Would Sega Saturn Be Possible?

davey g posted on Jul 26 2004 at 07:50 PM said:
17 mb .rar file to 700 mb iso file, hmmm is that Ikaruga I smell? I wonder how they did that.
An iso (international standards organisation) define`s the layout of the disc in question, That include`s all the empty areas of the disc which are compressed in the rar/zip file. So when the empty parts are compressed they take up no space at all in the rar/zip file. So that leave just the use parts of the disc, Which is the 17mb of the compressed file. The disc was not full, So 700mb > 17mb does go.

Breathe, Haaaa.

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
davey g posted on Jul 26 2004 at 06:50 PM said:
17 mb .rar file to 700 mb iso file, hmmm is that Ikaruga I smell? I wonder how they did that.
It's impressive but doesn't matter in this conversation; where're you going to put it after/while you unpack it? The GP32 only has 8MB of RAM, and "streaming decompression" on this kind of hardcore compression algo seems like a performance killer.

Now, if we could work up some kind of hard drive interface for the GP32.... *drool*

Last edited by a moderator:
i too want a harddrive in for of like a pendrive or something
but sadly i think it will never happen....

but 128 mbs is just not enough
but more smc's are to fragile to be portable imo

http://www.sega-saturn.com/saturn/other/tech.htm
read that, a total of 8 microprocessors of which 3 are powerful 32bit risc-processors
how do you want to emulate that with even 300mhz?
sure, you can leave the sound- and maybe the cd-chip out, but how do you want to emulate the 2 main-cpus and the 2 gfx-cpus?
would be a phat bitch, so no, it's not possible

psx could be slightly possible with usb-stick or hdd, or cd-support on gp32..

n64 - no
psx2 - no
psp - no
xbox - no
nds - no

Ok, about the comrpession crap and such, here is what you do:

You rip out the sound and movies by replacing it with a balnk file of the same extension Ex. .str

There ya go:) gp32_console

Back