Xbox 360 - Ps3, I Need Just A Little Bit Of Advice

Anyone who describes themselves as a hardcore gamer has got to be really great!

Half the people I know that have (or had) the GC got it because of the RE titles(and yeah RE4 is pretty badass!), not for Mario. Hell I told myself when I got it that I'd never willingly by a regular Mario game in the first 10 titles. I did however buy Luigi's mansion but that's just because it was cheap and it wasnt "Mario" I later picked up Paper Mario but I already had about 25 games by then.

DCGM, I only think like this because it's the truth. Before I laid down my 300 bucks for a PSone on launchday I spent months trying to decide if I shoud stay loyal to Nintendo that I suported for years even through their questionable choices in censoring on the SNES, move to Sega which I always concidered second best only because their systems usualy lacked either in hardware or games due to bad decisions or try this new Sony system hoping for a change and to do that I had to read tons of magazine articles, think long and hard about the history of each company up till then and scrutinize the value of every dollar I was likely to spend on the system and it's software.

I use the "M$" because it's true. Micro$oft throws money at every problem because Bill's got deep pockets. Sure other companies do it too but M$ does it and then gloats about it, shakes it in your face for a week and a half and then pins it to their door for you to see everytime you walk past. Which is one of the things that turned off Japanese gamers, as a culture they don't like egotistical grandstanding. I'm not japanese but I hate that type of additude just the same. Some people use the "$ony" and I can understand why but at the same time I've rarely seen them kick Nintendo in the teeth and then laugh at them.

mattmagoo posted on Aug 31 2005 at 06:40 PM said:
Yes but what you fail to undertsand is that very few of Sonys games are made by sony

they are made by Rockstar, Ubisoft and EA

if sony fucks up all the "excellent" games will quite easily land comfortably on anothe system

All three console manufacturers have exclusive 1st-party games that will sell their systems, Sony included.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think what he's trying to say is Sony dosent have an equivolent to Miyamoto or Yu Suzuki.

They do have a few talented studios butmany are subcontractors and could be bought away from them for the right price. If they had to rely on The Getaway, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter and Sly Cooper they'd do okay but not as well as they currently do.

ni always say this, and no matter who im saying it to, most people agree; nintendo caters to the younger crowd. Sony has BY FAR the greatest library of games, and most definitely the most versitle. That is one of the major reasons why the ps2 is so popular. M$ has 2 bread-winning games. Can you guess them? well i certainly can...
If they would broaden their horizon a bit, the xbox would surely start kicking ass. Both nintendo and M$ dont listen to the gamers. they do what they want, and expect people to flock to the new system. Sony was smart and listened. The gamer advisory panel, PS underground. All helped to shape the fucture of gaming.

Alpha2 posted on Sep 1 2005 at 08:08 PM said:
I think what he's trying to say is Sony dosent have an equivolent to Miyamoto or Yu Suzuki.

Yu Suzuki might make some good games, but he doesn't sell consoles. Gran Turismo, Halo and Mario sell consoles.

If they had to rely on The Getaway, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter and Sly Cooper they'd do okay but not as well as they currently do.

The same could be said of Microsoft and Nintendo. Actually, I think Nintendo are the only console manufacturer that could survive on first-party games alone, but even their renowned quality is waning IMHO.

M$'s main problem is getting the wider variety of games, it's no secret why most of they top selling games are first person shooters. That's the only tyle of developers they can convince to come on board, American and European style developers. Most other type of games come out of Japan, RPGs, SRPGs, Adventure games, Space Shooters, etc. They might have a few of these games but they're either multi platform or they kinda blow. Sony has a few stinkiers but because of the larger collection of games and more developers willing to publish on their system they have a wider selection to choose from to avoid those stinkers.

M$ had to drop the 360 first, it's likely they feel it's the only way to build a bigger library and thus consumer base. Assuming Sony dosnt pull a Dreamcast and stomp them with a system that's simply Better. (Mind you I loved the dream cast, thought it was Sega's best system... too bad Sega didn't think so.)

Huxley posted on Sep 1 2005 at 04:30 PM said:
Yu Suzuki might make some good games, but he doesn't sell consoles. Gran Turismo, Halo and Mario sell consoles.

He dosent sell consoles but the games he made did. GT and Halo are good but what hels have the producers of those games made? Omega Boost and.... uh... exactly, If there was a name in there that branched out and make more killer games they would be just as big a star rather than a one hit wonder with a few sequels under their belt... assuming they even held the positions across multiple games.

The same could be said of Microsoft and Nintendo. Actually, I think Nintendo are the only console manufacturer that could survive on first-party games alone, but even their renowned quality is waning IMHO.

