You Guys Are Not Going To Believe It

Tobriand said:
Just as a heads up, this thread is getting lol'ed once it's run it's course. The Hulk references are brilliant :D
Agreed.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
someboddy said:
Yesterday I was telling a friend of mine about the Pandora, and can you guess what was the first thing he asked?

it was "Which company made it?"!!!

I started to freak out, and ofcourse I replied "NO COMPANY! A BUNCH OF DUDES MADE IT!"(it's in caps because I said it while freaking out).

Unfortunately, instead of saying something like "You mean, you cant really specify a manufacturer?", the guy just said "Dude, what the hell are you freaking out over?", so I told him about that thread.

True story.

This must be the missing chapter from the Bible.

It's like telling the hippo from Harvey Birdman that you didn't get that thing he sent you.

Nevermind that, explaining who makes something is infinitely less tedious than listening to freaking adolescents talk about their PSP aspirations (namely because I guess they can't steal them, and it will be a couple years before they can start adding farto-can mufflers and $x,xxx chrome wheels to their hondas as the acme of poor taste).

"have you heard of the PSP" (low rider 60" diameter shorts are mildly distracting)

"sure, I think so, it is the little thing with the screen."

"yah, those is da bomb, we's gonna gets one wen we gots enuf moneys"

(I watch this train wreck of utter stupidity, in retrospect only slightly less annoying than the DS fanboi's talking about their craptacular "3D" Nintendo DS, as if poorly textured, poorly lit polygons possibly numbering in the hundreds are the holy grail. I honestly don't know what to think, 256x190 pixels with next to no processing power behind them? Or a screen of such poor quality I feel the need to measure the red pixel intensity die off in whole seconds? People who email on a PSP should be banned from creating offspring, I have seen more usable on-screen keyboards on an SNES game.)

nubie said:
I honestly don't know what to think, 256x190 pixels with next to no processing power behind them?
*256x192

Eat it! Eat it! You stupid son of a *****. How could you forget five-hundred and twelve pixels? Are you scared? Do you want to cry? Too bad! Eat your words like a good little ***** or you're going back to the broom closet.

;)

imec said:
nubie said:
I honestly don't know what to think, 256x190 pixels with next to no processing power behind them?
*256x192

Eat it! Eat it! You stupid son of a *****. How could you forget five-hundred and twelve pixels? Are you scared? Do you want to cry? Too bad! Eat your words like a good little ***** or you're going back to the broom closet.

;)

oops, darn, I must now cower in shame. So sorry to have imposed on you, I must kick myself in shame http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfhkuXuQ9eA (good thing I didn't say anything about the knife :p )

CandidStan said:
someboddy said:
Yesterday I was telling a friend of mine about the Pandora, and can you guess what was the first thing he asked?

I started to freak out, and ofcourse I replied "NO COMPANY! A BUNCH OF DUDES MADE IT!"(it's in caps because I said it while freaking out).

Unfortunately, instead of saying something like "You mean, you cant really specify a manufacturer?", the guy just said "Dude, what the hell are you freaking out over?", so I told him about that thread.

True story.

This must be the missing chapter from the Bible.

Actually, this is something that many consumers may worry about. It's an expensive game system and no matter how powerful it is, it's useless without software. We in the gp32/gp2x user community have enjoyed fairly good support with emulators and home made games and ports. Many of the home made games are good, some are ok for short time and many are just not that good. But someone new to the community may want to have some good assurances that they aren't buying a techno-brick. There are probably hundreds of example through the years of systems that had kickass hardware and capabilities and no/little software. A system is only as good as the software available for it. I think it's going to need a pretty good number of very good games, emulators and software (since it is a UMPC) before people outside of this community would be willing to plonk down several hundred us dollars on it. Consumer confidence is going to be low (outside of this community) to begin with. At least the gp2x had the gp32 behind it, as where this is a first time effort. Has there been a company formed at this point? Pandora. Inc or something? I assume there are patents and trademarks owned by somebody and a holding company or something was formed? I have no idea how this stuff works. Just guess work on my part.

It might also be a good idea legally to protect the people behind it from unforeseen problems, particularly safety problems. If Apple can put out items that can over heat and catch fire, it could happen to any one. It's just a thought.

