Saturn Emulator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking.. Since a saturn was never really designed to run super 3d games and the video processors if I understand correctly were really just enhanced 2d processors would it be quite possible to run a saturn emulator on the gp2x?

reading about it this is what I see

Two Hitachi SuperH-2 7604 32-Bit RISC processors at 28.63 MHz (50-MIPS) - each has 4 KiB on-chip cache, of which 2 KiB can alternatively be used as directly addressable Scratchpad RAM

Custom Saturn Control Unit (SCU) with DSP for geometry processing and DMA controller (running at 14.3 MHz)

now they say for emulators you need a computer about 10times as powerful as the system.. and well.. I think the gp2x is about 10 times as powerful as the saturn processor wise and I could definetly see the dual cores being able to do some amazing things if split up right where to emulate the hitachi processors on one core, and the geometry processing on another core it would definetly seem plausible.

Just my .2 cents:

Its CPU architecture is not that much known as maybe the MIPS one from the PSX. Experience with that kind of CPU is less likely. (Just check the amount and quality of emulators done so far for this platform)

novaslogic said:
I was thinking.. Since a saturn was never really designed to run super 3d games and the video processors if I understand correctly were really just enhanced 2d processors would it be quite possible to run a saturn emulator on the gp2x?

Two Hitachi SuperH-2 7604 32-Bit RISC processors at 28.63 MHz (50-MIPS) - each has 4 KiB on-chip cache, of which 2 KiB can alternatively be used as directly addressable Scratchpad RAM

Custom Saturn Control Unit (SCU) with DSP for geometry processing and DMA controller (running at 14.3 MHz)
now they say for emulators you need a computer about 10times as powerful as the system.. and well.. I think the gp2x is about 10 times as powerful as the saturn processor wise and I could definetly see the dual cores being able to do some amazing things if split up right where to emulate the hitachi processors on one core, and the geometry processing on another core it would definetly seem plausible.

:excl::excl::excl::excl::excl::excl::excl::excl::excl::excl:NO:excl::excl::excl::excl::excl::excl::excl::excl::excl::excl:

If you can't get decent Saturn emulation on a reasonable PC, how do you expect it to run on the GP2X?

Last edited by a moderator:
novaslogic said:

You are going to be flamed badly dude... my fingers are already itching but I am going to explain it a little:
The saturn has a lot of different processors as you can see that would need to be emulated at the same time. This is not possible on the gp2x. It would not at all run playable if it could be done at all. You see, we can't even emulate the 32x.

Also, if you would have spent 5 minutes with the search function on the board, you would have noticed that we've got about a million threads asking this same thing to be done already. And the answer is always: No, not feasible at all...

Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back