Z "zee" Or Z "zed"

How do you pronounce the letter Z?

• Z "Zee"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Z "Zed"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Zip or Zit, depending on the situation. I was thought to pronounce it as Zed, but it seems like most people use Zee. Ah well when will people learn? :rolleyes:

As a secondary school teacher in England I always accept American spellings when kids use them. So long as they are using standard spellings I couldn't care less if it is the English or American one.
I'm a teacher too, though currently working in Spain. Your position seems particularly half cocked. Are you an English teacher? If so is that the position of the NC? I don't think so. I am a science teacher and I put emphasis on spelling especially in scientific nomenclature.If nothing else it is good practice. Aluminium is the correct spelling as the pronunciation is different to Aluminum. If I taught in the US I would still say aluminium as I am English but I would accept aluminum from the students. To accept an version in the other country seems odd and a bit confusing. Would you accept coleur too, no I doubt it?

Most brits spell 'Jail' the american way after all ( I guess if we were being patriotic we would spell it 'gaol' - but that just looks stupid)
It's prison.

Back on topic I used to always say Zed but now I sometimes slip and say Zee - Spent too long watching sesame street during school holidays..
Says it all.

@LHC I don't consider myself stuck up at all, if you notice my earlier post I pointed out that it was the american who said "Europeans" say things one way, not the Brit. I speak fairly good french and am making as best of a go at spanish as I can. Please don't make sweeping generalisations, work with the evidence you have.

I'm a teacher too, though currently working in Spain. Your position seems particularly half cocked. Are you an English teacher? If so is that the position of the NC? I don't think so. I am a science teacher and I put emphasis on spelling especially in scientific nomenclature.If nothing else it is good practice.

I'm a science teacher too and I frequently clash with the NC in one way or another. I have no evidence my students find this confusing in fact if you explain to them why you disagree with something they will often become more interested.

On Monday I taught one of my classes about the 'Respiratory System' and explained to them that while they have to recognise this name I would prefer for them to call it the 'Breathing System'. I then explained why, we had a discussion about it and the whole class got particularly good marks in that section of the test I've just finished marking. (and yes I used the standard British mark scheme!)

To accept an version in the other country seems odd and a bit confusing. Would you accept coleur too, no I doubt it?

Hmm - I think this one is fairly easy to sort out:

Colour is in my copy of the Oxford English dictionary
Color is too...
nope no sign of coleur anywhere so I'd have to correct that. (Not too confusing)

There is no right or wrong here - The important thing about spelling, punctuation and nomenclature is that you pick a style and stick to it consistently throughout your work. If you constantly change your nomenclature, the way you spell certain words or punctuate then that is unacceptable to everybody.

And you are quite right I must standardize the way I pronounce Z immediately - I'm going back to Zed.

I'm a teacher too, though currently working in Spain. Your position seems particularly half cocked. Are you an English teacher? If so is that the position of the NC? I don't think so. I am a science teacher and I put emphasis on spelling especially in scientific nomenclature.If nothing else it is good practice.

I'm a science teacher too and I frequently clash with the NC in one way or another. I have no evidence my students find this confusing in fact if you explain to them why you disagree with something they will often become more interested.

On Monday I taught one of my classes about the 'Respiratory System' and explained to them that while they have to recognise this name I would prefer for them to call it the 'Breathing System'. I then explained why, we had a discussion about it and the whole class got particularly good marks in that section of the test I've just finished marking. (and yes I used the standard British mark scheme!)

To accept an version in the other country seems odd and a bit confusing. Would you accept coleur too, no I doubt it?

Hmm - I think this one is fairly easy to sort out:

Colour is in my copy of the Oxford English dictionary
Color is too...
nope no sign of coleur anywhere so I'd have to correct that. (Not too confusing)

There is no right or wrong here - The important thing about spelling, punctuation and nomenclature is that you pick a style and stick to it consistently throughout your work. If you constantly change your nomenclature, the way you spell certain words or punctuate then that is unacceptable to everybody.

And you are quite right I must standardize the way I pronounce Z immediately - I'm going back to Zed.
Bah, the respiratory system isn't just breathing though, do plants breathe?

Last edited by a moderator:
Plants do 'breathe' in a way. They exchange gases with the air around them through holes usually in the underside of their leaves called 'stomata'! :)

I am WAY off topic now!

The "repiratory system" IS pretty much just breathing - removing waste gas and taking Oxygen into the blood.

The "respiratory system" has AS MUCH to do with respiration as the digestive system does. The breathing system provides the oxygen needed, the digestive system provides the glucose. Respiration actually goes on in every cell in your body so the idea we have one system to do it is ridiculous. (thats why its a bad name!)

Plants do 'breathe' in a way. They exchange gases with the air around them through holes usually in the underside of their leaves called 'stomata'! :)

I am WAY off topic now!

The "repiratory system" IS pretty much just breathing - removing waste gas and taking Oxygen into the blood.

The "respiratory system" has AS MUCH to do with respiration as the digestive system does. The breathing system provides the oxygen needed, the digestive system provides the glucose. Respiration actually goes on in every cell in your body so the idea we have one system to do it is ridiculous. (thats why its a bad name!)
alright, do microbes breathe (I'm not talking about viruses, other microbes, I know viruses haven't been found to respire), and what about fish?

Microbes respire either with oxygen (aerobic) or without it (anaerobic). The ones that respire without it tend to produce loads of nasty waste compounds and they often produce diseases in animals and plants. They obviously don't have lungs so they just pass dissolved gases and other compounds like glucose across their cell membranes.

A fish has gills that allow the water they swim in to get really close to the fishes blood. This means that dissolved oxygen in the water can move into the blood. Thats the fish equivalent of breathing in.

Hope that helps :)

Microbes respire either with oxygen (aerobic) or without it (anaerobic). The ones that respire without it tend to produce loads of nasty waste compounds and they often produce diseases in animals and plants. They obviously don't have lungs so they just pass dissolved gases and other compounds like glucose across their cell membranes.

A fish has gills that allow the water they swim in to get really close to the fishes blood. This means that dissolved oxygen in the water can move into the blood. Thats the fish equivalent of breathing in.

Hope that helps :)
I meant, while they respire, they don't exactly breathe

Okay then - No.

Plants and microbes don't breath in the way that mammals do. They don't have lungs so they can't - but they do 'gaseous exchange' with their surroundings.

There are some fish (like corydora catfish) that can 'breathe' in through their mouths and hold the oxygen in their swim bladder - but again most fish don't breathe in the way you mean.

Did that answer make sense?

Okay then - No.

Plants and microbes don't breath in the way that mammals do. They don't have lungs so they can't - but they do 'gaseous exchange' with their surroundings.

There are some fish (like corydora catfish) that can 'breathe' in through their mouths and hold the oxygen in their swim bladder - but again most fish don't breathe in the way you mean.

Did that answer make sense?
bahh.. I was proving you wrong, in the fact that respiration isn't breathing, They were rhetorical questions.

Nova you suicidal multiple personality Emo cutter. anyhoo. Respiration is fun. Seeing as there are science teachers here. Would i have any serious harm form getting hit in the head 2-3 times?

Back