Xpladdv725.wmf????

Status
Not open for further replies.
forecastfox - very useful. gives you a weather bar. my friends think i'm psychic now because of my weather predictions :ph34r:
colourful tabs - i like this because it just makes the tab title in a coloured box. it just adds some colour to the window xD
antipagination - useful in forums, although it doesnt work with some code i think. i usually forget to use this, unfortunately, but what it does is turn a topic with lots of pages into one bigass page.

all the others have already been mentioned :) and oh yes, firefox rules.

nickspoon posted on Mar 6 2006 at 03:40 PM said:
To anybody who has IE installed at work/school: use Portable Firefox.

Portable Firefox can run directly from a flash disk and is a fully-functional version of Firefox. I use it at school and it's amazing. It also used to allow me to bypass the filter but someone informed the network admins and they patched up the hole.
all the student computers in the computer classes have firefox and the teachers computers in my school, the library computers don't for some reason :/

Last edited by a moderator:
DemonStar55 posted on Mar 6 2006 at 08:47 PM said:
nickspoon posted on Mar 6 2006 at 03:40 PM said:
To anybody who has IE installed at work/school: use Portable Firefox.

Portable Firefox can run directly from a flash disk and is a fully-functional version of Firefox. I use it at school and it's amazing. It also used to allow me to bypass the filter but someone informed the network admins and they patched up the hole.
all the student computers in the computer classes have firefox and the teachers computers in my school, the library computers don't for some reason :/
Lucky. My school refuses to install it because they "won't get support from Microsoft". I don't see their logic. What's so great about being able to talk to an Asian guy over a phone who always tells you to restart your computer?

i can pretty much use basic firefox and be happy. but i do use:

adblock plus (even better than the original)
download statusbar (no need for the download window)
bugmenot

also linky and the occasionaly greasemonkey script. for the uninitiated....greasemonkey lets you add scripting to firefox on a per-site basis. it's really great and there's a lot of nice scripts out there.

Just thought I'd chime in here ... I just had to install Firefox on my work PC .... I forgot about the exploit, and came here using IE ... goddamn exploit tried to rape my PC :angry:

Luckily, my anti-virus programs caught it in time ... also luckily, I was able to install Firefox with no trouble (I don't have admin rights on this PC)

OK, so what damage has actually been done ? I was using IE yesterday, and got the message box that wouldn't go away, and it would hang on the forum page.

I was up to date with all windows updates, and had (an out of date) Norton firewall and XP firewall running, as well as Norton Anti-virus (again out of date)

Surely nothing will have got through that lot, and if it did, how do I tell, and how do I get rid of it ?

Thanks for any guidance ...

(A converted Firefox user :D )

Knowing Norton Anti-Virus, even if it didn't get through your Windows Updates and Firewalls, Norton would have opened the door for it. Get AVG Free, it's so much better. I also use ZoneAlarm (which is free too) as my firewall.

And while we're on the subject of getting rid of crap software, ditch Adobe Acrobat Reader and use Foxit Reader.

I got stung - first time in years that anything has got through my (admittedly old) protection. Nasty trojan horse got installed on both my home PCs.

:(

I've followed many people's advice on here and used AVG and it found the blighter. Also installed Firefox for what its worth.

If you saw the script box then there is a good chance you got hit and you'd better install/update and run some virus protection.

aapje89 posted on Mar 6 2006 at 09:53 PM said:
nickspoon posted on Mar 6 2006 at 10:36 PM said:
And while we're on the subject of getting rid of crap software, ditch Adobe Acrobat Reader and use Foxit Reader.
why?, is it faster? it isn't opensource.
Much faster. Adobe Reader is bloat. Completely. Notice how much memory and stuff Adobe Reader takes up? This is so much better. Lighter on your computer. You can set it to your default reader and use it in Firefox too.

gotta love the way everyone talks about Firefox as being godly yet always forget to mention the memory leaks...

fixing the problem isn't exactly hard. The iframe is almost certainly hard coded in the html just search the folder for the offending url and delete it. Then sort out the security, if they've managed to modify the code, they probably have access to your passwords.

What memory leaks? I'm running the 1.5.0.1 that's supposed to be full of them, but it uses around 36mb memory, not a lot

nickspoon posted on Mar 6 2006 at 04:55 PM said:
aapje89 posted on Mar 6 2006 at 09:53 PM said:
nickspoon posted on Mar 6 2006 at 10:36 PM said:
why?, is it faster? it isn't opensource.
Much faster. Adobe Reader is bloat. Completely. Notice how much memory and stuff Adobe Reader takes up? This is so much better. Lighter on your computer. You can set it to your default reader and use it in Firefox too.

I'll second that, foxit is my pdf reader of choice in windows. The only problem is sometimes I'll run into a PDF that doesn't open with it - like ones that are encrypted, at which point I fall back to the bloat tasktic Adobe Reader.

whitley posted on Mar 5 2006 at 07:05 PM said:
BAN MY FUCKING ACCOUNT AND FUCK YOUR STUPID GP2X WHICH IS BASICALLY AN OVERRATED PIECE OF SHIT.

I AM NOW IN THE PROCES OF LETTING EVERY FORUM KNOW ABOUT THE SHIT THAT IS THIS FORUM.

I AM UTTERLY DISGUSTED AT THE OWNERS OF THIS SHIT SITE.

FUCK YOU ALL.
Sorry to bring this one up again. I just got in from work and it made me smile... :D

DijiTao posted on Mar 6 2006 at 05:16 PM said:
Aninhumer posted on Mar 6 2006 at 05:12 PM said:
What memory leaks? I'm running the 1.5.0.1 that's supposed to be full of them, but it uses around 36mb memory, not a lot

It's not a memory leak - it's a feature:

http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?...6/02/14/2154224

Firefox has gone down the Micro$oft way....

*insert dramatic NOOOO here*

..... On a completely different note, DemonStar55 your sig ruins the ending for Berserk. Well not really, but when I watched the last episode, that one scene in your sig jumped out...

Shikaku posted on Mar 6 2006 at 05:46 PM said:
..... On a completely different note, DemonStar55 your sig ruins the ending for Berserk. Well not really, but when I watched the last episode, that one scene in your sig jumped out...

What sig? ;) Note: I adblocked it, but didn't remove it ... though it was close ... it was hovering around the "Big as my thumb layed on its side as a comparison" size, which breaks the rule:

- having a huge sig (filesize or physical size)

Shikaku posted on Mar 6 2006 at 05:46 PM said:
DijiTao posted on Mar 6 2006 at 05:16 PM said:
Aninhumer posted on Mar 6 2006 at 05:12 PM said:

It's not a memory leak - it's a feature:

http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?...6/02/14/2154224

Firefox has gone down the Micro$oft way....

*insert dramatic NOOOO here*

sorry I guess, I didn't think it gave away too much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back