Release Yabause

I've tested Elevator Action and Daytona USA on my Pandora. The former seems to work just fine - just really slowly. Daytona runs without sound, although that could have been my dump, but it's about 1 frame per second.

I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but the prospect alone of having Saturn on the Pandora is spine tingling. Thanks Ari64!

Pandora is amazing it has one of the best emulators on gba,n64,mega cd,32x,neo geo and now finally sega saturn wow,totally amazing to say,if this can happen then 3do and jaguar will be no problem,but dreamcast is possibility.

The Nights issue is an actual bug, which doesn't occur using the interpreter. The rest of the things that have been reported are just limitations of Yabause.

Also, Nights into Dreams requires the audio tracks.

Got quite a few games running on this very nice work cant seam to get the input to accept dpad and buttons might be me its late and blue label vodka doesnt help lol.ah figured it out maybe people could list there preferences for specific games great work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every time I press run on the emulator with the dynarec selected, it crashes. It works fine when it is set on fast interpreter though. Is anyone else having this problem? Any ideas for a remedy?

EDIT

Here is the contents of the pndrun_yabause.out

Code:
=======================================================================================

PND             : /media/PANDORA16GB/pandora/menu/emulators/yabause-r2657.pnd

PND_FSTYPE      : Squashfs

APPDATADIR      : /media/PANDORA16GB/pandora/appdata/yabause

APPDD_FSTYPE    : vfat

PND_CPUSPEED    : <unset>

EXENAME         : scripts/yabause.sh

ARGUMENTS       : <unset>

=======================================================================================

[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------

Mounting : mount -t squashfs "/dev/loop1" "/mnt/utmp/yabause"

Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/PANDORA16GB/pandora/appdata/yabause=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/yabause=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/yabause"

[SUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Starting the application (scripts/yabause.sh ) ----------

Init new dynarec

Compile at bogus memory address: 100000 

[ FAILED]--- Starting the application (scripts/yabause.sh ) ----------

[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/yabause': Device or resource busy

[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

[SUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

cleanup done

[SUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------

Return code is : 2

Wow, this caught me completely by surprise.. cheers Ari

I do hope some progress is able to be made with this, but i am a little torn between Ari spending his valuable time on this & improving Mupen.. exciting stuff though.

EDIT:

Doesn't work for me, launching causes an empty white box to appear in the upper left corner of the desktop which i can't remove without rebooting.. anyone got any ideas?

I am stunned the Saturn is running on Pandora. Awesome work (again) already Ari64 :)

Just how do you dev's do this stuff, its astounding
wub.gif

I've tested a few games using your recommended settings and am ripping a few more (Tomb Raider, Policenauts, a few Soccer titles) but I've found that :

Loaded - works fine

House of the Dead - doesn't work. Just hangs after the bios sega screen.

Snatcher - works fine to the start screen. Runs the FMV but crashes back to the desktop when you select 'New Game'.

Virtua Cop 2 - doesn't work. Just hangs after the bios sega screen.

Are there many / any other handhelds that can do this ?

EDIT:

Doesn't work for me, launching causes a empty white box to appear in the upper left corner of the desktop which i can't remove without rebooting.. anyone got any ideas?

Try a fresh download. Grab a bios file and set all the settings up from the preferences exactly as mentioned in the first post. Probably a bad download.

edit: to make suggestions for Disco Devil

I am stunned the Saturn is running on Pandora. Awesome work (again) already Ari64 :)

Just how do you dev's do this stuff, its astounding
wub.gif

I've tested a few games using your recommended settings and am ripping a few more (Tomb Raider, Policenauts, a few Soccer titles) but I've found that :

Loaded - works fine

House of the Dead - doesn't work. Just hangs after the bios sega screen.

Snatcher - works fine to the start screen. Runs the FMV but crashes back to the desktop when you select 'New Game'.

Virtua Cop 2 - doesn't work. Just hangs after the bios sega screen.

