1 Year Ago Today.....

LastPucho said:
migo said:
Blah, blah, blah

Er... This is a Pandora forum... if you don't like it nor want it... why waste so much time posting all those words? :rolleyes:

He's leveling up for Troll EXP.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Nation.A.List said:
Yes, but your argument is a bit like saying "the Ferrari XXX is not the best car in the world, because the Porche ZZZ has larger wheels and the Aston Martin AAA has a larger rear windscreen". Even if the Pandoras' main components have been matched (in isolation) on other devices, it's still the best device with all the necessary components that make it, "The most powerful gaming handheld there is"

Perfect phrasing!

this post, and the limit on the number of quoted blocks in a post, have saved us all from one of my long "book-in-a-post" efforts. although I was a bit more amicable and agreeable with the chap (I see some validity in what he says) there still isn't anything like it out there.

Nation.A.List said:
Yes, but your argument is a bit like saying "the Ferrari XXX is not the best car in the world, because the Porche ZZZ has larger wheels and the Aston Martin AAA has a larger rear windscreen". Even if the Pandoras' main components have been matched (in isolation) on other devices, it's still the best device with all the necessary components that make it, "The most powerful gaming handheld there is"

That's stretching the definition. Featureful maybe, but by no means powerful. Framing it the way you want to allows claiming the Wii is the most powerful gaming console because of the motion controls, as the PS3 motion controls are less developed. Not to mention some of the features on the Pandora are tits on a bull (keyboard) and that feature gets in the way of a better placement of the analog sticks (where the keyboard is now).

Poem58 said:
It has a whopping 2 buttons!?, 1/3 the battery?, 2/3 the processing Mhz, 1/2 the RAM and NAND and costs $379 or $49 dollars MORE than the Pandora!? Seeing as how I am looking for a gaming machine/computer, and don't need a phone contract either to have that, I made the right choice in choosing the Pandora.

The claim was that the Pandora was open, and that's the only reason for getting it. I was pointing out that if openness was the reason, there are already devices out there.

kuru said:
migo:
No UMTS on the Pandora? Those who want it will get a USB stick for that or pair it to their phone.

USB stick is unwieldy, and pairing to a phone just means you'll sapp the battery life of both quicker. Not a really practical solution.

It's all about the all-in-one power in your pocket. And if you don't see the advantages, why stay and argue?

Pairing with a phone or having to get a USB stick isn't all in one power in your pocket.

migo said:
Nation.A.List said:

That's stretching the definition. Featureful maybe, but by no means powerful. Framing it the way you want to allows claiming the Wii is the most powerful gaming console because of the motion controls, as the PS3 motion controls are less developed. Not to mention some of the features on the Pandora are tits on a bull (keyboard) and that feature gets in the way of a better placement of the analog sticks (where the keyboard is now).

First of all, you're framing it in your own way, too. Your example assumes that he compares one feature and determines ability based on that. If the Wii had tons of other useful features that the PS3 didn't have, then it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to say it is more powerful. Remember, in the English language, there are multiple definitions for the same words.

As for the comment about the keyboard. The keyboard exists because it would be useful for PC related emulation and processing, of which the Pandora can do both. Also, it does no good to move the analog sticks down on a rectangular prism, it is by no means "better placement". You are used to the Playstation controller where they move them down, which is great placement when you have an ergonomic resting place for your hands, of such no handheld to date has ever had.

Now go troll somewhere else.

-God Ginrai

migo said:
The claim was that the Pandora was open, and that's the only reason for getting it. I was pointing out that if openness was the reason, there are already devices out there.

Uah? Who acctually said that? Even if that's what it looked like someone said I'm sure that even the most hardline zealots wouldn't buy something ONLY because it was open. Because that would be all kinds of dumb.

troll.png

I'm pretty sure there is a clause somewhere that states, "If the Pandora isn't delivered within one year of it's original pre-order, then everyone will go completely insane on the 366th day."

Pre-ordering the Pandora was a CURSE!

Thankfully the curse will be broken when the device actually ships, however there is also the "Two Months" clause...

God Ginrai said:
First of all, you're framing it in your own way, too. Your example assumes that he compares one feature and determines ability based on that. If the Wii had tons of other useful features that the PS3 didn't have, then it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to say it is more powerful. Remember, in the English language, there are multiple definitions for the same words.

If you're bringing in useful features, you can knock off the keyboard from the list on the Pandora.

