12/11/12/11 keys per row instead of 11/12/11/12

_wb_

Microbe
Staff member
The current prototypes have 11 keys on the number row, then 12 keys on the next row, then 11 again and 12 again.

Here's an idea: why not organize the keys in a different way: first 12 keys, then 11, then 12 again, then 11 again.

I realize that this requires PCB changes and case/keymat changes. It's the exact same amount of keys though (basically you just take the top row and put it at the bottom), so I see no reason why it would not be possible.

There are some advantages to this:

• On a normal keyboard (for finger typing), your index fingers are at F and J, so the center is between G and H. In our simplified half-key staggering, that means Y and B are the keys that are "supposed" to be in the center. This is not possible if the QWERTY row has 12 keys.
  • In the current layout, we either have "left-aligned" QWERTY, which leaves room for P+1 and L+2 keys (useful for e.g. Ü Ö Ä), but causes the number row to be incorrectly aligned with the letter rows (1 instead of 2 between Q and W), or a so-called "centered" QWERTY row (which is not actually centered), which leaves no room for L+2. We get the advantages of both with my proposal.
  • In the current layout, the F-keys are either on the number row (which is nice for F1-F10, but gives a problem for F11 and F12 since there is no room for both of them), or they're on the QWERTY row (which makes it possible to put them all in a row, but doesn't look very nice)

Here are some examples of what could be done with a 12/11/12/11 layout:

Something close to US-QWERTY: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/a09fffd9549821ea12ca35794a068973

Something close to a real German keyboard: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/807d00649222e2f5d9c42cead9185725

I think it looks pretty great.  New stuff, but I like getting used to that as long as it seems to make sense.  I would rather the space bar be wider though.

Something close to a real German keyboard:
As opposed to a fake one?

Its better for the Frow, its worse for punctuation efficiency.

I added a 2cm object to the left side of the pandora to make the alignment uneven. Took 5 seconds to adjust to touch-typing again.

I dont have any notches on my "middle" keys on the desktop, but then again i have L+2.

Is it a big deal for someone?  Could it be explained so that i understand?

Also, can we please consistently use ← for backspace?  I cant remember having ever seen a keyboard without it. Prove me wrong.

Does http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/f44db21c62efa4deaec56e7b21793bd6  solve the issue?

The idea is to put things most central to the thumbs, as they swing in a windsheild-wiper area by default.  The right resembles a numpad and has a bonus with placement of enter.

There are keys left over for symbols, think i counted 26 or 28 possible spots, but then again its probably going to look horrid with all those.

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point, no major changes like this can be made to the PCB anymore.

Besides, the number of keys on each row was chosen to match with the pegs, so we couldn't even really change those.

Besides, the number of keys on each row was chosen to match with the pegs, so we couldn't even really change those.
OK, thanks for the quick response. Too bad. But I guess we can also make something nice out of what we have now :)

Just to be clear then - is there is a double-wide key on the lower right that will remain so.?.  (Space bar).

Just to be clear then - is there is a double-wide key on the lower right that will remain so.?.  (Space bar).
As I understand it the single wide space only requires a change to the case (add another vertical piece) and split the bar into 2 keys on the keymat.  These seem like simple changes to make since the keymat and case have not been finalised, to my knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back