Xgp Exposure

i see no mention of a 3d chip in the mini spec that was translated in a different thread!

I don't really see much support for this device, I think its a really stupid decision to release 2 versions, I hope for them that the XGP can at least play all mini games without problems.... 300$ is a cheap desktop PC, and afaik thats even more than a PSP... Homebrew, thats what I got the GP2X for (for 100$ less).
I don't think it will have any success.

They said that the old GP32 commercial games will be available besides new content... They will probably be adapted to run on the XGPmini outside the box, so don't get your hopes up for easy homebrew conversion from the 32 to the Mini.

Good thing I got me a Blu+ while it was still in stock, that's all I've got to say :)

- Alex

They'll probably take the same route as the GP32 and try and target both Homebrew and Commerical. I wouldn't want a mini personally far too small! and the standard size is far too costly!

So they need to get something inbetween and scrap these designs that or lower the price of the standard by removing something i.e. the 3d graphics processor, oh but wait then were literally back to a GP2X ;)

As for wireless it's a pretty pointless idea for a games console such as the unknown Xgp...why not save a few pennies and remove it

mattyrb posted on Mar 3 2006 at 01:17 PM said:
They'll probably take the same route as the GP32 and try and target both Homebrew and Commerical. I wouldn't want a mini personally far too small! and the standard size is far too costly!

So they need to get something inbetween and scrap these designs that or lower the price of the standard by removing something i.e. the 3d graphics processor, oh but wait then were literally back to a GP2X ;)

As for wireless it's a pretty pointless idea for a games console such as the unknown Xgp...why not save a few pennies and remove it

Well honestly I just want to wait for more specs for the xgp. If it has homebrew and works well then its worth getting. As for wireless, it will be useful if they set up some sort of network interface or browser so u can play against other people across the internet. I also think the 3d chip is a good addition. It allows for better ports of more powerful emulators. The design does look pretty stupid though... ;) looks more like a beefed up psp. Hopefully it will have rechargable batteries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... the question for homebrew remains open.

But seriously: If it can do 3d with an appropriate chip, that doesn't mean it will emulate 2d games any faster. For SNES,GBA etc this is completely pointless... also: it doesn't have linux running on it, does it? Cause that is one MAJOR advantage on the gp2x side which enables lots of functions a handheld system with an own OS like the gp32 will never have...

Julius posted on Mar 3 2006 at 02:37 PM said:
The mini would be cool as a MP3 player replacement... the GP2x is just to big for that. But otherwise nothing that interest me.
Why the f**k would you want a $150 MP3 player?

The XGP Mini seems to lack in everything, and the XGP is too expensive. Plus, WiBro (short for Wireless Broadband, kinda like WiFi except with a range of up to 5 km) is useless outside of Korea, as is DMB. If DMB & WiBro were available here (which they may be in a few years, who knows? DMB is spreading) then the XGP would be a serious option for me, especially with 3D hardware. At the moment I'll pass.

nickspoon posted on Mar 3 2006 at 12:57 PM said:
Julius posted on Mar 3 2006 at 02:37 PM said:
The mini would be cool as a MP3 player replacement... the GP2x is just to big for that. But otherwise nothing that interest me.
Why the f**k would you want a $150 MP3 player?
Because that's how much good MP3 players cost anyways??? :blink:

hmm, afaik dmb is availible pretty much evryware in germany, not sure through. at least dab is.

but 300 is a bit to much, 200 is the limit for a handheld, at least for me.

I have a PSP so I am handled for 3D portable gaming. I have a GP2X so I am handled for emulation and HB. Playing on a 2" screen is not interesting for me. So these don't do it for me.

Back