Zombie Sorbet

u9i

Call me Uni
Website
riotdigital.com
Zombie Sorbet for the Wiz and GP2x, is now available for download in the archives.

Zombie invasion!
Zombies have run amok in the otherwise peaceful town of Übelstadt. Alas, the military does not have sufficient resources to end the threatening zombie invasion. However, a plan, to keep the zombie population from spreading, has been formulated.

By feeding human brains to the zombies, these evil creatures will be kept from infesting more people until additional government funding is assigned to the military.

The government has stocked ordinary ice cream vans with human brains and other delicious zombie-délicatesse. You are unfortunate to have been assigned the gruesome task of driving one of these vans into Übelstadt to feed the raging zombie hordes.

How to play:
You play by selecting a zombie to get his preferred scoop. Once you have gotten the zombie's order, go to the cone machine and make the requested cone. Then pick up the cone and take it to the brain dispenser, where you add the brain. When the order is done, bring it to the zombie. To complete a level you must make enough bloody palms before time runs out. As levels progress, you get new machines as the zombies expand their taste palette. Good luck!

Features:
  • Fun and addictive
  • 20 challenging levels
  • Full of zombies and human brains... lets face it, it's a feature
  • Touch screen or dpad play
  • Volume control, pause and all the trimmings
Download Zombie Sorbet for Wiz

nf4sol.png

2mcf4ns.png

We would love to hear what you think about the game.

Absolutely great game, one of my favorites on the Wiz for now. Special credits for the graphic artist. The morbid, funny setting is matching exactly my taste. The music is also amazing and matching the setting perfectly. I especially like the steel-drums.
The game-play is originally and well implemented. The only really thing I have to critisise is the slightly too low difficult level...

Yep, difficulty was a bit low for me, too.
Also, Level selection would be great, so you can start with higher levels.

Hey guys. Thanks for the feedback. sbock, i will be sure to let the artist know :) (he's not from around here)

I agree with you both, the difficulty is too low in the first few levels. There is a startlevel.txt file in the assets folder. You can change it to something higher so that you don't have to do the first levels again and again. We were worried that it would be to difficult and people didn't know what to do, and we didn't have much time to test before submitting to the competition. So thanks for the feedback.

/Uni

I love the originality of the game! Very fun to play and very visually appealing. Some kind of high score entry would be good though. I only played it to level 4 before I had to stop but maybe a time limit before the zombie gets tired of waiting and either leaves or attacks you could be implemented as well? You could give the server a life meter for this. I'm not sure about the reggae type music, maybe something a little more melodic? The server girl looks like Marilyn Manson btw, lol.

I am glad you like it. The music is from the previous theme, and we thought it was wacky and just out of place enough to make the mood a but lighter. It is clear none of us are mucisians eh? ;)

We were takling about having the angry zombies that left walk around the van, and if there are too many angry zombies they attack and tilt over the van and you die. Who knows, it might happen.

Is the Dingoo more powerful then the GP2X? It runs a tad slow on the GP2X :) Anyways, if i had a Dingoo toolchain, maybe it is just a quick recompile. Anyone know about this? Or anyone want to donate a Dingoo? ;)

dingoo should be more powerful then gp2x.
There are 2 operating systems for dingoo, native and dingux(linux).
This toolchain will let you develop from windows for dingux

http://sience.schattenkind.net/dingoo/Dingux_Toolchain_for_Windows.htm

We can talk donations, but my dingoo is mine ;) I'd happily help you testing.

I use Linux. You don't have to donate your Dingoo :) I found this toolchain in the archives: http://dl.openhandhe...i?0,0,0,0,14,97

Is that for dingux? And is that what i should make it for? Does everyone use dingux?

Basically, i know nothing about Dingoo. But i will be sure to give you a call if i get the toolchain working so you can test it for me :)

EDIT: Oh, and if we get it working you have to promise me to make a video for me of the game running on Dingoo.

/Uni

Well, both native and dingux have their advantages and disadvantages, the community is kind of split. My personal opinion is that dingux is the easiest target for a port and most people interested in homebrew will have dingux installed.

The toolkit you picked up should be alright, but to be sure, I linked this thread on dingoonity.

@u9i
The current up to date toolchain is: http://code.google.com/p/dingoo-linux/downloads/list

In order to set it up you must copy it to /opt. Any other location and it won't work.
Then you only have to export the path variable:
Code:
export PATH="${PATH}:/opt/mipsel-linux-uclibc/usr/bin/"
..and you're ready to compile.

If your game uses configure script, invoke it like that:
Code:
./configure --host=mipsel-linux --target=mipsel-linux
If it uses a standard Makefile, just replace the lines CC and CXX to:
Code:
CC=mipsel-linux-gcc
CXX=mipsel-linux-g++
Here are the compiler flags I use to get the best performance:
Code:
-mips32 -O3 -fstrength-reduce -fthread-jumps -fexpensive-optimizations -fomit-frame-pointer -frename-registers -pipe -G 0 -ffast-math -msoft-float

As for the button mapping, Dingoo doesn't use joystick events like GP2X/WIZ, but keyboard events, which translate in the following order:
D-pad up: SDLK_UP
D-pad down: SDLK_DOWN
D-pad left: SDLK_LEFT
D-pad right: SDLK_RIGHT
A button: SDLK_LCTRL
B button: SDLK_LALT
X button: SDLK_SPACE
Y button: SDLK_LSHIFT
Left shoulder: SDLK_TAB
Right shoulder: SDLK_BACKSPACE
START button: SDLK_RETURN
SELECT button: SDLK_ESCAPE
POWER UP button: SDLK_PAUSE (only in newer kernels)

One more thing, Dingoo accepts 320x240 16bpp, SDL_SWSURFACE and AUDIO_S16 only.

thx zear, guess that post could even be turned into a wiki-article.

u9i: I'll make an awesome video, promise :D

Hi,

Thanks u9i for this new GP2X game :)

Here are my first impressions about it:

+ Music
+ Gfx

- No highscore table / highest level reached ?
- Touchscreen mode doesn't always work perfectly (but keys work fine) :(
- Difficulty curve too slow
- You can keep on serving "customers" after the end of the shift, to reach your $ goal...

Idea:

- Could the zombies attack you and eat your brain (= game over) if you're wrong about their order, if you serve someone else first, or simply if you're too late ?

Bye and thanks again for this great game !

Magic Sam

u9i said:
Hi zear / conso,

How is volume control handled on the Dingoo/Dingux? I have tried to look, but i couldn't find any volume buttons?
There is no hardware volume control, you have to set it up via software.

Last edited by a moderator:
i love the 'sick' theme of this game :D

about Dingoo:
the traditional way of setting volume on Dingoo is UP/DOWN+Power. it's a little weird, but works :)
my GF has a Dingoo and i personally prefer the original OS (the GUI is very easy to use, so i didn't install Dingux for her)

Back