Zeq2lite

how much was done on the render shared lib? MDave could you use the iphone renderer library combined with your client binary and game shared library?

I reallly like the way this is looking, but most of the screenshots look like they're missing some structure to achieve that "hand-drawn" feeling (if you're going for that in the first place :D)...

I'm not exactly sure how you achieve the Cel Shading, because there was talk about it being in the textures, but then you showed that screenshot where you apparently "enabled" Cel Shading for the surroundings...

Anyway, I think something like NPRQuake has done would be a really cool addition to this. I especially like the "brush" effect :)
If it was ported to the Quake 3 engine (that's a huge if, I'm sure) and expanded to include textures and colors, I believe that effect would work reallly well with the DBZ theme. I have no clue how much CPU/GPU/DSP overhead it would add though, so maybe it's just a pipe dream.

1. Epic. I've been waiting for another Bid For Power project. This one looks better than the last.
2. There's a problem exactly because of that. Some may not know, but BFP was given a Cease and Desist, because the mod contained copyrighted material. Zeq2Lite has been lucky so far because there hasn't been any published material other than a few screenshots, no webpage and no videos. Keep it that way, and you'll float right under the radar until release time. But once you're there, you better make sure that you either A) Can not be located and/or sued, B ) Get super lucky and nobody from the copyright department will notice/give a crap.

Good luck.

Pickle posted on May 17 2009 at 11:06 PM said:
how much was done on the render shared lib? MDave could you use the iphone renderer library combined with your client binary and game shared library?
Ah I haven't done any work yet on the renderer. To be honest, it might be easier to just work with the standard quake 3 engine you have already worked on, instead of ioquake3. There is really not a lot changed for the renderer specific to zeq2lite. Only reason we're using ioquake3 is because of the png and ogg support it has, we could convert the content back into formats quake3 understands but that kind of makes the game very large :p Perhaps it might be possible to take ioquake3's png and ogg support into standard quake3 :) Then we get the best of both worlds.

I'm not much of a coder myself, only know the basics and some intermediate skills, I'm mainly an animation artist for the game :p The majority of the code done for zeq2lite was done by someone years ago, and just recently he's coming back to help with the game code :) Me and my other friends have been working with the game code since a few months ago, when we proposed to finish what we started years ago :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Though I was always a bit of a tomboy, I never was able to stick with DragonBall Z all the way through (mainly because it always struck me that it got a bit ridiculous later on :lol: ). That said, this looks *incredibly* professional, and sounds like a lot of fun - it looks and sounds like it really captures the essence of its source material.

Also, those screenshots look like something out of some sort of highly-funded commercial project (and I mean that in a good way, of course :)). Major kudos to all of you who've worked on it.

Though I can't contribute anything of use, I'm very much looking forward to trying this out.

Here is a quick and dirty video I made to show how it's coming along. Work In Progress of course. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x95sAvaUgIw

This is the PC version though, not the Pandora one so don't expect the graphics (or frame rate) to be as good as that video, but who knows! :D

Looks awesome!

Can you give a rundown on features, characters, maps, attacks, etc...? (What is planned or at least what is done so far?)

Looking really impressive! I look forward to seeing more in the future. :)

Not really my kind of game, never been a fan of DBZ
But it's looking very impressive, at the very least for me it'll be some impressive eye candy to show what the Panda can do.
Looking forward to seeing the final result

Nataku said:
Looks awesome!

Can you give a rundown on features, characters, maps, attacks, etc...? (What is planned or at least what is done so far?)

Check my post back on page 1 http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/47623-zeq2lite/page__p__724780&#entry724780

;)

As for characters, we have the likes of Goku, Vegeta, Raditz, Piccolo and Frieza in the game at the moment, although some might not make the cut for release.
We have 3 maps at the moment, Radits Landing (where Goku and Piccolo fight Raditz), Desert Duel (where Goku fights Vegeta) and Last Stand (where the Z fighters fight Nappa).
All the mentioned characters can do basic ki attacks like blasts, rapid fire blasts, balls, and beams.

At the moment I'm working on the code for power struggling, but it's not easy :p I could really do with help on this one!
Melee is going to be more tactical then what I shown in that video. I didn't show blocking or dodging ;)

Pretty close to a release, but not until I get all the bugs fixed.

I wouldn't mind any help with coding! I'm just a beginner really, so I can only do so much :p One of our other 2 coders is too busy with uni and work, and the other has other commitments too.

MDave said:
This is the PC version though, not the Pandora one so don't expect the graphics (or frame rate) to be as good as that video, but who knows! :D
"Don't Compromize, Optimize!" ... ;)

MDave said:
I wouldn't mind any help with coding! I'm just a beginner really, so I can only do so much :p One of our other 2 coders is too busy with uni and work, and the other has other commitments too.
Very interesting Video. Old "Bid for Power" sessions came into my mind. ^_^ I hope you find coders with some spare-time, the Game could be a real burner, if someone can add some good AI for quick single-Player action (like BFP).
I love the Dragonball Fighting-Style, kicking the opponent high in the air, flying self quickly even higher and then kicking the enemy from above straight down to the ground. :D The Video indicates that this move is possible into the Game, VERY nice. :)

I wish I had talent for coding...damn...

This looks awesome! I was a HUGE fan of ESF (very similar to this but ran on the half life 1 engine), this looks as good (graphics wise) as most psp games that are made by commercial developers, although you guys aren't as professional, you have double the horsepower! So do your best and I'll be happy :D

Wohoo, I managed to get power struggles working good! :D Expect to see some nice screens (or a vid!) when I add in some extra effects for it :)

Also, we managed to get a blog site up for the project: http://zeq2.com/lite/ , so it has a home now :) just need to populate it with things (and make a theme or something).

Almost there ready for a release, but the final push to polish the game up takes a good amount of time itself :) Hopefully we will have good timing and have it ready on Pandora's release :)

Looks great, i cant wait to see this on the pandora.
Also Mdave, how many forms do you plan on putting in the game from the DBZ series.
You know like: kaioken,SS,SS2,SS3,great ape,fusions.
I would love if that was in the game.

Back