Xbox 360 - Ps3, I Need Just A Little Bit Of Advice

Shadow of Chaos

Website
Visit site
Ok, i am currently looking at the 360, and i see from xbox-scene.com that it seems to be a little more powerful than the PS3.

This is not what i am worried about, since i think that either one of the consoles will look simular.. or one will be better than the other. The real problem i am having is the disc format, the 360 has support for dual layer DVD's.. 9Gb approx, while the PS3 can hold up to 50GB on its blu-ray disks.. Now, when you look at games like HL2 it only requires 1 single layered dvd disk to hold the whole game, including CS source.. So that means if there was quality as good, or a bit better than that on the 360.. it would have plenty of space left, correct?

I surely cant see game developers for the PS3 filling up every bit of disk space on the blu-ray disks, even pc games dont go over a single DVD that im aware of.. Today anyway.

Can someone here with good knowledge fill me in?

cheers

Shadow of Chaos posted on Aug 25 2005 at 12:50 PM said:
Ok, i am currently looking at the 360, and i see from xbox-scene.com that it seems to be a little more powerful than the PS3.
wow, you better dont listen to that fanboys, on paper ps3 is about twice as fast as x1.5, we will see how fast that is in real world aplications.

Shadow of Chaos posted on Aug 25 2005 at 12:50 PM said:
The real problem i am having is the disc format, the 360 has support for dual layer DVD's.. 9Gb approx, while the PS3 can hold up to 50GB on its blu-ray disks.. Now, when you look at games like HL2 it only requires 1 single layered dvd disk to hold the whole game, including CS source.. So that means if there was quality as good, or a bit better than that on the 360.. it would have plenty of space left, correct?
remember that consoles cant unpack the content to a hdd like the pc can. my full steam folder with hl1&expensions & hl2+expensions is at the moment 10.7gb.
Also more space allows of course better textures, more musik bigger levels and so on.
The x1,5 also seems to have a shortage on ram, some developers are allready complaining that they cant fit enugh high res textures in.
And with blueray you get also a nice hd-movie player with it, well i would get a seperate one, but its definality a +.

I would wait till both are out so they can be realy compared.

At the moment i prefer the ps3 through, you just get way more for your money, and i also dont realy like ms, they announced so much on e3, look whats left, no wifi, no wireless controlers as standart, hdd only as pricey extension, hdtv only as extension...
But i will propably get neither at launch and get the rev first, if it turns out to be good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vimacs posted on Aug 25 2005 at 07:20 AM said:
At the moment i prefer the ps3 through, you just get way more for your money, and i also dont realy like ms, they announced so much on e3, look whats left, no wifi, no wireless controlers as standart, hdd only as pricey extension, hdtv only as extension...
But i will propably get neither at launch and get the rev first, if it turns out to be good.

But how much money will that be? I'm with Vimacs though. xbox360 just dousn't impress me (I don't know where the hell youe heard 360 was more powerful, but whoever told you so is wearing blinders).

Things to consider though- ps3 will be pricey (my bet- $500, and thats without the optional hdd). The games will be more expensive as well- it's common knoledge that 360 games will be $60, but ps3 games may be as high as $70. one of the downsides to all this technology is higher production costs- and with all those gb's on one disk to fill comes more work (not that I think they will be filled, at least in the first gen titles).

Vimacs said it- wait till their both out; thats the only way you'll make the right decision

and also before people start bitching about the cost of the PS3 and XBOX 360, just remember. the Panasonic 3do and the Phillips CD-I both cost around $700 at launch.

If you've seen screens of the ps3 the graphics are much better than the 360. But im not going to get either at launch because im using most of my money on a gpx2/xgp. Gives me some time to figure out wich one is best. <_<

go to the link i told you about xbox-scene.com, it shows diagrams of the way the system works or something.. i forget, on one of the links on that page.. according to them, it shows its more powerful than the ps3.

the Xbox videos are 30% real hardware speed, the PS3 is just CGI video.. well, that is what ive read so far on alot of sites.

oh and the 360 does have wireless controllers..

Microsoft released a document comparing the PS3 and X360 hardware in order to show how the X360s hardware is better suited for games. It's a very convincing argument ... if it wasn't coming from Microsoft but a third party and I actually knew what the hell they were talking about.

Anyway, if Shenmue 3 is actually going to be released on a single platform, and includes the original 7 or 8 original chapters contained in Shenmue 1+2 as kikizo.com reported, it will make my choice of next-gen console very simple. I hope it's on the X360, the faster I get Shenmue the better.

Shadow of Chaos posted on Aug 25 2005 at 09:59 PM said:
go to the link i told you about xbox-scene.com, it shows diagrams of the way the system works or something.. i forget, on one of the links on that page.. according to them, it shows its more powerful than the ps3.

Considering that neither console actually exists yet, I think that kind of talk from anyone let alone Microsoft should be taken with a pinch of salt. Wait until we're a couple of years down the line before we compare. My spidey-sense tells me the PS3 will have a marginal technical advantage. About 6 months worth.

But, sony lied.. again.

360 has its own custom GPU from ATI, while ps3 has an existing chip from nvidia.

oh, and i dont want to wait a few years to see which is best.. New consoles will be out by then.

Shadow of Chaos posted on Aug 26 2005 at 08:24 AM said:
But, sony lied.. again.

360 has its own custom GPU from ATI, while ps3 has an existing chip from nvidia.
thats not true, both use custom chips.
And ms is liing all the time sine e3, they cut down the fetures all the time, not much left from the fetures they promoted at e3.

So, that's Microsoft's analysis. What do you make of it?
that whole article is a waste of time as it dosnt reflect anything and is 50% asumption and 50% ms marketing and number-good-calcing, theres a simmilar article from sony with the opposit result.

Dont trust any of them till you can compare the actual hardware in real world use.

a xbox1? not the ebst moment to get one, i would wait till x1,5 is out, i bet you can get tons of cheap ones then.

i love it. XBOX 360 vs PS3, battle of the ages and the poor Revolution sits in the back and watches. This is either a good thing for Nintendo, or bad.

Right now i say it's bad. XBOX 360 and PS3 in heated debates, getting more publicity, virtually nobody is talking about the revolution. Either nobody cares about it, or its just going to be idle and quiet and then be released and knock everyones socks off. Due to all the secrecy and everything around the Revolution and due to lack of rumors and debates over power, i think people are losing interest in it. And a system with no interest means no developers.

I'm going to make one prediction. Nintendo better make a lot of money off the DS and a new Gameboy or this will be the end for Nintendos home consoles.

Back