe because you are local and small amount were involved.
Entirely possible

I have sending questions and got back after 3 months :\ I think situation is similar to shipping old pre-orders - Craig needs to sale some to have money for a refund.
From my understanding of a post I think ED made, that Craig has enough to refund all pre-orders, and it certainly sounds like Craig would much prefer that option, so I'm sure the only delays on that would probably be with email backlogs or something?

http://boards.openpa...ck/#entry175027

Of course, most of this is speculation based on things I've read on the forums.

Thanks for pointing to the Craig's post. Looks interesting and I hope it was only email backlog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. In the first post (when Craig says that "we have no other source of income" or something similar), he is talking about the OP company, and why the price of the pandora is as high as it is. It has no other sources of income. He is replying to this bit:

Companies often sell very large quantities of products, and use several tricks to either make sure that people will replace their products sooner rather than later (no more software updates, no more service or spare parts, built-in batteries, components that age quickly, etc.), or to make sure that people will give them money even after the product was bought (the obvious examples: videogame consoles, razors, etc.). No one really wants these practices (including many of the companies!), yet many people support them anyway and waste a lot of money by buying thoughtlessly.

The Pandora is a device that both is designed to be usable for more than two years (unlike, for instance, cell phones, which users typically replace quite frequently) and does not come with follow-up costs built-in (...yet!). The Pandora /might/ have been able to be a 'cheap' device hadn't there been so many problems, but as a matter of fact there have been a lot of problems that have (and still continue to) cost quite a bit of resources.

That really must be obvious if you read anything other than just the sentence " we have no source of extra income.", mustn't it?

​In the second post, he is referring to his personal economy. Simple as that. And with that, I'd respectfully suggest that jus1982b needs to check his facts before jumping to conclusions. And you.

"Current status" page was updated few days ago, it seems. And on the basis of that, there's a total of about 400 non-upgraded orders still waiting from batch1&2.

The latest Craig's original pre-order shipment that I can find a record of is from the 8th of June, with 01/10/2008 at 21:11 as the original order date and time. The next known order is from 21:54, and apparently he (FuzzySocks) is still waiting. He's also been active Today, and he has also stated that he will certainly post when he gets his shipping mail and/or delivery.

If someone has more accurate/current info, then please, do chime in...

And no no no, the $20,000 mentioned in one of the links isn't enough to cover ALL the refunds. It seems it's just a safety deposit for the refunds in general. Great majority of those 400 old orders are from Craig's queue (I think I remember ED saying he had 75 remaining at some point?). Let's say it's 300 units, at $330 a piece. That's almost $100,000 in total. So the $20,000 can only cover one fifth in case all 300 asked for a refund. So $20,000 equals to about 60 refunds.

I didn't re-read the quoted message, I just remembered the post. I'm man enough to admit I got it wrong, I even commented on my post that I might have misunderstood the post, and posted the link for that very reason. It's also why I posted the counter link when I found something to the contrary.

LOL your funny clearly your having a bad to spat such ignorance yes I am a new member cause I find forms to be rather dumb in this sence others are a good source of info. new to open source not so much.

I didn't re-read the quoted message, I just remembered the post. I'm man enough to admit I got it wrong, I even commented on my post that I might have misunderstood the post, and posted the link for that very reason. It's also why I posted the counter link when I found something to the contrary.

Yep, I know. It sounded more harsh than I meant. Should have put a smiley on the end - Sorry :)

jus1982b, though, still is behaving rather like his name should be jus1999b, or something.

Yep, I know. It sounded more harsh than I meant. Should have put a smiley on the end - Sorry :)
Tis fine :)

I know it's not good to spread false information, so where possible, I'll always try to link to the source, so people can correct me on mistakes

they haven't died of starvation and still have house's in witch they live, any sense able person would have been like lets do this and make tones of money! i'm sure there by no means millionaires yet but they are not operating a loss. I do not know they haven published any earnings and loss statements but are still buying ever more expensive (yet not really expensive chips(the 1ghz barrier was broken ages ago)... my point is how the hell does anyone know aside some them? oh you know them and hang out with them? no you have a job and a life right? lol be serious.

If I understand your broken English correctly, you are accusing the Open Pandora team, of lying to the public about the financial state of their business? Is that it?

