Yet another concept for the new Pyra

MrBazil2k

Just btw : I have summarized some of the requests and ideas of several ppl of this forum and have also added some ideas of mine

This is just a concept at all I ve created within the past few days

Dont take it too serious pls its just a concept ... :

- I have used a 5 inch 16:9 screen here

- you can see a clamping device to fix the screen in any desired angle you want =P

- LEDs can be found right next to the row with 6 buttons above the nubs

- Battery is slided in sideways

- Headphone-jack and miniHDMI is at front due to the lack of space on the backside (working on that atm)

- USB, miniUSB, and the Power-connector are at the backside

- same counts for L1, L2 , R1 and R2

What do you think of it ?

qejx.png

6mya.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd prefer it if the speakers were in the lid, since I'd say front-back space was more critical than left-right space

I'd also prefer it if everything was more rounded too.

The recessed controls are good though, as is holding things together with screws (or bolts) rather than clips :)

If you don't want to compromised the screen, you could try to fit the speakers directly under it.

Hi, sorry for being off topic, but which software did you use ? Is it Solid Edge ?

Hi, sorry for being off topic, but which software did you use ? Is it Solid Edge ?
Solid Works it is

Is there a chance PYRA's screen be rotated like this for Android stuff?
I m wondering about the cable connection of the solution there =D

That display somehow must have a doubled hinge or something cO

Just by the way : (since there is another poll out there available about the outside dimensions of the pyra)

The concept in the picture up there has got the following dimensions :

- Width : 130 mm = 5.12 inch (thats the result of fitting the case to the screen size =P)

- Depth : 98 mm = 3.86 inch

- Thickness : ~26 mm = 1.02 inch

Im not happy with the width of it by the way... looks a bit weird compared to the Pandora itself.

But its the outcome if we would say the screen size dominates the devices outside dimensions.

But its the outcome if we would say the screen size dominates the devices outside dimensions.
I think it actually does, together with the size of the controller part (keyboard and gaming controls). The one which is bigger determines the size.

Can you not bring the screen lower to the hinge? Does putting the battery in from the side have any cons?

Can you not bring the screen lower to the hinge?
Hummm... maybe about 3 mm if I squeeze it a bit more.

I guess I will rework this some other time again. ^^

99fb.png

I still think the L/R 2 buttons should be below the other shoulderbuttons.

They will be hard to press if they are like in the concept rendering.

Edit: Also no screws on the lid please ;)

Yeah I would like them in that position too to be honest ...

I m already playing around with this too =)

O well lets see what the result of that dimension poll looks like ^^

That will change several things again I guess.

Does putting the battery in from the size have any cons?
Well... by sliding the battery in sideways we would not have that current breakable battery cover anymore.

I remember my first Rebirth pandora loosing 2 of its noses just by putting the battery in as usual.

That was one of the reasons i have bought my first Rebirth Pandora a complete silver case afterwards ...

But the pros and cons need to be discussed I guess ...

Just by the way : (since there is another poll out there available about the outside dimensions of the pyra)

The concept in the picture up there has got the following dimensions :

- Width : 130 mm = 5.12 inch (thats the result of fitting the case to the screen size =P)

- Depth : 98 mm = 3.86 inch

- Thickness : ~26 mm = 1.02 inch

Im not happy with the width of it by the way... looks a bit weird compared to the Pandora itself.

The cross sectional area (98mm*26mm = 2548mm^2) winds up being greater than the existing Pandora's (83.48*29.25 = 2441.79 mm^2).  This may not seem like much, but using those dimensions, an open top pocket that fits the Pandora would not be able to fit the Pyra.

Existing Pandora's dimensions are:

Width:  140.29

Depth:  83.48

Thickness:  29.25

Cross sectional surface area = 83.48*29.25 = 2441.79 mm^2.

Right now the device depth (front to back) in those drawings is the combined height of the screen plus the hinge.

The screen isn't getting any thinner.

The hinge is huge so that wires can pass twisted and curled through the inside.

This may seem radical, but what if it were to use two thin/svelte hinges one on each side (keep the knurled knob too) and a gap in the center big enough or the wires to simply connect through?  Can that combined screen + hinge design compress the depth by a cm to keep it under 90mm?This may sound a bit radical... but 98mm deep is too much.

Right now the device depth (front to back) in those drawings is the combined height of the screen plus the hinge.

The screen isn't getting any thinner.

The hinge is huge so that wires can pass twisted and curled through the inside.

What if it were to use two thin/svelte hinges one on each side (keep the knurled knob too) and a gap in the center big enough for the wires to simply connect through?  No twisting cables - just a slot in the lid and a slot in the base and a flat loom of wires going through them.  Can that combined screen + hinge design compress the depth by a cm to keep it under 90mm?

The width (left/right) could increase a cm or two and I don't think anyone would cry, but increasing the depth winds up being a pocketability issue.

Can you not bring the screen lower to the hinge?
 Hummm... maybe about 3 mm if I squeeze it a bit more.

I guess I will rework this some other time again. ^^

99fb.png
Looking at the image I noticed something... There is a lot of bezel being used top and bottom on the 5" screen - even more than on the existing Pandora. Is there a reason for that?

From what I can tell, these 5" 1080p screens that are out there have large bezel requirements on the narrow edge, but can be as low as 1.5-3mm on the long edges.

It would help if ED could let you know exactly which screen he's going to use - or at least it's real dimensions. The screen winds up dictating the rest of the dimensions of the device.

Oh - and I think we should absolutely keep the knurled knob. That is perfect.

Thanks!

Very interesting. Love the battery sliding in sideways, as it does away with one layer of case and makes the cover much less complex.  Keyboard flex is an issue though.

The curled knob is exactly how you adjust the front fork on volga motorbikes, too much and turning is affected, too little and you get wobble.

The outward bezel on the screen actually has a feature as a sun protector, rather see it there than indentation of keyboard and buttons, as that is more complex.

If the mic(s) was placed on the forward plane rather than right next to the speakers it would provide less feedback and less mechanical cross-talk microphonics.

Anything going into the hinge is complex and requires work to assemble.

In general i like anything that is less complex, as that does away with worries, and has less potential to go wrong.

Use the same switches for the keyboard as for the top row and start select pyrabutton

Leds protruded by holes rather than lightpipes.

L/R buttons that are pcb mounted buttons with fixed keycaps rather than an extra plunger in front of it. There are 90 degree buttons like now that have instead two (one atop the other) buttons. Making more space for ports on the back.

Keys with already assembled keycaps and a square cutout for the keyboard area rather than many holes and a keymat.

Add a kensington lock to the opposite side of the curled knob.

Maybe the screen can slide from the bottom into the bezel holding it in place.

Thanks for your replies all =)

And pls do not wonder why I m not responding on every post up there.

As soon as I find time for this I m going to do the next iteration step. ^^

Back