Xperia Play vs. Yinlips YDPG 17

robohappy

Looking for a small android gaming device, and I found these two, so my question is which one is better? Also if anyone found a similar sized Android gaming device, please feel free to tell me. 

110328122vx.jpg

Free-shipping-Yinlips-YDPG17-Android-4-0-ARM-Cortex-A8-1-2GHz-DDR3-512M-Wi-Fi.jpg

I have the Xperia Play and emulation was good on it, withPS games playing well as you'd expect... But it's a bit small screen and no versions of Android beyond gingerbread, think I had a icecream-sandwich skinned version of gingerbread.

Perhaps check the iReadygo Much phones too... The g2 and i5 ...both newer versions of Android, phones too. The i5 being the better in terms of controls.

Both 5" screen if I remember right... Plenty clips on YouTube demonstrating both

I have the Xperia Play and emulation was good on it, withPS games playing well as you'd expect... But it's a bit small screen and no versions of Android beyond gingerbread, think I had a icecream-sandwich skinned version of gingerbread.

Perhaps check the iReadygo Much phones too... The g2 and i5 ...both newer versions of Android, phones too. The i5 being the better in terms of controls.

Both 5" screen if I remember right... Plenty clips on YouTube demonstrating both
The iReadygo Much phone i5 are too big, and the g2 lacks shoulder buttons and a dpad. I also need something I can fit in my pocket. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
The complete, all-in-one GAMING cellphone isn't out there yet....

give it maybe 6 months - Samsung (and then Sony) will be on it...

The complete, all-in-one GAMING cellphone isn't out there yet....

give it maybe 6 months - Samsung (and then Sony) will be on it...
It does not have to be a phone, just a pocket sized android device with gaming controls.

Another alternative is JXD S602B

JXD-S602B-1.jpg

I don't have this device...so don't know if it's better.

I had over XDADEVS and other Sites real Android 4.0 ICS running fluid on the Xperia Play.

There are many Custom Roms out for it ^_^

Maybe another Goody for you.

There exist for the Xperia Play much bigger Accu up to 4500 Mah and more.

Then you need only 2 Times in the Week Charging up your Device ^_^

Maybe another Goody for you.

There exist for the Xperia Play much bigger Accu up to 4500 Mah and more.

Then you need only 2 Times in the Week Charging up your Device ^_^
It makes it alot bulkier though right? And a additional question.... how stable is Android gingerbread on the xperia play and is it possible to put Android 4.0 on it and be completly stable?

it's possible to put official ice cream sandwich beta image on the xperia play, the port done by sony was only half finished and not as stable, there exists on XDA community firmware that fixes the things wrong with the official "partially released" version of ICS. The gingerbread port offers better speed and battery life, and stability, at the expense of slightly lower compatibility in features and applications and games. Emulators are mainly uneffected by either build.

Don't get a JXD S602, the hardware sucks bad. Battery & chipset. The yinlips is better hardware but still not as good as the Xperia Play. If it must be android I'd say get the xperia play with an aftermarket battery 3500-4000mah battery. It increases the thickness by about half, but improves the feel of the device while playing and more than doubles the battery life to 10-12 hours of "real gaming" I truly enjoyed the device in it's time.

here's a review I did a while back

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/2746-xperia-play-vs-pandora//URL]

Nothing else other than what's been mentioned really has filled that level of pocket emulator in the android market that appears to be the specific niche you're looking for. The JXD S601 varients were decent but the battery and controls kinda sucked as well, just not as bad as the 602's.

I would honestly say get a GCW Zero though, it does everything up until you get to PS1 very well. The PS1 emulator exists but is not optimized for the GCW hardware features and is very rough at best, complete bullshit at worst. If you want 80-90's consoles in an extreme portabability form factor then absolutely get a zero. If PS1 and some N64 is important then get an xperia play. I would say that a PS1 emulator will eventually come to the zero, but I've been saying that for over a year now and it hasn't happened yet. I still think it's coming eventually though.

