Zx-81 Appreciation Thread :)

satanic virus

Website
Visit site
Juat a bit of respect for zx-81 for starting to port some of his great work over to Dingoo.

He has so many (and hopefully even more to come ;)) it's just easier to say thanks in a single thread rather than posting in each individual topic!

Of course, thanks to all other devs too :)

His emulators are fantastic, the menu structure is well thought and the speed is incredible, I'm really looking forward to his Atari 8 Bit Emulator.

I like ZX81's Dingux Write! The only Dingoo app that supports direct input on the Dingoo. But I cannot seem to get used to its virtual keyboard that resembles the sort of input on a mobile telephone. I's not qwerty. Will there ever be a full qwerty keyboard for Dingux Write? Or is that to complicated to add to this great app?

Keep up the good work ZX81! :)

P.S. Back in the days I tried programming on the Sinclair ZX81. Aaaarghhh. Hi hi. ;)

Many thanks :). I port them also for me, because i like dingux running on my dingoo. The boot takes few seconds, a nice dmenu / xmb, porting apps on dingux is a real pleasure.

Meneer Jansen said:
I like ZX81's Dingux Write! The only Dingoo app that supports direct input on the Dingoo. But I cannot seem to get used to its virtual keyboard that resembles the sort of input on a mobile telephone. I's not qwerty. Will there ever be a full qwerty keyboard for Dingux Write? Or is that to complicated to add to this great app?

It's very simple. You just have to modify the small keyboard images presents in the graphics folder and then to modify the danzeff.c file accordingly.
If you do it, i will be pleased to integrate your new keyboard in a future release ;)

Meneer Jansen said:
P.S. Back in the days I tried programming on the Sinclair ZX81. Aaaarghhh. Hi hi. ;)

So did i, with this #($#! of 16k memory card, that reboots my Zx everytime i touched it by inadvertence ...

Last edited by a moderator:
zx-81 said:
Many thanks :) . I port them also for me, because i like dingux running on my dingoo. The boot takes few seconds, a nice dmenu / xmb, porting apps on dingux is a real pleasure.

Hi zx-81, glad you saw this thread. Hope many others show their appreciation to you.

Everyone, you can donate to zx-81 if you like at:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=61Z78vcR3ug185sqeAGr1ceMzVqxXzC3fGCuwzVST3s-WAbUZDyFxFRNp3i&dispatch=50a222a57771920b6a3d7b606239e4d529b525e0b7e69bf0224adecfb0124e9b833248354cf50881b500d37e944d21e525ac7f200bc6a344

I just gave a small donation mainly for his PC Engine and Amstrad CPC ports which are favourites of mine :)

Dear ZX81,

Thannk you for your kind replay about Dingux Write's keyboard. I browsed the applications folders and found the pictures you mentioned. However, I did not fing the file called "danzeff.c". I think that's one of the source code files. Alas, I cannot download the source code of Write. I get an error message: I think you accidentally forgot to place the zip file on your website. ;)

Anyway, I'm not that good of a programmer and I think the danzeff.c file is in C code? And I'm afraid that "converting" Write to have a full qwerty keyboard that pops up after pressing start instead of the smaller one it has now might be a bit to much of challenge for me. But I'm willing to give it a try. I might succeed if the only thing I have to do is finding a nice jpg of a keyboard and modifying danzeff.c. :)

P.S. Is it as easy to compile the source as on a Linux machine? That is: "./configure; make; make install"?

Meneer Jansen said:
Dear ZX81,

Thannk you for your kind replay about Dingux Write's keyboard. I browsed the applications folders and found the pictures you mentioned. However, I did not fing the file called "danzeff.c". I think that's one of the source code files. Alas, I cannot download the source code of Write. I get an error message: I think you accidentally forgot to place the zip file on your website. ;)

Yes, the link was broken. it's fixed now.