Nintendo IS surviving on first party titles. RE4 was fucking awsome, but didn't sell more than a handfull of systems because so many people decided to demand it come out for PS2. When RE didn't break the CGs sagging sales, capcom who was already angry that Viewtiful Joe didn't break any records and was already to re-assess their "exclusivity" , decided it was time to desolve the contract and started production on the PS2 version of RE4. it may not be as pretty but more people will probably buy it simply because more people have PS2s. A weak seller on PS2 = Hot by CG numbers.

Nintendo's idea isn't exactly to cater to younger gamers, they want to be the gate way with which people enter gaming but they doesnt exclusivly mean kids. It just means simple game play that is unoffensive to others, unless you have a problem with italian stereotypes and furry animals. They view violence for the sake of violence and "the easy way out" they'd much rather something cartoony that the whole family can enjoy. But the problem is many gamers play alone or Online with friends now, it's not a family activity anymore and it's not neccessarily parents that are buying the games for their kids any more it's for themselves.

The day they realize the demographic has gotten wider is the day they get back some of their momentum.

Huxley posted on Sep 1 2005 at 08:30 PM said:

If they had to rely on The Getaway, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter and Sly Cooper they'd do okay but not as well as they currently do.

I think there's something wrong with the world when a Yu Suzuki/ AM2 game doesnt sell consoles

I think its a crying shame that games like Outrun 2, Shenmue and even Beach Spiker have gone largely unnoticed

I have also noticed, if you ignore the complete whoring of mario (DDR, Baseball, Football, Party, Basketball, Kart etc.) that Nintendo have started producing some pretty good games again

Jump! Superstars and Chibi Robo are fine examples, because they are not "Nintendo" games

Nintendo are releasing their "revolution" soon I believe, if it truly is a revolution (which I doubt a little, mind you I don't believe they've ever been this secretive) I think that will make or break Nintendo

Microsoft have a good advantage, a lot of people are still unaware of whats going on with the next gen stuff, so I think as soon as they see what the 360 can do they will flock to it (as people did with the DS, not realising that the PSP could do a lot better)

SONY are gambling, and hoping they're reputation brings them through, which is precisely what Nintendo did during the 32/64bit era, and they fucked up big time.

sony will be fine with the ps3. They have their loyal fans (like me :D ), and people like that stick with them. I love nintendo for what they've done in the past, but unless they pull the large stick up their asses out, they will end up sega #2 ;)

They completely fucked up with the cube, predicting that even w/o a dvd player it will kick ass, but when you look at xbox and the ps2, you have to say it was a large mistake on their part. would it have hurt to include a player? Absolutly not. And as it is widly known, nintendo has a tendancy to skip M games and stick to E and T. Everyone likes some goomba stomping and mushroom grabbing action, but every now and then we all wanna just sit back, and blow the heads off of zombies and rocket-launch villages. We all need some variety, which nintendo is truly skimping out on <_<

Matt: why are Sony gambling with the PS3?

GT and Halo are good but what else have the producers of those games made?

I could provide a list, but it wouldn't be very impressive. Fact is, the ONLY first-party developer with a proven track record of making great game after great game is Nintendo, specifically Miyamoto. So, without such rare talent Sony and Microsoft have to rely on individual franchises like Halo and GT to sell their console as 'the killer app'. And it works.

I'm not saying they're better than Yu Suzuki's games, they're not (generally...I hated Shenmue), but they are more likely to sell consoles.

Nintendo IS surviving on first party titles.

True to a certain extent, but they survived this generation past primarily through GBA sales. If they were relying on the GC alone I think they'd have done a Sega by now.

mattmagoo posted on Sep 1 2005 at 09:12 PM said:
I think its a crying shame that games like Outrun 2, Shenmue and even Beach Spiker have gone largely unnoticed

I agree, shenmue was an excellent game for the dreamcast.. if you even look at the graphics, it had everything that the PS2 could do.. and the DC was not even as powerful as the PS2, the game itsself even though not totally massive but quite big.. was really good, so that does tell you something doesnt it?

A lot of people simply did not like Outrun2 and Beach Spiker, the people I spoke to that played them were disgusted with them the same way they would be with a dog that crapped in their living room.

Shenmue IS a good pruduction... a good GAME? That's debatable. It's more like an interactive movie than anything else, In fact I have the DVD of Shenmue 1 and after the first 30 minutes you really start hoping a commercial break will bust in on your DVD player somehow. I still want to see the story though, strangly enough, but ultimately Shenmue 2 didn't sell more thana handful of Xboxs.

Nintendo has no intention of being a 3rd party. They would shift exclusivly to handheld gaming before that happens. Sega was forced into being a third party because they were suffering financially from over extending themselves in Arcade development and financing actual arcades in japan, hardware expenses and too many poor sellers. Nintendo in a better position because they've essentially given up arcades, they dont spend a lot on hardware development (the DS probably cost as much as the GBA SP and the GC had maybe 2 custom parts in the whole machine.) They made better profits last year than Sony did if you can believe it.