EDIT:

Doesn't work for me, launching causes a empty white box to appear in the upper left corner of the desktop which i can't remove without rebooting.. anyone got any ideas?

Try a fresh download. Grab a bios file and set all the settings up from the preferences exactly as mentioned in the first post. Probably a bad download.

edit: to make suggestions for Disco Devil

Nope, tried re-downloading (several times) already got a bios file, but can't set any options as i can't launch the emulator without the aforementioned issue.

Thanks anyway.

Sorry dude, wasn't meant as patronising either. Is it correctly making an appdata folder and is it making a pndrun_yabause.out file in the filesystem/tmp/pndrun_yabause.out that you can get to before you have to reboot? Or is it locking the system up aswell, which will prevent getting that temp file. The contents of that file pasted here, maybe of use to Ari64 or others to spot what's wrong in your case.

Saturn is awesome. Anybody helping making it run is awesome, too!

For the chart: Just ripped Dragon Force. It runs slowly - ~2fps@800MHz during conversations, I haven't tried the battlefield - with slightly glitchy sound.

Tried ripping Mystaria but failed. Brasero/cdrdao hangs at about 50%.

Similar for Manx TT Superbike, damn it!

Kaiteidaisensou also won't rip, ffs.

The rip of ge-kka-mu-gen-tan Torico works, it's title screen has glitchy graphics. The FMVs work, looks like 1 frame per second. Sound glitches.

Sorry dude, wasn't meant as patronising either. Is it correctly making an appdata folder and is it making a pndrun_yabause.out file in the filesystem/tmp/pndrun_yabause.out that you can get to before you have to reboot? Or is it locking the system up aswell, which will prevent getting that temp file. The contents of that file pasted here, maybe of use to Ari64 or others to spot what's wrong in your case.

It's doing neither (first thing i checked after re-booting) soon as it launches i get a white block of colour in the upper left corner of the desktop and have to hard reset, don't really know what else to tell you.

Difficult to know what to suggest there Disco Devil, as its useful to get that file but its wiped after a reboot so you cant. I had similar with a few programs once. Have you tried downloading both direct to Pandora and also to a PC and transferring it? Otherwise its a bit drastic to reflash to get one app to run.

Well I tested my remaining games that others hadn't already done, so a few more for the compatibility list.

Policenauts - Crashes. Stops after the bios sadly.

Sega Worldwide Soccer 97- Crashes.

Tomb Raider - Has Problems. This actually runs well all the Intro movies (slowly), choppily runs the demo with some rendering errors and slowdown, gets though to the menus and starts the first area. However you cant really do anything, as the GFX rendering the environment textures is like a kaleidoscope around Lara. Its listed as not working at all on most Yabause lists though.

Uefa Euro 96 - Starts Up. Displays the first two loading screens and then crashes.

Here is the contents of the pndrun_yabause.out
You need to set the location of valid BIOS file in preferences.

There's nothing really special needed to compile and run Yabause on the Pandora. It should work on any Linux system with x11+gtk+sdl. The dynarec will do ARMv7a or x86/x86-64.

Is there already sgx rendering or does it softwarerendering right now?

Thanks to everyone who is reporting their results! We now have 44 titles listed on my compatibility list. Of which, 14 crash on boot, 12 start up but crash or otherwise don't work later, 5 have problems but are still playable to some degree, and 12 that work fine.

Just keep in mind that all of these games run really slow. The only game I've found fast enough to be enjoyable is Bust-A-Move 2: Arcade Edition. Maybe Ari will be able to squeeze more speed out of this, but don't get a Pandora just because it's got a Saturn emulator, or you will be sorely disappointed. I will admit though, that just being able to run Saturn games on my Pandora is awesome, regardless of speed. It reminds me of Playstation emulation on the GP2X.

EDIT: About NiGHTS.... It originally crashed at the "This is an officially licensed SEGA product", so I tried a different dump... and got the same result. So, I dumped my own copy and tried it. The result? ...Same. So unless I've gotten 3 bad dumps, NiGHTS doesn't seem to be working.

Back