Meneer Jansen said:
Anyway, I'm not that good of a programmer and I think the danzeff.c file is in C code? And I'm afraid that "converting" Write to have a full qwerty keyboard that pops up after pressing start instead of the smaller one it has now might be a bit to much of challenge for me. But I'm willing to give it a try. I might succeed if the only thing I have to do is finding a nice jpg of a keyboard and modifying danzeff.c. :)

You're right it won't be so easy to do. Danzeff keyboard uses 9 squares with 4 characters on each square. The four characters are selectable by the four keys X,Y,A,B of the Dingoo. If you want to put a qwerty keyboard you have to rewrite all danzeff.c because it won't be possible to use it with a keyboard with 80 keys.

Meneer Jansen said:
P.S. Is it as easy to compile the source as on a Linux machine? That is: "./configure; make; make install"?

You will need to modify the makefile to specify the proper path depending on your installation. There is no configure stuff but only a simple makefile.

EDIT: On simple thing you can do is just to modify the order of the characters of existing danzeff keyboard to something that fits your need ;)

zx-81 said:
You will need to modify the makefile to specify the proper path depending on your installation. There is no configure stuff but only a simple makefile.
I thake it that I need something more than only a PC with a running Linux installation? I cannot compile stuff for mipsel devices, which the Dingoo is if I'm not mistaken... Is there a tutorial on how to install stuff to compile for Dingoo and how to actually compile?

Meneer Jansen said:
Is there a tutorial on how to install stuff to compile for Dingoo and how to actually compile?

It will not only be compiling and using for the Dingoo. I don't think you can avoid programming. You will need to configure key input if you want to use any program.

quadomatic said:
Thanks for all the hard work. Everything works real well.

Dingux-Hugo runs real well. Are you planning on adding cd support?

Thanks!

cd support could be part of the next release, but without audio track. Dingoo won't be able to decode mp3 tracks while emulating the rest of the game.
(May be with simple .wav tracks ?)

b_o_b said:
Meneer Jansen said:
Is there a tutorial on how to install stuff to compile for Dingoo and how to actually compile?

It will not only be compiling and using for the Dingoo. I don't think you can avoid programming. You will need to configure key input if you want to use any program.

I was thinking more to something like this (just a danzeff keyboard remapping for qwerty addicts, so no need to program anything ) :

---> use fixed font to see what i mean :

w t o
q e r y i p
? . !

s g k
a d f h j l
" spc '

x b ,
z c v n m .
- = ;

Then you modify danzeff.c tables, you re-compile and that's done !

thanx so very much for all your work on dingoo! =))

i still hope there will be a better NES emulator on the dingoo ;)

kepp up the great work!! :)

Thanks for the 7800 Emu Zx, just made a little donation, for your hard work.

Chris23235

zx-81 said:
quadomatic said:

Thanks!

cd support could be part of the next release, but without audio track. Dingoo won't be able to decode mp3 tracks while emulating the rest of the game.

Someone mentioned using ogg before but I don't know whether decoding that is any easier than mp3.

quadomatic said:
zx-81 said:
quadomatic said:

Thanks!

Someone mentioned using ogg before but I don't know whether decoding that is any easier than mp3.

Not really. FLAC is quicker than OGG or MP3 but WAV is still fastest as it basically doesn't need to be decoded at all.

zx-81 said:
I was thinking more to something like this (just a danzeff keyboard remapping for qwerty addicts, so no need to program anything ) :

---> use fixed font to see what i mean :

w t o
q e r y i p
? . !

s g k
a d f h j l
" spc '

x b ,
z c v n m .
- = ;

Then you modify danzeff.c tables, you re-compile and that's done !
Indeed, that is what I meant. Thanks for the tip. :) I've started to make an alternative qwerty keyboard PNG picture that is based on the one included in Dinux-Write. But I am very bad in using The Gimp. Ha ha. So it looks so ugly, that I am ashamed to show it here... And I have to make multiple ones: for the capitols etc. Editing the danzeff.c file won't be a hard as I thought. But how do I compile the modified source code to the actual application w/ the makefile? I'd like to test if my ugly attempts to make a Dingoo-Write qwerty keyboard works...

Beste regards, Jansen

P.S. Don't laugh, this is what it looks like:

Back