600 Mhz Powerful Enough To

Stealth Bagel said:
Spelling 'us' as 'osse', 'resources' as 'resorsere', and 'available' as 'avemble'... I hope english isn't this guy's first language.
I'd go with knurd as an irishman.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stealth Bagel said:
Spelling 'us' as 'osse', 'resources' as 'resorsere', and 'available' as 'avemble'... I hope english isn't this guy's first language.
Thanks for the translation. I literally couldn't read his post. :lol:

Stealth Bagel said:
What the heck? Of course he isn't. So what? Last time i checked my first, or second language wasn't English either. Apparently you figured out what he wanted, ignored it, and had to make some condescending post about his spelling? Yo! If your trying to bash him, at the very least spell English with a capital E, as it should be spelled!

B!

I didn't criticize his point; and not capitalizing English does not affect the meaning of a sentence.... his writing was incomprehensible.

Quite obviously you did figure out the meaning of the words. So, your point was?
B!

Ummm, the guy said his first language wasn't english, he might be trying as hard as he can. :)

Oh and just in case everyone hasn't seen this.

76395312ep2.png

Some of you guys should do some research before you start saying what the chip can and can't do.

That's quite impressive. But also quite irrelevant.
It's important which default specs the producer of the Pandora stated for the console.
The dev board runs @550Mhz. That is all we now for sure...

sbock said:
That's quite impressive. But also quite irrelevant.
It's important which default specs the producer of the Pandora stated for the console.
The dev board runs @550Mhz. That is all we now for sure...
The default is what's irrelevant. What's relevant is what it can and can't do.

Yes, but you only can judge and compare what a machine is capable of, when you know the specs.

sbock said:
Yes, but you only can judge and compare what a machine is capable of, when you know the specs.
But we know the CPU can scale to > 1Ghz.

I hope you guys realise that when they say the CPU can scale to 1GHz, they mean they can produce it in speeds up to that point, not that every A8 can overclock to that speed.

Not every gp2x can get to 266mhz, but it is quite common. I don't think ARM would make a claim if most processors couldn't reach their stated speed.

ARM's website says that all of their frequency tests are "Worst case conditions, slow silicon".

For example, they tested the max clock for the processor in the gp2x as 250mhz. I haven't heard of too many people who couldn't reach that speed. So they deserve some credibility in that sense.

50353276sk7.png

I'm sure we'd all like to think that we'll be OC'ing to 1.1GHz and above as indicated by ARMs papers, but the 1.1GHz behemoths were developed to reach high clockrates at the expense of features that will benefit the Pandora.

TI build their chips with lower default clockspeeds, but according to your graph, we should be able to clock well beyond 650MHz as long as the environment is adequate.

Whisk the Cat: Refer to your column (LP).

I don't think we are getting the ones with the LP production process. Or so I was lead to believe. As this isn't going to be a device with a small low power battery.

*cries*
My GP2X will only go to 245 without crashing.

I think the most important thing is for games and apps to be made to work in the spec specified, ie not requiring overclocks. Of course, if the game runs fine without it but even better with it, that's not an issue, but other than emulators (which in some cases will HAVE to utilise OC to even function and wouldn't be possible without it) I feel that's an important point when making software for a system.

Peter R said:
I don't think we are getting the ones with the LP production process. Or so I was lead to believe. As this isn't going to be a device with a small low power battery.
I hope we get GP, but TI would only mass produce LP because GP leaks power in standby. Therefore it will suck for phones which will be >99% of units sold by TI.

Crossing fingers for GP still. :D

icurafu said:
I hope we get GP, but TI would only mass produce LP because GP leaks power in standby. Therefore it will suck for phones which will be >99% of units sold by TI.
Ti is very proud of their power management techniques, so if they can back up what they say they shouldn't have much issue controlling the GP. Also you are forgetting that the OMAP3430 is the top of the line in the OMAP series so it wouldn't make much sense to not step it up. One more thing is that high end media players are also a target market for this chip, not just little cell phones.

whiskthecat said:
icurafu said:
Ti is very proud of their power management techniques, so if they can back up what they say they shouldn't have much issue controlling the GP. Also you are forgetting that the OMAP3430 is the top of the line in the OMAP series so it wouldn't make much sense to not step it up. One more thing is that high end media players are also a target market for this chip, not just little cell phones.

Also forgetting that Pandora is going to be far from what would be considered high volume or mass produced. If it didn't get the 1% of OMAP3430s you think will be for it then what do you think they'll make them for?

Back