I'd suggest you do the following things before you submit another one of these vacuous gems into the database:

A. Learn to punctuate, spell, and use some proper grammar. Note I said some, I certainly don't expect perfection from you the first time around. And perhaps English isn't your first language, but you need some practice before you go any further here I think.

B. Read about the investors and how the Rebirth began. This will inform you more on how a business works and why they are struggling BUT STILL making progress.

C. Kindly shut your piehole until you accomplish A and B. Might be awhile, but you got time. We are certainly in no hurry to hear from you again. ;)

@aatu, thank you for getting all that info.

ED posted he had 75 pre-orders left, but I believe he then said that was just the Batch1 ones, and in total he actually had 175 pre-orders.

If that's the case then that only leave 225 with Craig, which isn't a big difference between the two.

but you got time. We are certainly in no hurry to hear from you again. ;)

and it looks like we'll linger on this forum a few more month (year?) on this forum waiting for our pandora anyway...

This is such a non sequitur from my post, I am beyond words. Please don't use my posts as a springboard for... whatever it is your purpose was here.

Thanks!

I think elwing is just trying to calm down the conversation. And I think it's a good idea, too.

You do come off as a little bit ... blunt sometimes, and it can stir things up a little, especially when the discussion is already getting a little heated up.

PS. I do know that occasionally I'm quite blunt, too.

but you got time. We are certainly in no hurry to hear from you again. ;)

and it looks like we'll linger on this forum a few more month (year?) on this forum waiting for our pandora anyway...

This is such a non sequitur from my post, I am beyond words. Please don't use my posts as a springboard for... whatever it is your purpose was here.

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure you wavered that right when you quoted others.

Oi, you settle down, too.

Are you intentionally trying to rile him up?

I'm not a mod, but let's try to stay in the topic, please.

(actually, why am I even trying to calm things down?)

I think elwing is just trying to calm down the conversation. And I think it's a good idea, too.

You do come off as a little bit ... blunt sometimes, and it can stir things up a little, especially when the discussion is already getting a little heated up.

PS. I do know that occasionally I'm quite blunt, too.

I disagree, elwing was clearly complaining.

I can be dickish yes, but it's mainly to trolls and people that post without thinking it through first. What jus1982b was suggesting was that OPT isn't telling the whole story about their finances and so therefore these news threads are lies, which is so absurd and offensive that I myself am enraged, and I don't even contribute anything aside from a little funding. If I were coding for Pandora I'd probably get banned for the furious flames I'd unleash on him.

Wow cause that what i said, I said we really don't know and that the pandora did lose money at first but now is probably making money. they don't have to disclose anything and for anyone to make any assumptions about it is foolish even mine is but I couldn't imagine anyone going into business to lose money to the degree your talking about. that's what makes options like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink ;) oh and feel free to make fun of my spelling and grammar its cool.

when for every three Pandora they sell, they send out one of the original pre-orders. likely they stand to make around 100$ a Pandora once they finish with the pre-orders. ( I read the difference between the old and new Pandora price was like 300US$? some one correct me if I am wrong{I almost certainly am [nesting brackets is fun]}). Since there are still pre-orders, they are likely not making any money.

I really just can't understand the problem if them make or not money and how much... I mean, there's a product, it has a price, you choose if its worth it or not...

I hated waiting 2 years to have it, and I have been fooled by all the people I told of this for the entire time, but for all the waiting time and still for now it is THE ONLY product that I know of that is really near to be considered the best device ever for me !!

I payed the upgrade to have it in less time, but for some months I deliberately waited to do so cause I was seeing too much issues in the delivered devices... now that I'm using it, without all the issues of the previous versions, thanks to the waiting time, I'm happy to have done it.

All the people still waiting will receive a device better than mine with less money... I mean, anyone can be angry for something

The Apple things for example are REALLY F*****G overpriced, but people buy them and are happy... never seen someone with those products angry with the Apple cause they make big money...

So it is simple to choose what to do:

It is worth it ?

--- YES :

- I can wait, and it will be better and better

- I can upgrade, and receive it in less time

--- NO:

- I can ask the money back and buy something else

All you have to think is "What can this device do for me that other devices don't ?"

Back