Pandora Languages for Pandora

Breyyne

Still Fresh
I am new hear and have recently preordered my Pandora. I had been peeking in on the project for the last few years waiting for it to be settled and released. Now I want to use the time before I get my Pandora in learning a language and brushing up on my programming skills for use with the Pandora.

As I only have a base familarity with Unix/Linux distros, I wanted to ask the Pandora development community at large which would be the best programming language would be best to work with for it. I would like to be able to work from the Pandora or either my Mac or Windows machines, the later mainly for large coding sessions and pre-Pandora ownership. My main interest is Gaming but I don't want to be limited to it either as it will be interesting to see what can be developed with the Pandora.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

For developing games, C/C++ is really the only way to go imo.. Python might be possible, but you'll have to think before coding if you want decent speed. In general, you need to write the code with the hardware limitations in mind if you want good frame rate. It's either that or simple web-based games. HTML5 isn't really at a usable speed on the pandora yet though. GLESGAE might be worth looking into if you are interested in web-based games anyways.

For general purpose apps, you can use almost anything (Java and C# being a bit tricky.) If speed isn't a big concern, anything that has a ARM interpreter/compiler should work as long as there's enough RAM available.

Choose the tool for the job.

Thanks Slaesh.

I will get started learning C++. I don't really care much for web-based games, I'm not really after a FarmVille market. :p

Java might be fun, but maybe for later on.

In the meantime, I am going to try working through some free online lessons like Google. And probably pick up a book, though it is likely to find a shelf and stay till I need a referrence on something.

Maybe you should take a look a C first, C++ is a very massive language. C itself is a rather simple language (the original manual written by its creator only had about 200 pages, that was absolutely revolutionary at that time), you rather create your own structures instead of relying what the language might provide, and what you learn about it will come in handy when you switch to C++ as C is kind of a subset of C++

I agree to start with C. Also i would advise not to spend money on books unless you have a lot of money and really want one. I bought a c++ book and the only thing I learned from it was compound statements wich is a trivial little detail to say the least, everything you need to know can be found in a better explenation on the internet for free, or so my experience have been so far anyway. Well actually I did start with a pirated e-book, but that was pure coincidence, I think http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/ should be possible for start, I didnt know of the vast available info on the internet until I had started and needed further help, had I knew in advance of what could be found freely online I had started imidiatly and hadnt bought any books.

GLBasic and BennuGD would be an option if you are a bit experienced with basic stuff and don't have the time to read yourself into C++.

Though best is C++ for sure.

I like python. Python is easy, possibly even easier than basic, and it's already set-up and working on Pandora. I've written something in Pygame on my laptop, just copy-pasted it to SD card, and run it on Pandora. I guess which is easier depends on how you think.

You can start writing python almost the same as you would basic, and then pick up more advanced stuff like classes when you're ready.

It is slower for games by default, since it's being interpreted instead of pre-compiled. I want to see if cxfreeze will work on Pandora - I think it should, since it uses python itself to do the compiling. Dunno how much that'll help speed, but I set a framerate on my stuff anyways, which helps considerably.

In any case, I remember when first learning python, I followed a hello-world tutorial, then immediately wrote something that asks questions and prints the answers to a formatted file, to create character profiles.

I want to learn C. Maybe C++. I just have a bit of an aversion to { extensive(use of) --> symbols; } ... And a minor fear of killing things with pointers. But I'll get over that. Eventually. Maybe.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with C or C++, but python's great too, and can be very useful, especially for doing things quickly, prototyping, making quick GUIs for things, or doing something you might do in a shell script, but need classes. And lots of cool games have been made for python, see pygame and pyweek.

I'm still definitely more of a scripter than a programmer, but if I ever want to do something really big, I'll probably have to buckle down and learn C anyways. Right now though, I do pretty much everything in python and bash.

My experience with C (&friends);

the semicolon-eating-monster will always demand more semicolons;

before it complies your program;

I probably need more practice

in S.C.E.M.-taming;

---

Will; not; post; want; semicolon; line 4;

There is nothing easier to learn than GLBasic and it can compile your game for just about any platform there is with just a click. iPhone, Android, Windows, Mac, Linux, GP2x, Wiz, PANDORA and so on :)

Being Basic it's very easy to get started on but you can still do inline c++. And the community is very helpful, always good when learning a new language.

GLBasic 2D version is free, 3D and network costs money if I remember right.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will take a look at GLBasic, but I think I will ultimately stick with C++.

I have no issue with sysmbols in a language so long as I understand their usage. I started out programming in middle school, Back with Logo was considered a language, and powered through the semester of Logo and the next two of QBasic in the first semester. Now I am just at the point where I want to sit down and learn a language and not confuse myself with syntax from another.

For a code noob (dabbled a bit with BASIC, C, python, etc, by trying to teach myself by reading books and tutorials...but never got too far...), how would you compare GLBasic versus Gambas (someone recommended it on the forums) for learning to program?

With gambas you can use a lot of frameworks and tools like gtk, qt sqlite etc. and the programming is more in a visual basic way. So if you like Microsofts visual basic or like to program by clicking through menus, try gambas.

If you want to create games and can live with a basic like language you need to write with a nice toolset, try GLBasic :)

With gambas you can use a lot of frameworks and tools like gtk, qt sqlite etc. and the programming is more in a visual basic way. So if you like Microsofts visual basic or like to program by clicking through menus, try gambas.

If you want to create games and can live with a basic like language you need to write with a nice toolset, try GLBasic :)

Thanks for your input, mcobit...it's very helpful to have clarification about each program.....both sound good in their own way..... :)

There are few more basic dialects / other alternatives in CLI Love included like:

- YAB + GTK Server [YAB is a nice GAMBAS alternative]

- TinyBasic

- AIME - take a look here: http://aime-embedded...-aime_003f.html

- CDK Toolkit

Thanks for your helpful feedback, commander-beef......

Hmmm......more choices.....so, more difficult decision to make....... ;)

You can have a very clear idea of Ruby if you try this 15mn interactive tutorial:

http://tryruby.org/l.../1/challenges/0

You can consider Ruby as the Java killer.

Thanks for your suggestions, Linux-SWAT!....

Interesting that you mention Ruby, as I bought a Learn to Program book that uses Ruby as the basis for learning...haven't gone through the book yet....but plan to soon......

Suppose I can install Ruby in PanDebian...... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You can consider Ruby as the Java killer.
Sorry, but.... loll

Java once have been said to be the C++ killer. 15 years later, C++ is still as strong as it was ;)
C and C++ can't be compared with java as they are strongly linked to UNIX, and also produce fast programs.

The biggest danger for java is now Oracle, and as they are very pro as sucking, the logical replacement is Ruby.

I'm also convinced Google may be planning to make Android Ruby-friendly, and why not, drop Java.

Also, java programmers usually dislike java, which is the contrary with Ruby.

Rubygame is a pretty good game library.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's just one problem with ruby.

800px-Florida_Box_Turtle_Digon3.jpg

Back