As for the comment about the keyboard. The keyboard exists because it would be useful for PC related emulation and processing, of which the Pandora can do both.

Except it wouldn't be. If you have no time limit for typing sentences then a thumb board works, but PC games assume you'll be playing with all your fingers at the same time, and you can't physically do that with the Pandora. You're not going to play Doom on the Pandora using the keyboard, you're going to use some configuration similar to other console ports of it. There's no way you're playing Mech Warrior or Star Craft either. The controls aren't the same, even though both are a keyboard.

Also, it does no good to move the analog sticks down on a rectangular prism, it is by no means "better placement". You are used to the Playstation controller where they move them down, which is great placement when you have an ergonomic resting place for your hands, of such no handheld to date has ever had.

I have small hands, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'd be stretching to reach the analog sticks on the Pandora, I wouldn't be if they had been moved down.

Exophase said:
migo said:

Uah? Who acctually said that? Even if that's what it looked like someone said I'm sure that even the most hardline zealots wouldn't buy something ONLY because it was open. Because that would be all kinds of dumb.

I was pointing that out to show that people weren't really going for the Pandora because it was open. If openness were key, they'd be getting other devices. Clearly it's the gaming features, and the openness is a nice bonus.

GuchaRU said:
Massive said:
For me it was 1 year ago yesterday.
Still really looking forward to this piece of kit.
lucky you :)

for me it was like 2+ years of waiting! :)
I even graduate from college last year, AND I hoped that I can show pandora to my friends back then...
well... anyway I hope I can finally get my pandora THIS year as christmas present :) ))

Sorry I thought we were talking about the pre-order ;)

The wait, as one forum member has already said (can't remember who or where), has been about 20 or so years ;)

migo said:
God Ginrai said:

If you're bringing in useful features, you can knock off the keyboard from the list on the Pandora.

As for the comment about the keyboard. The keyboard exists because it would be useful for PC related emulation and processing, of which the Pandora can do both.

Except it wouldn't be. If you have no time limit for typing sentences then a thumb board works, but PC games assume you'll be playing with all your fingers at the same time, and you can't physically do that with the Pandora. You're not going to play Doom on the Pandora using the keyboard, you're going to use some configuration similar to other console ports of it. There's no way you're playing Mech Warrior or Star Craft either. The controls aren't the same, even though both are a keyboard.

Also, it does no good to move the analog sticks down on a rectangular prism, it is by no means "better placement". You are used to the Playstation controller where they move them down, which is great placement when you have an ergonomic resting place for your hands, of such no handheld to date has ever had.

I have small hands, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'd be stretching to reach the analog sticks on the Pandora, I wouldn't be if they had been moved down.

I've gotta say, most of your comments so far have been quite ignorant.

First off, the keyboard is a very useful addition. There are no games that one would play via PC emulation that require fast and precise use of the keyboard. The only games that require that are FPS games, and those would use the analog sticks and game buttons. That aside, most worthwhile FPS games for PC would just be ported over (as there are few FPS games that are old enough to be emulated but aren't portable). There are many old systems that used keyboards though (Amiga, Spectrum, C64, BBC Micro, etc.) that require keyboards, and having a physical keyboard is MUCH better than a virtual/on-screen one. Also, as this is a UMPC (or whatever acronym you choose to use) as well as a gaming handheld, a keyboard is important for various desktop-type tasks (web browsing, writing code on the go, etc.).

Second, you have NO way of knowing that you won't be able to reach the analog sticks. You might want to wait until you've held a Pandora or read a review before making such an unfounded claim.

Think before you post? Thanks.

migo said:

Hold a Nintendo DS in your hands. If your thumbs can reach the center of the bottom screen, you'll be able to reach the analog sticks.

i really dont know who this guy is trying to convince other than himself. if thumbpads were useless people wouldnt buy blackberrys, phones with slideoutkeyboards, etc, etc and we all know they do so the point is complete nonsense. migo, honestly, why are you here?

Vorporeal said:
First off, the keyboard is a very useful addition. There are no games that one would play via PC emulation that require fast and precise use of the keyboard.

Which limits you to what games? I mean there are turn based strategy games which use mostly just the mouse, but other than that...

The only games that require that are FPS games, and those would use the analog sticks and game buttons.

And RTS games. And RPGs. I've got a harder time thinking of games I've played with the keyboard that don't need access to all my fingers at the same time than ones I could make do without.