Chris

christo930 said:
At least the gp2x had the gp32 behind it, as where this is a first time effort. Has there been a company formed at this point? Pandora. Inc or something? I assume there are patents and trademarks owned by somebody and a holding company or something was formed?
Um, this is technically the device the GP2X should have been, and considering it has the same community, I figure it has the same people behind it.

Frankly the GP2X didn't have any games, the only ones I recall had Craigix's hand heavily in the matters.

The people behind the GP2X didn't give a crap as long as you bought their stupid device. The original Xbox controller is easier to use than the GP2X for gaming.

It isn't like this is vaporware, there is hardware and software, the trick is to let the community in on it. We get a handheld with a massive battery and dual SD AND USB! This is great. Considering the price I can't imagine this failing. Playstation emulation in software and overclocks to 900mhz!

Sorry, the pandora is even more this scene than the GP32 and GP2X, ever notice that the GP2X and GP32 have had massive changes in firmware and hardware that break a lot of apps/games? Ever notice that these changes aren't mentioned at all, just foisted on the buyer with no warning at all? As if to punish us for being foolish enough to buy their crap?

What could possibly be the motive behind making a change and then keeping everyone in the dark while apps quit working and units get corrupted firmware and die? How about writing the same "bad blocks" table to the firmware image? Practically a Guarantee that units will end up bricked.

Pissing us off with failed cables priced 500% over their worth, lame. Holding off on the USB until far too late for anyone to add proper support? Pricing simple hardware to make USB ($0.40 chip + USB socket + USB 1.1 hub, WITH power supply), at about $70!! F'ing ridiculous if you ask me, and a year too freaking late.

Notice how all of these concerns have been addressed, notice how Craigix has hosted the english-speaking shop (and been a major advertiser) for the GP32 and GP2X, as well as been active in the support of developers and software for it. Also throwing in SD card readers FREE, and having awesome failed unit policy (second-hand knowledge, I live in US, so wasn't best to buy from him).

I don't at all see the Pand. coming from a different place as the GP's, the same family, just the birth parents are no longer bastards.

someboddy said:

Birdseye.jpg

someboddy said:
319086098.jpg

someboddy said:
True story.
FlyingPig.gif

nubie said:
(I watch this train wreck of utter stupidity, in retrospect only slightly less annoying than the DS fanboi's talking about their craptacular "3D" Nintendo DS, as if poorly textured, poorly lit polygons possibly numbering in the hundreds are the holy grail. I honestly don't know what to think, 256x190 pixels with next to no processing power behind them? Or a screen of such poor quality I feel the need to measure the red pixel intensity die off in whole seconds? People who email on a PSP should be banned from creating offspring, I have seen more usable on-screen keyboards on an SNES game.)
:lol:

I know just how you feel there. I like the DS, but it would be dumb if I said it had awesome graphics. I had to put up with all my friends hyping about it shortly before its release. The only reason I got one is because it had Mario Kart. :p

nubie said:
christo930 said:
At least the gp2x had the gp32 behind it, as where this is a first time effort. Has there been a company formed at this point? Pandora. Inc or something? I assume there are patents and trademarks owned by somebody and a holding company or something was formed?
The original Xbox controller is easier to use than the GP2X for gaming.

What's wrong with the original X-box controller? I liked it.

jmetal88 said:
nubie said:
:lol:

I know just how you feel there. I like the DS, but it would be dumb if I said it had awesome graphics. I had to put up with all my friends hyping about it shortly before its release. The only reason I got one is because it had Mario Kart. :p

Who gives a shit about the graphics? If you ask me, too much obsession with graphics quality is what is leading to all the shitty games that are coming out nowadays.

Most of the games nowadays focus on good graphics, and normally don't put enough thought into game mechanics and play. Not to mention, the difficulty of most games nowadays pale in comparison to all the old games.

Because people obsess over graphics, we aren't seeing the quality of games nowadays that we deserve, and I think it's bullshit to insult a game system because it doesn't have good graphics. Because it's not the graphics that matter, it's the quality of the games.

EDIT: Sorry if this sounds like a rant, but I had to get it off my chest.

-God Ginrai

Back