The GCs lack of DVD playback didn't hurt it, Nintendo's reputation hurt it. I have 4 DVD players in my room alone, in the whole house? a whopping NINE and I'm not even counting my Brothers 4 DVD capable laptops or the 2 external DVD drives we both own, so I dont need another! (I think many a home can claim atleast two at this point even if you concider my home a bit ridiculous.) After the N64 failed as hard as it did the Big N was barely a "lower case n" it made them look like amatures clinging to cartridges when everyone else had abandonded them. The public simply got tired of them not trying to keep up with the flow and it carried over into the Cube.

The problem with Sony these days is that they've stopped listening. Their consoles are created mainly to push their various new disc formats, the quality control in their production is pretty crap, and they're somewhat lacking in good games that aren't multiformat. They do, however, have a huge loyalty culture built around them (some of their press releases sound like posts by the average fanboy!), so I can't imagine them doing badly this generation

Microsoft are a little better. Although they're not at the GPX2 "actually, lets put more RAM in this, everyone seems to want more RAM" stage, they've proved time and time again to be listening to their customer service. I think they'll have impressed more 3rd Party developers this time round (after all, lets face it, stuff like the MTV launch wasn't for us, it was for executives that think that's what we watch, and Buzzwords like the 'Zen of gaming' are going to appeal to CEOs who don't know much about the games company they run). I can see them doing pretty well this generation

Nintendo are crafty. Their consoles are cheaper to produce than they sell them at, so when it comes down to it, unlike the other companies, all they have to shift is consoles. If they take the same approach as they did last time round (advertising themselves as a 'secondary' console, simply on the merit of their own games) but from the start, I think they'll do VERY well this generation.

So, from this I gather that Sony will lose some market share this time round, but lets face it, Sony could lose a huge amount of market share, and still be first, so it's going to be the same as last time round.

markusdragon posted on Sep 2 2005 at 03:41 AM said:
The problem with Sony these days is that they've stopped listening. Their consoles are created mainly to push their various new disc formats, the quality control in their production is pretty crap, and they're somewhat lacking in good games that aren't multiformat. They do, however, have a huge loyalty culture built around them (some of their press releases sound like posts by the average fanboy!), so I can't imagine them doing badly this generation

Microsoft are a little better. Although they're not at the GPX2 "actually, lets put more RAM in this, everyone seems to want more RAM" stage, they've proved time and time again to be listening to their customer service. I think they'll have impressed more 3rd Party developers this time round (after all, lets face it, stuff like the MTV launch wasn't for us, it was for executives that think that's what we watch, and Buzzwords like the 'Zen of gaming' are going to appeal to CEOs who don't know much about the games company they run). I can see them doing pretty well this generation

Nintendo are crafty. Their consoles are cheaper to produce than they sell them at, so when it comes down to it, unlike the other companies, all they have to shift is consoles. If they take the same approach as they did last time round (advertising themselves as a 'secondary' console, simply on the merit of their own games) but from the start, I think they'll do VERY well this generation.

So, from this I gather that Sony will lose some market share this time round, but lets face it, Sony could lose a huge amount of market share, and still be first, so it's going to be the same as last time round.

sony is still listening to the gamers dude. I got an email to take a survey from the gamer advisory panel yesterday. wtf are you talking about??

Nintendo wont do that much better than it has with the cube. Along with their new technology, sony and M$ have new technology. remember that.

the fact that you say M$ is listening to the gamers is making my stomache churn. the 2 games they have are halo anf halo 2 which are selling the console along with the online experience. They dont listing to anything other than maybe online gaming from time to time.

Microsoft does kinda of listen but they only listen to people who are willing to pay for LIVE. They're really only concered with those people as thats where their profits are coming from. If you don't have LIVE they dont care.

Sony is listening to people about software but they ignore key things, specifically build quality on hardware. They do that because in their mind they know a cheaper system will sell more. The PS3 should cost roughly 400 dollars but it will likely only cost 325 because they cut corners to try and save 75 bucks per unit. Cheaper system but more likely to have a problem.

Nintendo systems have been notoriously hard to break. Like old cars you can run them through a Demolition derby and as long as you can put power through them they'll still work because their insides are simple.

I wouldnt really call it new technology in their consoles, alright.. maybe it is, but if you already have a highend PC then you wont even notice that much of a difference, trust me on that one ;)

well my pc came to about £1,400-1,600.. so by price comparison you cant go wrong with the new consoles, though obviously.. you can do alot more with a PC as a entertainment system than any console.. though that is quite obvious anyway.

Back