Gp2x-msx: Msx Emulator For Gp2x V1.0.4

zx-81

Certified Guru
Website
zx81.zx81.free.fr
gp2xmsx-snap-v1.0.4.jpg

Hi All,

fMSX is a famous emulator of the MSX, MSX2, and MSX2+ 8bit home computers.
It runs MSX/MSX2/MSX2+ software on many different platforms including Windows and Unix.
See http://fms.komkon.org/fMSX/ for further informations.

It has been first written by Marat Fayzullin, and later Vincent van Dam ported it on SDL.

GP2X-MSX is a port on GP2X of the version 2.7.0.40 of fMSX-SDL
from Vincent van Dam that i had previously ported to PSP.

What's new in this version ?

- Huge speed improvements !
- New graphics
- Display and save thumbnail images for each save state
- Add a simple intro splash screen
- Support iso8859-1 fonts in print text functions
(might be useful to translate menus in german, french ...)
- Bug fix and code cleaning

How to use it ? Everything is in the README.txt file.

You can download it on my blog :
zx-81's blog

It's distributed under Marat Fayzullin's license for the original MSX part,
and under GNU license for all the GP2X part.

** UPDATE 9/23/2007 ** I've uploaded a new version to fix a bug (gp2x-msx crash when changing the ram size in the default settings). Thanks to 7th-son for his feedback.

Enjoy,

Zx.

Great :D

It good to hear off you zx-81 :D

Any plans to update c16 plus 4?

I love your emu's they all have a wonderful front end.

Thanks for this and keep up the good work.

For the moment i'm working on PSP version of my emulator port (mainly to make them work on the new PSP SLim). But after, why not spending a little time on all my gp2x ports :)

Here some Top Games i always like to play at anytime on the msx Emu ^^

Metal Gear 1 and 2 (solid snake)
Nemesis 1, 2, 3
Firehawk (Thexder 2) ,
Knightmare 1 , 2 (Maze of Galious) , 3 (Shalom)
SD Snatcher ^^

Big ThnX for this Great release ZX-81

Thanks zx-81! Although I play a lot of emu's, the MSX and Commodore C-16 are the only systems I ever owned as a kid so this emu is special to me ;-)

rememberthe8bit: I liked HERO and King's Valley back then and they're still fun now!

euro48k said:
thankyou zx-81
i thought you left us alone :)
Yes, it was a long time :( ... I've to say that i like to develop wifi stuff, such as msn / irc / ssh clients, and unfortunatelly gp2x has no wifi capabilities, but psp yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
zx-81 said:
euro48k said:
thankyou zx-81
i thought you left us alone :)
Yes, it was a long time :( ... I've to say that i like to develop wifi stuff, such as msn / irc / ssh clients, and unfortunatelly gp2x has no wifi capabilities, but psp yes.

Thanks zx-81. Good to see you around :)

slaanesh said:
@zx-81:

Just wondering how the speed ups were achieved? Is it a generic speed up which can be used on your other emulators or is it specific to this MSX port?

If you want the full story :

I had first ported this emulator to PSP, and using a cpu at 333Mhz it was fast enough so i didn't really take care of speed. Months later someone else ported fMSX on PSP, which was 2x faster than mine. Having a look on my fMSX code i reallized that i was creating a video frame as i was on a PC with high resolution (which the default in the original fMSX PC version). So i only change the default resolution to low res, and the speed was 2x ! So it's more a bug fix than a real improvement. And then i fixed this issue also on the gp2x version.

zx-81 said:
slaanesh said:
@zx-81:

Just wondering how the speed ups were achieved? Is it a generic speed up which can be used on your other emulators or is it specific to this MSX port?

If you want the full story :

I had first ported this emulator to PSP, and using a cpu at 333Mhz it was fast enough so i didn't really take care of speed. Months later someone else ported fMSX on PSP, which was 2x faster than mine. Having a look on my fMSX code i reallized that i was creating a video frame as i was on a PC with high resolution (which the default in the original fMSX PC version). So i only change the default resolution to low res, and the speed was 2x ! So it's more a bug fix than a real improvement. And then i fixed this issue also on the gp2x version.

So have we a perfect fullspeed msx emulator o_O ? Thank you :) ^_______^

Can somebody add USB keyboard support?

I wanna have a blue-chip msx at home!... well.. short of.. :D

It will have usb support anyway. I will make it if is not done.. in a year :) I Promise!

Back