Zombie Apocalypse

Couldn't an existing 3D engine be used to make an isometric-ish game. Is it not a simple thing to put the camera (viewport) in a position that accomplishes nearly the same effect as an isometric engine?

The point of us making it isometric is bcaus it would be too difficult to make it 3D. Wouldn't doing it that way kindof defeat the purpose?

I don't know if it defeats the point. It means you use models instead of sprites. You can add nice looking particle effects and maybe change your camera position on the fly to get a better view of things. Like GTA3 but the camera is higher in the air and farther away. The models don't have to be as detailed since they're never right in your face. It's like Boson http://boson.eu.org/screenshots.php
Just throwing another idea out to further delay project :unsure: j/k :D

Edit: One might even look at using the Boson engine as it is GPL. May or may not be problematic as at least part of the game depends on KDE.

Can I get a little update here? Has the game engine discussion progressed any further? I am still in favour of a quake2 port and setting it up so the view is isometric but done with nice polygons and effects.

1stdesigncz4.th.jpg

Here is a first design for a title screen. I was experimenting a little to see how the lettering should look like. I intend on changing the word "Zombie" from that cartoonish look to something prettier later. Any comments or ideas on what else to change? The photo I based the zombies on is from a photo of the original "night of the living dead" film by George Romero.

I like it, I had a similar idea, but with 'Zombie' green and 'Apocalypse' a bit bigger. Could you try that? I'm a failure artistically :(

EDIT: Are we going to run into legal problems because of that NOTLD picture? I'm just remembering that whole Dead Rising thing

Well, it's just a mockup right now anyway. I think I modified the photo enough to make it legit and since we will not sell the game, I don't see how it could be a problem...

I'll try it with a slimey green look too!

xnopasaranx said:
Can I get a little update here? Has the game engine discussion progressed any further? I am still in favour of a quake2 port and setting it up so the view is isometric but done with nice polygons and effects.
I doubt it would very good at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
teh_programerer said:
EDIT: Are we going to run into legal problems because of that NOTLD picture?
I believe NotLD is in the public domain now through some odd series of coincidences where everyone thought it was someone else's responsibility to renew the copyright.

MattRDavis said:
teh_programerer said:
EDIT: Are we going to run into legal problems because of that NOTLD picture?
I believe NotLD is in the public domain now through some odd series of coincidences where everyone thought it was someone else's responsibility to renew the copyright.

So....does that mean we can download it legally? :ph34r:

PlopperZ said:
So....does that mean we can download it legally? :ph34r:
Not only that, I believe you can download it, burn it & legally sell it to your heart's content. :p

That's why you see Night of the Living Dead on all those Bargain Bin DVD's that are compilations of old, old horror movies... most of those movies are in the public domain so the companies that print'em don't have to pay any royalties or licensing fees.

It apparently IS public domain and available from Google Video & other public video archives. Wikipedia has the details (plot, casting, & copyright status).

On the document - it IS progressing, but with Mother's Day this weekend and a busy end of week, not yet ready for public consumption. Does anyone have a website on which it can be stored & downloaded from? While I know there is RapidShare & the like, I tend to avoid them wherever possible.

--BenT

BenT said:
On the document - it IS progressing, but with Mother's Day this weekend and a busy end of week, not yet ready for public consumption. Does anyone have a website on which it can be stored & downloaded from? While I know there is RapidShare & the like, I tend to avoid them wherever possible.

--BenT
MediaFire is good, simple, and free

I have webhosting with 17tb of bandwidth and enough space for anything. I might be able to set up a public ftp if anyone wants, provided I figure out how.

JakeK said:
xnopasaranx said:
I doubt it would very good at all.

Please explain.

New titlescreen suggestion! Now I spent a little more time on it! Same photo of zombies used but I tweaked it a little more.

Back