Zx-81 Appreciation Thread :)

Meneer Jansen said:
zx-81 said:
I was thinking more to something like this (just a danzeff keyboard remapping for qwerty addicts, so no need to program anything ) :

---> use fixed font to see what i mean :

w t o
q e r y i p
? . !

s g k
a d f h j l
" spc '

x b ,
z c v n m .
- = ;

Then you modify danzeff.c tables, you re-compile and that's done !
Indeed, that is what I meant. Thanks for the tip. :) I've started to make an alternative qwerty keyboard PNG picture that is based on the one included in Dinux-Write. But I am very bad in using The Gimp. Ha ha. So it looks so ugly, that I am ashamed to show it here... And I have to make multiple ones: for the capitols etc. Editing the danzeff.c file won't be a hard as I thought. But how do I compile the modified source code to the actual application w/ the makefile? I'd like to test if my ugly attempts to make a Dingoo-Write qwerty keyboard works...

Beste regards, Jansen

P.S. Don't laugh, this is what it looks like:

That's good don't worry ;). If you want me to compile a version, just send me your modified danzeff.c file (my email is in the README)

Last edited by a moderator:
zx-81 said:
That's good don't worry ;) . If you want me to compile a version, just send me your modified danzeff.c file (my email is in the README)
Mailed you my attempt for a qwerty keyboard (regulars and caps) and the psp_danzeff.c file. Hope compiling it works for you. Bye. :)

Meneer Jansen said:
zx-81 said:
That's good don't worry ;) . If you want me to compile a version, just send me your modified danzeff.c file (my email is in the README)
Mailed you my attempt for a qwerty keyboard (regulars and caps) and the psp_danzeff.c file. Hope compiling it works for you. Bye. :)

i've just recompile it and sent it to you. But you need to modify 3 PNG files for each keyboard panel :
keys.png keys_s.png and keys_t.png for lower case qwerty keys
and keys_c.png keys_c_t.png and keys_s_c.png for upper case qwerty keys
;)

zx-81 said:
i've just recompile it and sent it to you. But you need to modify 3 PNG files for each keyboard panel :
keys.png keys_s.png and keys_t.png for lower case qwerty keys
and keys_c.png keys_c_t.png and keys_s_c.png for upper case qwerty keys
;)
Thank you for sending me the executable! Now I understand why one needs three png's for lower case, upper case and the num keys! Back to the ol' drawing board then. ;)

Enverex said:
Not really. FLAC is quicker than OGG or MP3 but WAV is still fastest as it basically doesn't need to be decoded at all.

WAV files take less time to decode, but they also take more time to stream from wherever you're streaming them from. If the platform has DMA then this isn't a big deal but if it doesn't then there can be some time taken away from your program just getting the stuff in RAM. It shouldn't be too horrible though, so long as nothing is aggressively loading far more than it needs to like was the case on GP2X (which didn't have working SD DMA, in Linux at least).

On GP2X decoding 1/60th of a second of OGG to 44.1KHz typically takes about 3ms. This is using Tremolo, which is ARM optimized, but using stock Tremor shouldn't be dramatically worse. The upshoot is that on PC-Engine CD games often use a bit less CPU because they're not actively pumping digital audio samples through the PSG. This of course requires an emulator that detects idle loops in order to take advantage of it well.

Back