Pandora vs Nvidia Shield vs Yinlips YDPG 17

If you want a quality monsters device for entertainment purpose get the shield,Pandora a carry on office and game device,please no Chinese

Peoples don't get it,the shield nothing to compares, like the song from Sinead O'Connor.

Pandora for developers and easy quick mini Office machine

Nvidia really did a nice job with the shield for gaming purpose and they still doing, the only one thing, I hope they a better job with the design for the next one.

I just want to said for the last time, there is a need for all in one portable, game, console, entertainment, networking, netbook,TV, device..

Peoples don't get it,the shield nothing to compares, like the song from Sinead O'Connor.

Pandora for developers and easy quick mini Office machine

Nvidia really did a nice job with the shield for gaming purpose and they still doing, the only one thing, I hope they a better job with the design for the next one.

I just want to said for the last time, there is a need for all in one portable, game, console, entertainment, networking, netbook,TV, device..
It's not that simple, a convergence of use cases exist. I'm sure people tell themselves the 2 devices are light years apart, but its just ideology and how they come out of the box, The differences as far as limitations are very much in the hardware. You can develop on the shield, just not as well as the pandora. You can chroot linux and connect to the android host to write android apps, or you can write apps natively within android (IDE's do exist in android), it becomes troublesome having to hook in a usb or bt keyboard though, so is using on screen keyboard is less than ideal, but it's still possible. You can also use a native linux on shield (non-public but it exists and not mature) and do basically the same stuff on shield you could do on pandora. The exact oposite can be said about the pandora, you can develop directly on the native mature linux that is ideal with a built in keyboard. You can run a chrooted android or boot one natively (non-public but it exists and not mature) you can do basically everything you can do on the shield on the pandora. Maturity of alternate software, and the primary uses of it's primary OS is definitely a selling point, but it's not a limiting factor.

What is a limiting factor like has been said is hardware options and setups. What we were saying before level of portability, maximum storage capacity, keyboard, controller quality, processor power, and native shipping OS preference is the deciding factors. Basically everything else is a measure of convergence or availability of software. As an example, the shield is also an all in one portable, game console, entertainment, network, networking, netbook, tv device as is the pandora. The hardware limitations don't directly limit use cases, just what is ideal for those use cases. that's why its important to know exactly the main uses to find the ideal device. Each has it's trade offs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that we are looking for simplicity and everything else depend for usability and practisability.

I do own 4 android device including my phone and a windows 8 laptop, I have all connected and using.

What I mean there are not a ideal machine yet,but everything its possible.

Uses, Uses, Uses. All it boils down too. Look at the Pandora and think I of its selling points

Sent from my Z665C using Tapatalk

I haven't tried the Shield in terms of emulation but I personally have had bad experiences emulating on android devices, Open Pandora is my choice here.

I do uses all them all because I do have TV in my apartment.

So the think is, all depend, let me be clear sometimes I don't understand  peoples:

Pandora Pyra; good community support, Linux, emulation, good quality crasftman machine, some improvements, what else you peoples tell me.Things that I don't like in Pandora to small, the SoC raw power, still the same design.

Shield; Monster; in quality, SoC,games, big company supporting,what else...The only thing that I don't like the bulky design and the screen.

Other like Surface: good quality, good design, strong company, power, what else. Couples things that I don't like, price, virus and Microsoft.

Other like apple Airpad: everything is good, but price and apple.

Other like Android tablet or chromebook: some reliable and some good, good design, some quality, price, some good SoC, what else.but, I do own one but older, some are cracks, SD card problems and some more.

To me its all about design, raw power SoC, display, WiFi and quality, the price too of course, but my personal preference is a big display.And something else peoples prefer a tablet for the only one reason comfort.

Based on the specs of the Omap 5 chipset that's currently the frontrunner for the Pyra, will this make it more powerful than the current Shield?

Based on the specs of the Omap 5 chipset that's currently the frontrunner for the Pyra, will this make it more powerful than the current Shield?
CPU wise for sure, Not sure how the PowerVR rates vs the Nvidia offerings.

CPU wise for sure, Not sure how the PowerVR rates vs the Nvidia offerings.
Just curious that's all mostly. One of the main draws for me on the original Pandora was in idea of decent handheld Amiga emulation, and so far the Pyra holds the same promise for Dreamcast emulation (hopefully)

I question it myself.. I thought the shield was running a dual core A9's and had a superior GPU.. looks like I'm wrong.

It's running quad A15's vs dual A15's the OMAP5 runs. However the Pyra won't need elaborate cooling.

Its not just about about The SoC,its everything else what it come, design,support,etc.

I don't think that Omap 5 with power vr can't beat tegra4 K1.

There are supposed to be things to make the different,like nvidia choose shield the clamshells don't like but they thought that this is the best design,the only good different for the shield its the company nvidia,the SoC and android game console.

Pandora Pyra,maybe a new powerful SoC,learn from mistake, community, still Linux,same design,but what about something new to make the different or differentiate from others beside open source

Well the Pandora is essentially running on first(CC/Rebirth)/second(1Ghz) Generation android hardware, Yet still as of today can do so much more than some current generation devices, since it's not tied to just Android and has a some bright people in the community.. Not to mention the Pyra is potentially going to be released with an upgrade-able SoC design... so down the road we can get something much better without totally needing to replace the whole device. 

Its not just about about The SoC,its everything else what it come, design,support,etc.

I don't think that Omap 5 with power vr can't beat tegra4 K1.

There are supposed to be things to make the different,like nvidia choose shield the clamshells don't like but they thought that this is the best design,the only good different for the shield its the company nvidia,the SoC and android game console.

Pandora Pyra,maybe a new powerful SoC,learn from mistake, community, still Linux,same design,but what about something new to make the different or differentiate from others beside open source
The difference is what it already has. Nobody builds a handheld game console with a keyboard. Nobody ships a full Linux handheld (with desktop environment) and nobody has dual SD slots or full usb hosts in a mobile. And especially nobody does all that together. Everything else it advertises and sports as features has been repeated over and over in many different ways on tons of devices. And as far as Linux can and has been reproduced by community driven firmware on certain devices.

There is only so many hardware features you can smash into a device before it becomes nonsense. Pandora is a good mix of common sense and unique features in my opinion, but it dances on the line big time and the cost kinda supports that. The pyra ups the ante but I suspect the price to go up from an already tough buy. The breakdown happens when other device options offer most of the same features that are important to the buyer and the unused features are just added cost.

Some may buy it for a particularly unique feature. For me personally, its a rather expensive keyboard with game controller, but I like keyboards, and its a particularly rare feature in a handheld arm device. Others obviously see it differently. Some may see the overall set as the feature and justify it that way, I'd imagine most are somewhere in between those extremes. The Pandora and pyra are unique in the set of feature, but it's a rather rare buyer that is looking specifically for everything it has to offer. Thus is the niche, and contains both types of buyers and all in between.

It is a dream (or nightmare) for server admins since the EU has stopped roaming costs. You have allways a linux netbook with with internet access in your pocket.

When I fly to spain for a beach holiday, sitting at the beach and reading a good book, I can take my Pyra out, and administrate via ssh and / or vnc servers of clients. This is very nice and a reason to buy it. Or a reason not to buy it, if you want to enjoy your holiday :p .

Edit: and there is no way I would the same thing with a smarth phone (android or iphone) with a locked down OS with unkown stuff running and backdoorsv This would be a big security issue.

Back