Xbox 2 To Be Unveiled In May

mattmagoo posted on Apr 13 2005 at 04:00 PM said:
surely then thats just a high capacity memory card

or a microdrive biggest ive seen around is 6 gig and costs around $250

Last edited by a moderator:
bast525 posted on Apr 13 2005 at 04:02 AM said:
you know I just saw Doom 3 in the store today... Took me totally by surprise I wasn't expecting to see it out yet. Been looking forward to this one forever but couldn't pick it up.... at the same time, having played it a bit on PC, yeah it looks awesome, but the gamplay isn't anything so special... maybe not worth a $50 purchase I dunno.

But I played the Xbox version at E3 last year and yeah there's no denying it's a spectacular looking game, and definatelys shows a good example of just how much more powerful the Xbox is than the PS2 (sorry Dave but believe it or not the GC and Xbox are actually VERY close in their graphical abilities, though you don't see it get put to the test as much). I agree that this is even more of a puzzler that they would be the first to rush out a new system when there is still quite a bit of potential left in the current one. A LOT of potential, just getting thrown away in the name of being the first guys with a new system out... stupid. I think another year or two could have seen some really amazing games come out of the Xbox yet.....

It depends on what you like in games. Doom3 may be dissapointing for those expecting the typical fragfest type run and gun shooter that the original doom was. Think of this as more of Doom meets Resident evil. It is a slower paced experience but it is very moody and creepy. It really sucks you in to feeling that you are actually in the environment. The ambient sounds of the machinery etc along with the creepy mood make it convincing.

As far as the GC being very close to the Xbox graphically, it is not that close really. The GC is basically as good for things like polygon count and framerate, but it is a bit weaker when it comes to bump mapping and per pixel shading, lighting and certain surface attributes. While it can do many of those effects they are more limited and aren't used much as it is harder for the system to handle. Usually when you have some of those effects you will not have others at the same time. I have yet to see a game on the GC that uses true real-time bump mapping on almost every surface, real time shadows, dynamic lighting, specular, and all at the same time like many Xbox games do. Usually when bumpmapping is done on the cube it is done on one object here and there but never on the whole scene, it seems to lack the graphical rendering bandwith and/or memory. I guess you have to be picky and a graphics whore to notice though. Most people don't even know what bumpmapping looks like , nor do they notice when it is done.

yeah, i agree..

by the way, how much graphical power do you guys expect from the new consoles? going from the rumors/specs/announcements, i don't think we're look at a performance leap like what we've seen from ps1 to dc/ps2. and i think it will be tough differentiating image quality between the new systems on a regular tv.
ah, we'll see!

I think the next round of consoles will be more powerful than a current high end gaming PC... not quite the CG graphics level people keep saying they are expecting though... I mean come on CG graphics is like what... The Incredibles kinda thing... you really think the new systems are gonna look THAT good... NO WAY!

I think if you looked on a screenshot/still image basis... if you took a game like Riddick or Doom 3 on the Xbox, I dont think the next gens will look THAT much better. In a still image. But once you see it in motion, I think you will see a game look as good as Riddick or Doom, but with way more detail going on, and with way more stuff able to be onscreen at once (more enemies, more effects), but with a framerate that stays butter smooth... so in motion I think it will be a big difference.

But no, I dont think it would be anything like comparing the leap from PS1 to PS2... more like from DC to PS2 or PS2 to Xbox, maybe.

20050413l.jpg

hehehe good one. :D

bast525 posted on Apr 14 2005 at 05:22 AM said:
I think the next round of consoles will be more powerful than a current high end gaming PC... not quite the CG graphics level people keep saying they are expecting though... I mean come on CG graphics is like what... The Incredibles kinda thing... you really think the new systems are gonna look THAT good... NO WAY!

I think if you looked on a screenshot/still image basis... if you took a game like Riddick or Doom 3 on the Xbox, I dont think the next gens will look THAT much better. In a still image. But once you see it in motion, I think you will see a game look as good as Riddick or Doom, but with way more detail going on, and with way more stuff able to be onscreen at once (more enemies, more effects), but with a framerate that stays butter smooth... so in motion I think it will be a big difference.

But no, I dont think it would be anything like comparing the leap from PS1 to PS2... more like from DC to PS2 or PS2 to Xbox, maybe.

Actually Doom 3 on Xbox is pretty smooth, especially considering all of the effects and stuff.

Remember that Xbox 2 will be high-def all of the time. Much of the extra power will be used up doing the extra resolution and scan-rate that high def requires. So I would imagine that the Xbox 2 will look like the best current xbox games only in HD resolution, and maybe a few more enemies on screen at once etc.

markusdragon posted on Apr 14 2005 at 05:44 PM said:
What about in territories that don't have HD?

You can still run in non-HD. They didn't say that games had to ONLY be HD, just that they all must all have a HD mode in them.

i also wish that the new systems will have vga/dvi out. it's not like it's an expensive feature! cuz not having to connect via a crappy vga box would be nice.

Back