If you want nintendo DS, PSP, gamecube, N64 with best compatibility and speed the software allows then get a nvidia shield. For me, I take a hit in portability for best speed and comfort with that as my chosen handheld. If you want to play game computers from the 70's-80's and most of what the shield is capable of abite not as fast get a pandora. I'll put money on that the Pyra will get comparable levels of speed to the shield in emulation but actually be able to fit in your pocket and will be good game computer emulation as well if you can wait.

Hope that answers your questions.

it's possible to put official ice cream sandwich beta image on the xperia play, the port done by sony was only half finished and not as stable, there exists on XDA community firmware that fixes the things wrong with the official "partially released" version of ICS. The gingerbread port offers better speed and battery life, and stability, at the expense of slightly lower compatibility in features and applications and games. Emulators are mainly uneffected by either build.

Don't get a JXD S602, the hardware sucks bad. Battery & chipset. The yinlips is better hardware but still not as good as the Xperia Play. If it must be android I'd say get the xperia play with an aftermarket battery 3500-4000mah battery. It increases the thickness by about half, but improves the feel of the device while playing and more than doubles the battery life to 10-12 hours of "real gaming" I truly enjoyed the device in it's time.

here's a review I did a while back

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/2746-xperia-play-vs-pandora//URL]

Nothing else other than what's been mentioned really has filled that level of pocket emulator in the android market that appears to be the specific niche you're looking for. The JXD S601 varients were decent but the battery and controls kinda sucked as well, just not as bad as the 602's.

I would honestly say get a GCW Zero though, it does everything up until you get to PS1 very well. The PS1 emulator exists but is not optimized for the GCW hardware features and is very rough at best, complete bullshit at worst. If you want 80-90's consoles in an extreme portabability form factor then absolutely get a zero. If PS1 and some N64 is important then get an xperia play. I would say that a PS1 emulator will eventually come to the zero, but I've been saying that for over a year now and it hasn't happened yet. I still think it's coming eventually though.

If you want nintendo DS, PSP, gamecube, N64 with best compatibility and speed the software allows then get a nvidia shield. For me, I take a hit in portability for best speed and comfort with that as my chosen handheld. If you want to play game computers from the 70's-80's and most of what the shield is capable of abite not as fast get a pandora. I'll put money on that the Pyra will get comparable levels of speed to the shield in emulation but actually be able to fit in your pocket and will be good game computer emulation as well if you can wait.

Hope that answers your questions.
The GCW Zero looks AWESOME. Its like a mini Pandora! However, there is one key factor I need to know, is there a android port for the device? (For Youtube, Netflix, and occasional web browsing) (BTW I have a Nvidia Shield, and its waaay to big for me, plan on selling it soon)

No android, the operating system is like the Pandora minus the desktop environment

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Well its open source software, and there is technically a MIPS branch of android, and there's Linux source for the GCW hardware... So yes technically yes you could port it. And its powerful enough to run, but there's tons of reasons why it would be unusable.

Well its open source software, and there is technically a MIPS branch of android, and there's Linux source for the GCW hardware... So yes technically yes you could port it. And its powerful enough to run, but there's tons of reasons why it would be unusable.

Why would it be unstable, I thought Android could operate without a touchscreen?

Why would it be unstable, I thought Android could operate without a touchscreen?
It can, and while not ideal, it can function if that was the only thing holding it back. The problem comes with the fact that the processor is MIPS, and not ARM. Superficial apps written in java will run like some web browsers and some music apps, simple games etc. But the problems start to really show when you try to run emulators and the "good" android games and apps. Things like Netflix will not run for example, and without intimate knowledge of how specific apps are written you won't know if it will work or not until the app force closes on ya.

In short MIPS android is technically android, but without the thing that makes android great, the vast library of software. Its bad like how windows rt is bad compared to real windows.

512mb of ram is more than adequate for their Linux build but for android its more of a minimum requirement. 1ghz processor so will produce a mediocre experience as well, but other than that I don't see too huge a problem other than the fantastic effort it would take to port it for what is generally a lackluster or in my opinion severely gimped and unusable experience.

The programming effort would be much better spent getting existing software to run better or bring to it things that don't already exist. Porting an operating system is quite a bit of work, not generally one of your Sunday morning projects.

So the xperia play is my best bet? Or are there any others you guys would like to mention?

Back