Also, as this is a UMPC (or whatever acronym you choose to use) as well as a gaming handheld, a keyboard is important for various desktop-type tasks (web browsing, writing code on the go, etc.).

And this is where you get into trying to cram too much into one device. Web browsing isn't much use without at least an EDGE radio, and I can't think of anyone who would want to write code with just their thumbs on a small screen....

Second, you have NO way of knowing that you won't be able to reach the analog sticks. You might want to wait until you've held a Pandora or read a review before making such an unfounded claim.

Yeah I do, the dimensions were released ages ago. I made a cardboard cut-out as one of the devs suggested and it wasn't comfortable.

Think before you post? Thanks.

Take your own advice.

Yigguth said:
Hold a Nintendo DS in your hands. If your thumbs can reach the center of the bottom screen, you'll be able to reach the analog sticks.

I can't even reach the side of the touch screen comfortably for Metroid Prime Hunters. I was developing a cramp within minutes, and that's just getting to the corner of it, let alone the centre.

RenegadeChic said:
i really dont know who this guy is trying to convince other than himself. if thumbpads were useless people wouldnt buy blackberrys, phones with slideoutkeyboards, etc, etc and we all know they do so the point is complete nonsense. migo, honestly, why are you here?

Nobody plays games on these slide out keyboards. I installed Doom on my E62 and it sucked horribly. The keyboards are there because they're a step up from T9, not because they're remotely good for gaming. I've had a couple phones with thumbboards. I know what they're good for, and for gaming they're utterly atrocious.

migo said:
RenegadeChic said:

Nobody plays games on these slide out keyboards. I installed Doom on my E62 and it sucked horribly. The keyboards are there because they're a step up from T9, not because they're remotely good for gaming. I've had a couple phones with thumbboards. I know what they're good for, and for gaming they're utterly atrocious.
no you imbecile. we are talking about the pandora, which has gaming controls already yet you keep saying that the keyboard is stupid and redundant. i was trying to say that in situations where the keyboard is used for things other than gaming, which is evidently the use on the pandora, it will be used like those on blackberries and slide out keyboards. therefore not useless. on the pandora you dont need to play them on the keyboard because we have gaming controls.

Ha, How do you know someone doesn't have a Pandora?

When they argue about how they are 'supposed' to play with it...

No offense, but this is the lamest discussion I've seen in a while (just about as lame as that joke)... WHO CARES?! Any one person is going to play how they see fit... Case closed...

migo said:
The only games that require that are FPS games, and those would use the analog sticks and game buttons.

And RTS games. And RPGs. I've got a harder time thinking of games I've played with the keyboard that don't need access to all my fingers at the same time than ones I could make do without.

Anyone who plays RTS games (or RPGs) on a serious enough level to need quick access to keyboard shortcuts wouldn't even consider trying it on a handheld device - many of them complain when playing on certain desktop keyboards. Nobody's going to play StarCraft at high-speeds on any handheld device. For the rest of us who would just play it (or most RPGs) at a normal pace, the touchscreen is a perfectly good input device. The keys are still accessible for certain useful shortcuts (I for inventory, C for character sheet, etc.). (I don't know any StarCraft key shortcuts, as I don't really play SC.)

EDIT: When I said "require", I MEANT "require". FPS games need the keyboard so that you can control character motion, because the mouse only controls viewing angle. For any RPG/RTS that I've ever played, it's fully playable with just a mouse. StarCraft worked decently on the N64, and that didn't have anything remotely close to a keyboard.

migo said:
*snip*
We get it! The Pandora isn't ideal for you. It won't be for everyone. It should be obvious by now that a lot of the "problems" (such as keyboard) that you keep talking about are, indeed, very useful features to others. I don't know who you are trying to convince, or why others are trying to convince you of the opposite, but I humbly request that you stop and part ways; there is no conclusion to this debate you've got going on.

edit for clarification

I skipped most of this. Has he answered "Why stay and argue?" yet?

Edit: Coming to think of it..
Reminds me of Sergeant Vimes: Where's the money in it?

kuru said:
I skipped most of this. Did he answer "Why stay and argue?" yet?

Edit: Coming to think of it..
Reminds me of Sergeant Vimes: Where's the money in it?

No. I did respond to that question noting that he argues because he is a troll, however.

-God Ginrai

Back